Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Ben. I'm not that great either. I'll be doing a lot of research on Wikipedia, I think!

Ah good old Wikipedia, why does it not surprise me that it is now the fifth most visited website in the world and they have just managed to successfully raise $7.5mil in 8 weeks. People rely on that site a helluva lot. :D

That's one of the things I'm enjoying about it - each time I 'do' a country, I look it up and read all about it! :D

And it's definitely not cheating to backdate... because I've decided it isn't! :D

ETA: Can I ask what county(ies) on the side of South America is that you've completed? I've looked at your map but can't decide and our huge world map decided to fall off the wall last week and we haven't put it back up yet!

Edited by Janet

Janet has inspired me to take up the World Challenge; reading a book from every country in the world. Like my 1001 Challenges, I don't expect to ever really complete this, but I'd like to see where it takes me and how far I can get. :D

I'm going to backdate this challenge a bit and add authors that I've read over the last few years (Janet assures me that this isn't cheating :D). I'll be updating this post as I go along. I've added the map (a big drawcard for doing this challenge! :roll:) with a few random countries that I know I've already completed, but I'll go over my reading lists in the next few days and update it properly.

Oh, and there's no time limit to this. I'll wrap it up whenever I get bored with it. :jump:

That's awesome! Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing your progress as you travel around the world :roll:

Me again! :D

Because I'm sad I've made a spreadsheet based on the list of all countries that I linked earlier, with the bit where you can mark off which ones you've read and it works out a percentage for you!

I'd be happy to upload it for you if you'd like a copy, but I won't be offended if you don't. :jump:

It's just that as well as liking lists, I like spreadsheets that work out percentages! :D

Ah good old Wikipedia, why does it not surprise me that it is now the fifth most visited website in the world and they have just managed to successfully raise $7.5mil in 8 weeks. People rely on that site a helluva lot. :blush:

I wonder if I set up a website and asked for money if I could raise that much? :lol: Probably not.

And it's definitely not cheating to backdate... because I've decided it isn't! :P

Well, you are the authority on this challenge, so I have to go along with whatever you say. I can't help it if it works out to my advantage. ;)

ETA: Can I ask what county(ies) on the side of South America is that you've completed? I've looked at your map but can't decide and our huge world map decided to fall off the wall last week and we haven't put it back up yet!

That would be Brazil. I was surprised when I saw how much room it had taken up on the map; I hadn't realised Brazil was such a big country. See? I'm already learning things. :lol:

That's awesome! Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing your progress as you travel around the world

Thanks CaliLily! :lol:

Because I'm sad I've made a spreadsheet based on the list of all countries that I linked earlier, with the bit where you can mark off which ones you've read and it works out a percentage for you!

I'd be happy to upload it for you if you'd like a copy, but I won't be offended if you don't. :P

It's just that as well as liking lists, I like spreadsheets that work out percentages! :lol:

That's not sad at all! And I would be thrilled if you would be so kind as to upload the spreadsheet. Thank you so much for offering. :blush:

I have to say that if it wasn't for the 1001 one done by Arukyomi I'd have struggled with the formulae more than I did!

I've also copied Arukyomi's formulas for both my 1001 Children's Challenge and my Rory Challenge. :lol: Just like you, I like working out percentages (actually I love all types of statistics).

Oh Janet, I believe that Kylie would fly over to get that! ;)

Chrissy is absolutely right (she knows me too well :lol:).

I finished reading the first Sookie Stackhouse, Dead Until Dark, yesterday. There's probably not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I really enjoyed it and will definitely continue on with the rest of the series. :lol:

The vampires were darker than I imagined, maybe because I'm used to seeing everyone here swooning over them so I figured they were nice, but really they're a little scary!

I quite like Sam and am looking forward to seeing more of him in future books, and Sookie is pretty cool too. And I'd really love to see True Blood one day but it airs here on pay TV. I might try to hire it out on DVD. Does the first season follow along with the first book?

8/10

I've currently read two books this year and haven't bought any (although I have 4 on order) so for the moment my TBR pile has actually decreased! I guess that won't last long, so I'll enjoy it while I can. :)

Edited by Kylie

I finished reading the first Sookie Stackhouse, Dead Until Dark, yesterday. There's probably not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I really enjoyed it and will definitely continue on with the rest of the series. :lol:

The vampires were darker than I imagined, maybe because I'm used to seeing everyone here swooning over them so I figured they were nice, but really they're a little scary!

I quite like Sam and am looking forward to seeing more of him in future books, and Sookie is pretty cool too. And

I'd really love to see True Blood one day but it airs here on pay TV. I might try to hire it out on DVD. Does the first season follow along with the first book?

9/10

I've currently read two books this year and haven't bought any (although I have 4 on order) so for the moment my TBR pile has actually decreased! I guess that won't last long, so I'll enjoy it while I can. :)

First time for everything I guess Kylie.

I've seen the first two series of 'True Blood', although I do have Fox. The show is fantastic IMO, and improves on the books. You can dl them or just buy the series on DVD, well worth it IMO.

First time for everything I guess Kylie.

Hey! :)

I've seen the first two series of 'True Blood', although I do have Fox. The show is fantastic IMO, and improves on the books. You can dl them or just buy the series on DVD, well worth it IMO.

Excellent! I'll definitely have to check it out then.

Another one here inspired by Janet to do the 'Reading Round The World ' challenge. By a combination of wikipedia and google managed to bag 34 countries so far. Have some good reads coming up - including one for the Faroe Islands :lol:

I've been reading your posts and saw that you'd found some compilations of short stories from the more obscure countries. Good work! You'll blitz this challenge in no time. :D

I've currently read two books this year and haven't bought any (although I have 4 on order) so for the moment my TBR pile has actually decreased! I guess that won't last long, so I'll enjoy it while I can. :D[/color]

You should print that quote in large font and frame it on your library wall :)

So glad to hear you enjoyed the first Sookie Stackhouse novel! I love Sam too, he's such a sweetheart :lol:

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed Dead Until Dark. It is such a great series

Sam is my favorite guy in both the books and the TV series. :) The first season follows structure but they did change a few things and added a few characters. All in all it is a really good series, just don't go into it thinking it will be verbatim.

You should print that quote in large font and frame it on your library wall :lol:

I have 4 books on order at the moment so I should quickly try to read as many short novels as I can before they come and then my stats will look even better. :)

Or I should get one of those numbered signs where you can change the numbers over and keep track of my TBR pile that way. I can't remember what they're called but they use them at old cricket grounds and the like.

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed Dead Until Dark. It is such a great series

Sam is my favorite guy in both the books and the TV series. :D The first season follows structure but they did change a few things and added a few characters. All in all it is a really good series, just don't go into it thinking it will be verbatim.

I really can't wait to get stuck into the rest of the books. I really wasn't sure about reading them, but somehow they've sucked me in, and I can't put my finger on why. I was going to try to space them out, but I don't think that's going to happen. ;)

I'll try not to get my hopes up about the series. I try to go in to these things with low expectations so I won't be disappointed.

I have 4 books on order at the moment so I should quickly try to read as many short novels as I can before they come and then my stats will look even better. :lol:

You'd better hurry :D It's a great thing you keep a stack of short novels for emergencies like this :) And if nothing else works, just don't go to your PO box until you've read 4 books. (Yeah, like anyone could actually leave books in their post box to wait ;))

But I guess if you liked the first Sookie book that much you'll be flying through the 4 following ones! :haha:

Or I should get one of those numbered signs where you can change the numbers over and keep track of my TBR pile that way. I can't remember what they're called but they use them at old cricket grounds and the like.

I like that idea :blush: And the manual cricket kinds are better than those digital basketball ones, because the digital ones are just too fast. They'd start buzzing if they didn't get to change the digits fast enough.

Actually I have 7 more Sookie books to read so that works out even better! :lol:

That's a very sneaky idea - leaving them in my PO box. ;) I would be tempted, but like you said, it would be impossible to knowingly leave books there. The books I ordered at the beginning of the week won't arrive for weeks yet, but I'm already constantly thinking about them arriving in my PO box!

:) Maybe the digital one would work for me after all, at the rate I buy books!

I finished my re-read of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury yesterday. As always, I found it a very thought-provoking read. I won't say too much here because I've already posted most of my thoughts in the reading circle thread.

I think the movie's ending had overwritten the book's ending in my mind, because I had completely forgotten

about the war and the destruction of the city

. It's nice when a re-read can still surprise you. :lol:

9/10

I'm 70 or so pages into Ella Minnow Pea. It's picking up and more characters are being introduced so it's getting more interesting.

Today I bought The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, after reading many great recommendations here. With various vouchers, coupons and reward points, the book was free. :) I don't usually read books for a long time after I buy them (not because I don't want to, but because I feel guilty doing so when I have so many unread books that have been on my shelves for ages!), but I really think I might make an allowance for this and make it my next read. :lol:

Thanks Janet! As I've just rambled in the book activity thread, I aim to start this on the weekend, when I hope to devote a good chuck of time to it.

In the meantime, I have just finished Ella Minnow Pea (mini review to come shortly) and am moving on to The Road by Cormac McCarthy. This one is on my dystopian list, although I believe it's more post-apocalyptic in nature. Never mind. My list, my rules. :lol: