Charm's Choices ~ 2010

Charm

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your reviews of the Raven Hart books Charm. I've had the first three sitting on my TBR pile for such a long time. I might just have to bump them up! :lol:

Thanks Kylie! :D They are great little books, quite witty in parts too, I hope you like them. :lol:

:lol: Ok, you've convinced me - the Raven Hart books are now on my wishlist, and will be reserved at the library next time I'm there. :D

:lol: You're not hard to convince! :lol:

Seriously though, I do think you'll enjoy them too and so far it's a short series, only 5! :(

thank you Weave! :lol: My mojo has done a runner atm so I'm reading nowt! :lol: I have ordered more installments of all the series I'm reading, so I'm hoping it comes running back :D

Good times! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Charm, just stopping by to say hello. How many vamp/supe series are you reading? Can't give off to you though...I don't know how many I am reading at the minute. Just finished the Stackhouse series and still going through The House of the Night series, The Morganville Vampire series and the newly added Women of the Otherworld and now Betsy! :smile2: But I love them all...it is a great way to escape and they are good reads after a gripping thriller. I have just finished Kiss The Girls by James Patterson and was going to read the next in that series but thought I would need to read a light hearted book before I do as the books are so intense. I picked Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson which is great to bring me down after the intense reading of Kiss The Girls. ;)

Thanks for popping in Shin! :D How've you been? Haven't seen you around in a while, hope you're well :D

I'm now down to 3 vampire series, including the Betsy books and one demon series :D.. oh and I want to get the latest Sookie book, so that will be in my next order :lol: Unfortunately these type of books are what my mojo wants atm, and what mojo wants, mojo gets, otherwise it clears off! :D I'm sure I'll get fed up and want to go back to thrillers at some point, of which I have loads, but until then I'll just keep the supe books coming! :D

• 1 month later...

Wow! It's been a long time since I added to this, over a month! :o I really should make the effort to update it, especially since we have a nice shiney new forum! :D

Edited by Charm

Right. It's been ages since I updated Charm's Choices so here goes. In all fairness, I have kinda been sticking to the same 3 series' and I'd much rather talk about each series as one, rather than each individual book ;)

Lover Mine ~by~ J R Ward

This one is the very latest released in this series. Another installment where we find out more about an individual brother, this time John Matthew. It contains the usual mix of love, lust and sex as well as the ever occuring war with the lessers. This series is one of my guilty pleasures, good stuff!

Desire Unchained ~by~ Larissa Ione

Passion Unleashed ~by Larissa Ione

This series is very like the J R Ward series in that each book is about a different brother with similar struggles with the difference being that the brothers are demons. Fun, quick reads for me, nothing to taxing but entertaining none the less.

The Vampire's Betrayal ~by~ Raven Hart

The Vampire's Revenge ~by~ Raven Hart

I really enjoyed this supernatural series. It was well written and I liked the writing style where the narration came from the two principle characters. Good well rounded characters and entertaining storylines. Definitely recommend!

The Lunatic Cafe ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Bloody Bones ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

The Killing Dance ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Burnt Offerings ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Blue Moon ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Obsidian Butterfly ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Narcissus in Chains ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Cerulean Sins ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

These books are from the Anita Blake series. It took me a while to get used to Anita Blake, but then I did get rather hooked. Lately though the series has progressed into a somewhat more sexual series, to be honest Ms Blake is becomming a bit of a tramp! :lol: I have been enjoying them though, if you see them as just a bit of fun then they can be rather entertaining. Be warned though they do get rather big books, around 650 pages on average, and the author does tend to get wrapped up in her character descriptions.

Hey Charm, how are you?

The last couple of Anita books have slimmed down in size, I've got the both in HB and they're tiny!!! She's still trampy though, if the books weren't so easy on the brain & mojo I might have stopped reading them by now :rolleyes: Are you going to or have you tried the Merry Gentry series by LKH yet?

I've now got the first Raven Hart book after you talked about it but it's about halfway down my TBR mountain just now, same with the first Larissa Ione book. I'm thinking your mojo & my mojo are conspiring as I only seem to be able to read fluff just now :lol:

Hey well as you know I am a big J r ward fan, meant to ask have you tried any Kresley Cole?

I don't know anyone who actually admits to reading Kresley Cole apart from me :blush: Have you read them all pickle?

Edited by Fi

The Resurrectionists by James Bradley - I've semi abandoned this ... well ... let's just say it has been put in my bedside table for nighttime reading as it's pretty boring to be honest and helps me get to sleep :)

The Vampire's Seduction by Raven Hart - I've been trying to get my hands on this for ages and I'm glad I did. Really enjoyable with interesting and likeable characters. I will definately be getting the next in the series. 8/10

Fantasy Lover - Sherrilyn Kenyon - This is the first in a huge series of books. It wasn't bad, it kept my mojo here and I will probably by the next in the series to see how it goes, again nothing too taxing. 7/10

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter) by Laurell K Hamilton - I really enjoyed this. I think the character of Anita will need a bit of getting used to but an entertaining read where vampires are mainstream and zombies are raised on a regular basis (these zombies I can handle ... just about :D). 9/10

Worrying to hear about your thoughts on the THE Ressurrectionists. I still have yet to read this on my TBR pile, and it seems to be getting lower and lover down the more bad reviews I hear about it!! :irked:

As for Fantasy lover, another book to add to the wishlist. I always know who to count on! Thanks charm.

If I'm right I recommended this to you last year charm and said that the only thing about it was that there were Zombies. I am glad you like the series. I have not read the second one yet, but I will do as soon as I have cut into my TBR pile.

I meant to tell you about another author you have to try - if you haven't already! Nalini Singh, I think she's from New zealand but I've just read the first two books from two series she's written. You absolutely have to try Angel's Blood which is the first in the Guild Hunter series (there's two books so far, the second is Archangel's Kiss) and if you like that try her Psy-Changeling series ;)

Thanks for that recommendation Fi, That sounds good and just joted it down on the wishlist.

Nightswallow ~by~ Bronwyn Winter Phoenix

Blurb:

"Night Swallow is dead. A former travel journalist, she lost herself in beautiful worlds far from the London apartment where she was murdered. Following a series of dark events on an isolated island, she must face her death as she is forced to learn the ways of the spirits around her. As things start to spiral out of control, she is sucked deeper into a world she no longer recognises to battle the unstoppable force she uncovered on her travels. With help from mesmerising spirits along the way � Magnus, a mysterious loner; Gabrielle, an extravagant former theatre actress and Leon, an unusual librarian with a penchant for seeing the dead - Night has to stop her killer from destroying all that she loved. But will her unfinished business lead her to the final answer?"

This is a great little read. I liked the main character and how we followed her as she coped with the after life. The story was fast paced and kept me interested with the thriller element to it, the ideas behind the afterlife were very believable too. The writing is easy to follow and the author manages to conjour up the atmosphere brilliantly. Well done Bronwen! 8/10

Pleasure Unbound ~by~ Larissa Ione

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstones:

Someone has been cutting up demons and removing their body parts, and this doesn't make sense to doctors Eidolon and Shade, the only surgeons in the world who care exclusively for demons. One patient after another has been arriving at the 'demon ER' with missing internal organs, and Eidolon vows to find who has been targeting his race and for what purpose. To make matters worse for Eidolon's demon-kind, he's just gone and treated a female demon-slayer who heats his blood as no other has. Tayla is a sexy, lustful, demon-slaying warrior who works for The Aegis, a council of humans who have vowed to rid the world of demons. Eidolon knows Tayla's deepest secret: that she is actually half demon herself. She is, in fact, the only being Eidolon has ever seen who has half-demon, half-human blood. And she's the only woman who has ever captivated him so. But is this woman, who is trained to eradicate Eidolon's species, the person responsible for the rash of demon mutilations that are turning his hospital upside down?

I really enjoyed this book, it reminded me of the J R Ward series I have recently read. It's the first in a series about demons, a quick, graphic and erotic story full of betrayal and action throughout. Note: Contains sexual scenes. 8/10

Yet another two I have just put on the wishlist. That Pleasure unbound sounds right up my street. Because of the sexual nature I am taking it is not a YA book.

Thanks for awesome recommendations!

Yet another two I have just put on the wishlist. That Pleasure unbound sounds right up my street. Because of the sexual nature I am taking it is not a YA book.

Pleasure Unbound is in no way, shape or form anything like a YA novel! I read it last night as it's been sat on Mount TBR for months and no, definitely not YA :giggle:

I don't know anyone who actually admits to reading Kresley Cole apart from me :blush: Have you read them all pickle?

I admit it! Granted it was some time ago, and the newer books I haven't read (yet) but I tend to re-read "Dark needs at night's edge" every now and then (like last week..). I also confess to reading Sherrilyn Kenyon, but I don't enjoy all her books.

.. so this means I'd enjoy Raven Hart, apparently. (adding to wishlist).

Happy reading Charm!

I admit it! Granted it was some time ago, and the newer books I haven't read (yet) but I tend to re-read "Dark needs at night's edge" every now and then (like last week..). I also confess to reading Sherrilyn Kenyon, but I don't enjoy all her books.

Happy reading Charm!

Ha ha we are all coming out of the closet.

Also adding Raven Heart to my list

Oooo er Missus!!! :giggle:

You think it is my sort of thing Fi?

Totally, if you like a bit of smut now & then :blush::giggle:

Oooh, another Kresley fan! Almost enough for a fan club :giggle: Last one I read was Pleasure Of A Dark Prince and I'm almost certain there's another one due out soonish :) Have you read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Infinity? It's how Nick gets mixed up with Acheron & the gang but YA so no :blush: at all!

Only on here, think my friends IRL would disown me if I owned up to reading Kresley Cole!

Edited by Fi

Hey Charm, how are you?

The last couple of Anita books have slimmed down in size, I've got the both in HB and they're tiny!!! She's still trampy though, if the books weren't so easy on the brain & mojo I might have stopped reading them by now Are you going to or have you tried the Merry Gentry series by LKH yet?

I've now got the first Raven Hart book after you talked about it but it's about halfway down my TBR mountain just now, same with the first Larissa Ione book. I'm thinking your mojo & my mojo are conspiring as I only seem to be able to read fluff just now

Hiya Fi, I'm good thanks, hoping your good self is well too? :)

Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the Anita books slim down, I quite enjoyed almost 700 pages of easy *cough* reading! ;) My mojo is definitely requiring some fluff lately, although I'm starting to feel the need to pick up a serial killer book, the new Dexter is out so I may get a copy of it soon. I've never noticed the Merry Gentry series before, is it a supe series too?

Hey well as you know I am a big J r ward fan, meant to ask have you tried any Kresley Cole?

Never heard of her ...

*toddles off to check her out* :ontome:

Worrying to hear about your thoughts on the THE Ressurrectionists. I still have yet to read this on my TBR pile, and it seems to be getting lower and lover down the more bad reviews I hear about it!!

As for Fantasy lover, another book to add to the wishlist. I always know who to count on! Thanks charm.

If I'm right I recommended this to you last year charm and said that the only thing about it was that there were Zombies. I am glad you like the series. I have not read the second one yet, but I will do as soon as I have cut into my TBR pile.

Yeah, The Resurrectionist has been sitting on my bedside table waiting for me to pick it up since I wrote that post, it just puts me to sleep! Drags a bit I'm afraid.

Both Fantasy Lover and Pleasure Unbound are definitely not for young adults, I'm not sure I should be recommending them to older adults! :lol:

I am indeed liking the Anita Blake books and thanks for recommending them! I didn't realise there must be about 18 books in the series, so far I've bought 9, costing me a bloody fortune but they do look good on the bookshelf!

Pleasure Unbound is in no way, shape or form anything like a YA novel! I read it last night as it's been sat on Mount TBR for months and no, definitely not YA

Well??? What did you think of it?? :exc:

Happy reading Charm!

Thanks Sara! :D

Another recommendation for Kresley Cole eh? I definitely have to check this out.

Never thought I'd see the day I came out of the closet! :giggle:

Glad to see so much interest in Raven Hart! Not quite as explicit as the others but still really good.

Whatcha trying to say Fi!

I am a sweet... Innocent... Lady.. Who is rather shy to 'smut' .

*Runs out of the house to go get the book!*

*coughchokesplutter*!! :haha:

Well, all you lovely ladies have convinced me to take Hamilton's 'Guilty Pleasures' with me on my vacation! I need some um, 'fluffy' adult reading materials, :lol: Then I'm sure I'll be on the hunt for more of them when I get home!