Total Read 2010: 25.

January.

1. Snakehead. - Anthony Horowitz.

2. Crocodile Tears. - Anthony Horowitz.

3. Breakneck. - Erica Spindler.

February.

4. Dead until Dark. - Charlaine Harris.

April.

5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. - Stieg Larsson.

6. The Kite Runner. - Khaled Hosseini.

7. The Reader. - Bernhard Schlink.

8. Living Dead In Dallas. - Charlaine Harris.

9. Club Dead. - Charlaine Harris.

July.

10. The Girl Who Played With Fire. - Steig Larsson.

August.

11. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. - Steig Larsson.

12. Frankenstein. - Mary Shelly.

13. The Picture of Dorian Gray. - Oscar Wilde.

14. Good Omens. - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman.

15. Heroes Of the Valley. - Jonathan Stroud.

September.

16. The Lost Symbol. - Dan Brown.

October.

17. Macbeth. - William Shakespeare.

18. The First Casualty. - Ben Elton.

19. Eragon. - Christopher Paolini.

November.

20. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

21. Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows. - J. K Rowling.

22. The Bloody Chamber. - Angela Carter.

December.

23. American Gods. - Neil Gaiman.

24. The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. - Mark Haddon.

25. Lord Sunday. - Garth Nix.

Roll on 2011.

Edited by Ben

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Snakehead. - Anthony Horowitz.

My first book of the year is to be a re-read in preparation for reading Anthony Horowitz's latest release, Crocodile Tears.

Synopsis.

No sooner has Alex splashed down off the coast of Australia than he finds himself sucked into another adventure. This time he's working for the ASIS - the Australian Secret Service - and his target is the criminal underworld of South-East Asia: the ruthless world of the Snakehead.

But this time Alex isn't working alone. He's teamed up with Ash, once his father's best friend and now a secret agent with the key to unlock Alex's past. But the odds are stacked against them. An old enemy has returned with a plan that will destabilize half the world. Caught between two secret services, with no one he can trust, Alex will need all his wits to survive.

Started: 02/01/10.

Finished: 02/01/10.

Review.

Edited by Ben

Just finished Snakehead not so long ago and although it is probably too late to write a coherent review I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the reread and I am now ready to move onto the next book in the series Crocodile Tears which I shall start as soon as possible.

An excellent Alex Rider novel, where he needs all his wits to survive..

Edited by Ben

2) Crocodile Tears. - Anthony Horowitz.

My second book of the year is a follow up to the first, Snakehead and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this new Alex Rider novel, the latest in the series.

Synopsis.

New Years Eve in Scotland and for once Alex Rider is enjoying a normal life. But then he meets Desmond McCain, the dynamic chief of an international charity, First Aid, and what starts as a simple card game rapidly becomes a duel to the death. Suddenly Alex is in more danger than ever before and his life is threatened without his even knowing why.

Things get worse when he is confronted by a journalist who threatens to publish the truth about his life as a teenage spy. Forced to ask MI6 for protection, Alex finds himself being manipulated in a deadly game that could lead to the destruction of an entire East African country.

Alone, out-numbered and with no way of escape, this is Alex's most action-packed adventure yet.

Started: 03/01/10.

Finished: 04/01/10.

Starting this later today once I have finished some work. Anyone read it before, what did you think?

Edited by Ben

Well after a nice relaxing bath and some necessary reading time, I'm finding myself settling into this new Alex Rider novel quite quickly - rather like the others. As action-packed as usual, after about 100 pages and a very interesting game of poker, I'm looking to see how Crocodile Tears progresses.. :)

That's a pretty impressive TBR pile Ben! I hope you enjoy getting through it, some good reads there :)

Why thank you Charm, it is pretty impressive but if I stick to a good rate this year - like I promised myself I would - hopefully I'll be making dents in it soon.

Glad you are enjoying your books Ben :lol: Hope your reads continue to be great!

Thanks Lexi, I'm sure they will.. a new year and with it some new reads aye! :)

Edited by Ben

Well today I've taken a decent chunk of about 250+ pages out of Crocodile Tears and it is really good going so far. Really enjoying the latest instalment of the Alex Rider series and it seems like the characters are starting to come together now. Things are getting more interesting..

Okay just finished Crocodile Tears not ten minutes ago, and have to say I was very impressed. I might even go as far as to saying this was one of my favourite Alex Rider novel's yet!

A great novel which has you hanging off the edge of your seat!

Who else has read this series? Which one was your favourite? :roll:

Review coming shortly..

Just a note on the impending reviews. I'll get around to them as soon as I can, most probably will be more up to date after my exams.

Edited by Ben

3) Someone Like You. - Roald Dahl.

Okay my third book of the year is going to be a collection of 15 short stories by the one and only Roald Dahl. Looks interesting, got them bought with six other Roald Dahl books at Christmas and I'm looking forward to these..

Synopsis.

Try a refreshing 'Dip in the Pool' and savour the delights of 'Skin', follow 'Galloping Foxley' and sample a little 'Poison'. This collection, one of Roald Dahl's earliest, is guaranteed to appeal to Someone Like You.

In the opening story, 'Taste', the stakes of a dinner-party bet reach distasteful levels and a wife serves up new dish in 'Lamb to the Slaughter', which goes down well with the boys in blue. Layers of deceit are stripped away in 'Nunc Dimittis', but what is revealed is far from honest. Meanwhile the 'Man from the South' questions whether you really do need the little finger on your left hand..?

Vendettas and desperate quests, bitter memories and sordid fantasies thwarted - here are fifteen reasons why Roald Dahl is the master of the short story.

Started: 05/01/10

Finished:

Hello Ben, looks like you've got a lot of books to get through :roll: Happy reading! By the way, I'm a little confused because it seems like you have two different reading lists for 2010? What's the difference between them, do they serve different purposes?

Edit: Oh never mind, I just realised what the difference is :D Sorry Ben!

Oh my gosh this is going to be incredibly confusing. The person with the username 'Benji' has his own, and I have mine which is this one. My username is 'Ben' not 'Benji', although that's what I usually name my thread titles/get people to call me.. thanks for the good wishes in my reading, though.

Edit. - No problem! It does look a bit confusing, I wonder if we can sort something out. Thanks for the good luck on the 2010 reading, same too you! :roll:

Edited by Ben

Edit: Oh never mind, I just realised what the difference is :roll: Sorry Ben!

Oh my gosh this is going to be incredibly confusing. The person with the username 'Benji' has his own, and I have mine which is this one. My username is 'Ben' not 'Benji', although that's what I usually name my thread titles/get people to call me..

I got a bit confused myself (not an odd thing in my case), I automatically clicked on the other one and thought 'hmm this is strange, my head must really be going!' :D

That's slightly irritating that I have to change mine and not the newest member of the forum, but of course that makes more sense.

I got a bit confused myself (not an odd thing in my case), I automatically clicked on the other one and thought 'hmm this is strange, my head must really be going!' :roll:

Haha it confused me myself and I knew I hadn't made another thread. :D

That's slightly irritating that I have to change mine and not the newest member of the forum, but of course that makes more sense.

Perhaps we could change this one to Ben's reading? I never think of you as Benji since your username is Ben, so that might be less confusing? :D

I would tend to agree with Janet, I never think of you as Benji either, only Ben, especially with seeing your name pop up all the time on FB too. :roll:

I've gone ahead and changed it to "Ben's Books 2010" to save confusion. As the other person's user name is Benji and yours is Ben, it made more sense to change yours to match your user name than asking the new member to change their user name (which takes more time).

I've gone ahead and changed it to "Ben's Books 2010" to save confusion. As the other person's user name is Benji and yours is Ben, it made more sense to change yours to match your user name than asking the new member to change their user name (which takes more time).

Thanks Kell, it makes sense, of course it does, I just sounded a bit short in my response. Sorry for that guys! I'm just thinking would it be better to change it to 'Ben's Reading 2010.' Then it doesn't share the other similarity with the other one.

Thanks, Ben. :D

Not a problem. :roll: