Book Fiend's 2010 Book List

Book Fiend

Book Fiend, don't worry about missing my post :) I'm still definitely interested in the novel and will have to read it at some point. All the psychiatric talk sounds only interesting to me, so there's no problem there.

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed Gentlemen & Players so much, it was definitely a very gripping read! I just can't believe someone would be so stupid as to spoil the whole plot on amazon, I'd be really ticked off!!! :irked:

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed Gentlemen & Players so much, it was definitely a very gripping read! I just can't believe someone would be so stupid as to spoil the whole plot on amazon, I'd be really ticked off!!! :irked:

I was really ticked off, but it's a credit to Joanne Harris that despite my little tip off, I still wasn't 100% sure until near the end!

And there was still the little twist of the fact that she pushed Leon, I didn't work that out!

I will definately be reading more of her books, I was very impressed. I have Chocolat on my TBR pile, which I have heard is very different but still very good.

You should definately give The Dice Man a try, it raises some very interesting points about how people behave and conform to certain ideas. It did make me think about giving it a go, just role the dice and see what it says!! (obviously my options wouldn't be as extreme as his!)

• 1 month later...

I'm very bad at updating my list! I've finished two books since I last did it, Life of Pi and The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb.

First - Life of Pi. I read this for my book group, although it was something I'd been meaning to read for ages. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It was funny and scary and shocking and the most original book I have ever read. It definately gets a place on my list of favourite books!

Then I finished The Golden Fool. This is the 2nd book in the Tawny Man trilogy, so it was a bit lacking in action. It felt very much like it was all middle, without a proper beginning and end, but I think this is just because the author is getting everything in place for the final book, which is sitting patiently on my TBR pile, and which I expect to be absolutely amazing!!! (I so hope I'm not disappointed!)

I've just started reading Lord of the Flies now, and to be honest I am struggling a bit! I just find the writing so difficult. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a classic (and a very thin classic!) I would probably give up, but I'm going to try my hardest to finish it. I am intruiged by the idea, I just wish it was written differently!

Do you think that Life of Pi is 'true' or a tale considering the ending?

We had a big discussion about this in my book group!

I think it is a tale, I think the story with his mother is what really happened. I was so shocked, I would never have guessed the ending in a million years!