Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

I am really embarrassed Charm :blush: I thought I saw the name 'J.R. Ward) in one of your posts and now I can't find it! :blush: I wanted to say I have the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series ~ 'Dark Lover', I have heard great things about them. Have you read most of the series? :friends3:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, The Resurrectionist has been sitting on my bedside table waiting for me to pick it up since I wrote that post, it just puts me to sleep! Drags a bit I'm afraid.

Both Fantasy Lover and Pleasure Unbound are definitely not for young adults, I'm not sure I should be recommending them to older adults! :lol:

*coughchokesplutter*!! :haha:

That sucks about the Resurrectionist. I saw that in a charity shop and the Blurb looks really inticing. Hmm my mojo is still tempermental so I may slot it down a few notches.

Oh you should recommmend them to me I need something to kick start my mojo!!! :thud:

Are you alright there Charm, you seem to have an awful cough.?? :P

Well, all you lovely ladies have convinced me to take Hamilton's 'Guilty Pleasures' with me on my vacation! I need some um, 'fluffy' adult reading materials, :lol: Then I'm sure I'll be on the hunt for more of them when I get home!

Hehe, you likea 'bit of fluff' don't cha Peacfield? *High five* Join the 'Bit of fluff' group for Sweet...Innocent..Ladies'

Oooh, another Kresley fan! Almost enough for a fan club :giggle: Last one I read was Pleasure Of A Dark Prince and I'm almost certain there's another one due out soonish :) Have you read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Infinity? It's how Nick gets mixed up with Acheron & the gang but YA so no :blush: at all!

No, I haven't read Infinity- I sort of got bored with Sherrilyn Kenyon and didn't keep up with the new books, but I did order one I had missed in the series a few days ago, and Infinity is under consideration for my next shopping session online.

Catwoman- you have an excellent group name there!

Whatcha trying to say Fi! :blink:

I am a sweet... Innocent... Lady.. Who is rather shy to 'smut' :angel_not:.

*Runs out of the house to go get the book!* :out:

I is saying nothing :ph34r: :angel_not:

Charm, I liked the Larissa Ione enough to order books 2, 3 & 4 and to preorder book 5 :giggle: Hmm, the last 2 Anita Blake books were short compared to the rest - Flirt was tiny at 192 pages, Bullet slightly better at 384 pages. The Merry Gentry books are supes, mainly faeries, half-breeds, hounds of hell etc. etc. but honestly I enjoyed the first couple better than Anita! Don't tell anyone though ;)

Well, all you lovely ladies have convinced me to take Hamilton's 'Guilty Pleasures' with me on my vacation! I need some um, 'fluffy' adult reading materials, Then I'm sure I'll be on the hunt for more of them when I get home!

Sorry to disappoint, while still great, the first in the series doesn't contain much 'fluff'. Mind you once you go through a couple of books (can't remember exactly which one) you need to be very open minded!! :lol:

I am really embarrassed Charm I thought I saw the name 'J.R. Ward) in one of your posts and now I can't find it! I wanted to say I have the first book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series ~ 'Dark Lover', I have heard great things about them. Have you read most of the series?

Weave!! :thud: Only one of my favourite series of this year!! (I saw that on your TBR pile FB photo btw, nice one :friends3:)

Sweet...Innocent..Ladies'

*chokecoughsplutter*!! Again Catwoman!

Sweet? .. Innocent? ... LADIES?? :huh:

Oh well ... 2 out of 3 for me aint bad! :giggle:

Catwoman- you have an excellent group name there!

Agreed!! :D

Charm, I liked the Larissa Ione enough to order books 2, 3 & 4 and to preorder book 5 :giggle: Hmm, the last 2 Anita Blake books were short compared to the rest - Flirt was tiny at 192 pages, Bullet slightly better at 384 pages. The Merry Gentry books are supes, mainly faeries, half-breeds, hounds of hell etc. etc. but honestly I enjoyed the first couple better than Anita! Don't tell anyone though

I thought you might like the Larrisa Ione ones :giggle: , I have book 4 which I will be reading next, book 3 has been my favourite so far! ... oh and I will definitely be checking out those Merry Gentry books next time I'm ordering, thanks!

Whoop Whoop! Oooo yeah!

Sorry charm for going off topic!

Anytime hun ... now pass me a glass!! :alc:

*chokecoughsplutter*!! Again Catwoman!

Sweet? .. Innocent? ... LADIES?? :huh:

Oh well ... 2 out of 3 for me aint bad! :giggle:

Anytime hun ... now pass me a glass!! :alc:

2 out of 3..... CHARM YOUR A MAN???!!!!!! :o hhaha.

I have some cherryade.. Will that do??? I am off to bed in a mo so you can have the rest!

2 out of 3..... CHARM YOUR A MAN???!!!!!! :o hhaha.

I have some cherryade.. Will that do??? I am off to bed in a mo so you can have the rest!

Hmmm .. now that I look back on that post, putting 'ladies' in capitals wasn't such a good idea huh? :doh:

Trust you to spot that!! :razz:

Thanks Charm, I am reading 'Dark Lover' next, my friend got it,she loves the series too, she was like 'you have to read this Paula' :lol:

Thanks Charm, I am reading 'Dark Lover' next, my friend got it,she loves the series too, she was like 'you have to read this Paula' :lol:

Excellent!! I hope you like it :D Can't wait to see what you think.

Excellent!! I hope you like it :D Can't wait to see what you think.

You will be the first to know hen :)

Dead in the Family ~by~ Charlaine Harris

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

If you think your family relationships are complicated, think again: you haven't seen anything like the ones in Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being, who arrives with Eric's 'brother' in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbour (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton. In addition to the multitude of family issues complicating her life, the werewolf pack of Shreveport has asked Sookie for a special favour, and since Sookie is an obliging young woman, she agrees. But this favour for the wolves has dire results for Sookie, who is still recovering from the trauma of her abduction during the Fairy War...

I was so looking forward to reading this as I have loved the series so far, but unfortunately I have to say, I was rather disappointed. I kept waiting for something to happen, even the ending was rather an anti-climax, but compared to the rest of the series the whole book just seemed tame. I do feel a bit let down but I'm hoping it's just a glitch in the series and will still probably get the next one.

5/10

I was so looking forward to reading this as I have loved the series so far, but unfortunately I have to say, I was rather disappointed. I kept waiting for something to happen, even the ending was rather an anti-climax, but compared to the rest of the series the whole book just seemed tame. I do feel a bit let down but I'm hoping it's just a glitch in the series and will still probably get the next one.

5/10

I felt like that too, shame really as we were all so looking forward to it!

Hi Charm! I was at a bookstore this week and noticed the book Dark Lover but when I took a closer look at it, it was by someone else than that Ward woman, and it was not vampire stuff at all. It was, however, a raunchy novel so I figured it must be pretty much the same :lol: Didn't buy it though! 

I felt like that too, shame really as we were all so looking forward to it!

It is a shame, it really was a bit of a let down. :( Oh well, hopefully the next one will be better :shrug:

Hi Charm! I was at a bookstore this week and noticed the book Dark Lover but when I took a closer look at it, it was by someone else than that Ward woman, and it was not vampire stuff at all. It was, however, a raunchy novel so I figured it must be pretty much the same :lol: Didn't buy it though!

Oh no, I don't blame ya, I wouldn't have bought it either if it wasn't by J R Ward! :lol:

Sorry to hijack your thread Charm but I am in the middle of 'Dead in the Family' and its very slow :)

Now don't be a silly billy, you can pop in and hijack my thread anytime, you're always welcome! friends3.gif I found Dead in the Family a bit slow too, as I'm sure you guessed. It took me ages to read it ... well compared to any other Sookie book ... I just wasn't as dying to get back to it as I normally would with this series. :rolleyes: Hope you end up enjoying it hun :hug:

You've probably already seen this but Lover Unleashed is available for pre-order on Amazon :D It's due out March 29th and I'm wondering if she's got her first UK trade paperback release as they want £12.99 for it!!!

You've probably already seen this but Lover Unleashed is available for pre-order on Amazon :D It's due out March 29th and I'm wondering if she's got her first UK trade paperback release as they want £12.99 for it!!!

I did see it! Well, I saw on a facebook update that it is available to pre-order on Amazon but 29th March? That's ages away!! :hissyfit: ...and my goodness £12.99? Does that mean it's hardback? I don't know what you mean by UK trade huh.gif I hope it isn't hardback, all the rest of my books are paperback irked.gif

Oh I meant to ask you, have you read Crave yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I placed an order online the other day and, although I really want to read Waking The Witch by Kelley Armstrong and Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay, I decided to just get the next four in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K HAmilton and get them next time when there's only a couple of Anita Blake ones left to read. So, in the post today, there came:

Incubus Dreams

Micah & Strange Candy

Danse Macabre

The Harlequin

I'm gonna start Incubus Dreams later this evening, it's a real door stop, over 800 pages! This could take a while ...... :huh:

Copycat ~by~ Erica Spindler

Five years ago, three little girls were murdered in their beds, posed like sleeping angels by a twisted killer. With no witnesses and no clues, Detective Kitt Lundgren was forced to look on helplessly - taunted by a psychopath proud of his 'perfect crimes'. Now, the Sleeping Angel Killer is back. Traumatised by the original murders and viewed by colleagues as a washed-up has-been, Lundgren is over-looked for the case. But only she notices that there's something different about this new rash of killings - a tiny variation that opens terrifying new possibilities...

This is the third book by Erica Spindler I've read and so far I haven't been disappointed by any of them. It's a fast moving storyline with well rounded characters who I grew to like very quickly. There's enough twists and turns to keep those pages turning fast, with a great ending into the bargain. I'm so pleased she wrote a sequel! If you're after a good crime thrille to get your teeth into, this could be for you ;)

8/10

Breakneck ~by~ Erica Spindler

Mary Catherine 'MC' Riggio and Kitt Lundgren, detective partners at the Rockford Violent Crimes Bureau, have been through a lot together. Lately, though, things have begun to look up: MC is about to get married, while Kitt is slowly coming to terms with the loss of her daughter. Suddenly, the fragile peace of their world is shattered when a brutal murder strikes close to home for MC. Nothing will be the same again. A killer is on the loose, someone who quickly and systematically works his way down a seemingly unconnected list of victims. With the body count rising, MC realises that she has to keep her head in the game and use her grief to fuel the hunt, but as the madman draws ever closer, Kitt and MC begin to struggle to walk that fine line between protecting the law - and taking it into their own hands ...

I'm so pleased I had this on my shelf as, after I'd finished Copycat, I just wanted to go straight on to it! This one concentrated more on the character of MC and we get to know her a lot better throughout the book. It contained a list of emotions for me, especially at the beginning when I just wanted to sob my heart out! Again the author delivers a terrific storyline, which starts off quickly, building to a dramatic ending. I did however guess the 'bad guy' pretty early on, but this did nothing to destroy my enjoyment of the read and besides, I did question my thought once or twice!

Another fantastic read by Erica Spindler who is fast becomming one of my favourite authors.

8/10