Kylie's Literary Adventures In 2010

Kylie

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*high-fives Frankie*

We're doing well, aren't we? :roll: Ooh, ooh, Lorelai and Digger are about to break up (yes, I'm still watching GG). :D

We're doing awesome :D It's been a great start for a new year! :D Hahaaa, break it off Lorelai, just do it, do it fast and real good! Bye bye Digger, won't be missing you :lol:

Yayyyy! :roll: Be sure to let us know how you like it!

:D Of course I will girls. Couldn't see all this hype all the time without finding out what I'm missing on.

Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides

Aah! Thanks for reminding me about this one! Its been in the back of my mind for a long time but I just haven't managed to put it on the list!

You have some really great books, Kylie. I'm anxious to hear how you like the Stephanie Plum series (one of my favorite chick lit reads :roll: ) and Tuesdays With Morrie (one of my favorite books of all time). :D

I set up a list of the 1001 Children's Books in a spreadsheet along the same lines of Arukiyomi's spreadsheet, and my Rory Book List is also set up the same.

I managed to set up one for the Children's books too! :roll: What is the Rory Book List?

Hmm, I'm thinking this is probably the best kind of place to ask something that I was just thinking about, considering Kylie's the expert on lists. :roll: I already know that I read quite a lot, but have never bothered to try any challenges or lists of any sorts. What I was really wondering is what lists/challenges would be the best for me to try? I don't mind if it's an on-going or a yearly one, it doesn't make much difference. Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Eugenides: The Virgin Suicides

Aah! Thanks for reminding me about this one! Its been in the back of my mind for a long time but I just haven't managed to put it on the list!

You have some really great books, Kylie. I'm anxious to hear how you like the Stephanie Plum series (one of my favorite chick lit reads :lol: ) and Tuesdays With Morrie (one of my favorite books of all time). :lol:

I hope to get to The Virgin Suicides sooner rather than later, as I really enjoyed Middlesex last year and I've seen and enjoyed the movie.

The Stephanie Plum books are really the only chick-lit books I have read and I really enjoy them. I read the first 4 last year and have several more to go. I just buy them when I see them cheap and they're great for quick, light reads. I love that Stephanie is always botching things up, and she's not really tough or brave, just like I would be in her situation!

Tuesdays with Morrie had never really appealed to me much, but so many people here seem to love it, and I found it cheap, so I thought why not? :roll: Is it going to make me cry?

I hope to get to The Virgin Suicides sooner rather than later, as I really enjoyed Middlesex last year and I've seen and enjoyed the movie.

The Stephanie Plum books are really the only chick-lit books I have read and I really enjoy them. I read the first 4 last year and have several more to go. I just buy them when I see them cheap and they're great for quick, light reads. I love that Stephanie is always botching things up, and she's not really tough or brave, just like I would be in her situation!

Tuesdays with Morrie had never really appealed to me much, but so many people here seem to love it, and I found it cheap, so I thought why not? :roll: Is it going to make me cry?

You will need an entire, well, maybe two boxes of kleenex for when you sit down with Morrie. That book is such a close one to my heart, I really hope you like it!

Stephanie Plum is one of my favorite characters ever written. I particularly like it when Lula is in the middle of things botching it up with Steph! I own books 1-14 and all of the In Between the Numbers books. If there were only a Morelli out there for me... le sigh...

The Divine Comedy is by far the most difficult book I have ever read. It is a bit brain fogging but the story is a great one and well worth a read. I hope you go for it!

I managed to set up one for the Children's books too! :lol: What is the Rory Book List?

The Rory Book List is a list of books that have been mentioned on the Gilmore Girls TV show. One of the main characters, Rory, is a huge lover of books, and she is often seen reading. Eagle-eyed viewers have made up lists of the books she has read or books that have been mentioned throughout the show (pop culture references abound). There are various lists floating around so it's hard to know exactly which is the correct one, but they are mostly the same.

Rory has very good taste in literature, and she reads a lot of classics as well as modern literature. Her reading tastes are quite varied, just like yours Janet. I think you might get a lot out of the Rory Book List if you felt like adding another challenge to your list. :lol:

OK, here's a copy of Rory's Book List I have (don't look too closely at it, Frankie, because this is different to Shonali's list; I have no idea where I got this one, but I think it might be from Goodreads :roll:):

Modern:

Hmm, I'm thinking this is probably the best kind of place to ask something that I was just thinking about, considering Kylie's the expert on lists. :roll: I already know that I read quite a lot, but have never bothered to try any challenges or lists of any sorts. What I was really wondering is what lists/challenges would be the best for me to try? I don't mind if it's an on-going or a yearly one, it doesn't make much difference. Thanks in advance!

Wow, where do I start? There are challenges for just about anything you can imagine!

I've participated in a 'Reading through the Decades' challenge (which I think Janet is doing again this year) where you read one book from every decade from the 1900s (or earlier, if you like) up to the 2000s. It's great because it includes a good cross-section of literature; classics and non-classics.

Some people here are also undertaking the mammoth task of reading a book from every country. That's obviously a huge challenge but would be great because you'd be learning about so many different ways of life.

Of course, you could also just set a challenge to read a certain amount of books during the year, which might be good for you because I know you sometimes go through periods where you don't read as much, and this might inspire you to keep going.

There are 'chunky' challenges - books of more than 500 pages and 'gothic' challenges, and...I don't know, I could keep going all day!

Is there anything in particular you would like to achieve this year? Or maybe there is a genre that you have been neglecting or have never tried and you make a challenge to get you going.

Hmm, I'll keep thinking!

Thanks for the ideas, I know it was a very vague question, so my apologies. I'm not sure really, I'm thinking more a long the lines of one of those 'blah blah books before you die,' or something.. I am aiming for 100 books this year, so I already have that one sorted. Chunky might be a good idea, I usually read books around that amount. :lol: Thanks for suggestions. :roll:

You will need an entire, well, maybe two boxes of kleenex for when you sit down with Morrie. That book is such a close one to my heart, I really hope you like it!

Stephanie Plum is one of my favorite characters ever written. I particularly like it when Lula is in the middle of things botching it up with Steph! I own books 1-14 and all of the In Between the Numbers books. If there were only a Morelli out there for me... le sigh...

The Divine Comedy is by far the most difficult book I have ever read. It is a bit brain fogging but the story is a great one and well worth a read. I hope you go for it!

I agree. Lula is very funny - she's a great comedic character and works well alongside Stephanie. :roll:

I never know what edition of The Divine Comedy I should buy. I guess I'll be looking for one that provides additional info to help me understand it. And I don't think I could read it all in one go; I'd have to intersperse it with other books. Is that what you're doing?

I agree. Lula is very funny - she's a great comedic character and works well alongside Stephanie. :roll:

I never know what edition of The Divine Comedy I should buy. I guess I'll be looking for one that provides additional info to help me understand it. And I don't think I could read it all in one go; I'd have to intersperse it with other books. Is that what you're doing?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Divine-Comedy/Dante/e/9781435103849/?itm=1&USRI=the+divine+comedy

This is the edition I own and I would highly reccomend it. At this point I think I may end up splitting up the three books myself because it is a lot to take in and process.

Thanks for the ideas, I know it was a very vague question, so my apologies. I'm not sure really, I'm thinking more a long the lines of one of those 'blah blah books before you die,' or something.. I am aiming for 100 books this year, so I already have that one sorted. Chunky might be a good idea, I usually read books around that amount. :lol: Thanks for suggestions. :roll:

Ah, well then, the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die is definitely a good one. Most people don't aim to read all 1001 books (there are a couple that aren't even translated into English, as far as I'm aware).

The BBC also has The Big Read, which is a pretty good list, and one that I do hope to complete one day.

And there's the Modern Library's top 100, which you might also like to look into.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Divine-Comedy/Dante/e/9781435103849/?itm=1&USRI=the+divine+comedy

This is the edition I own and I would highly reccomend it. At this point I think I may end up splitting up the three books myself because it is a lot to take in and process.

Oh, that's so lovely! I want, I want!

The Rory Book List is a list of books that have been mentioned on the Gilmore Girls TV show. One of the main characters, Rory, is a huge lover of books, and she is often seen reading. Eagle-eyed viewers have made up lists of the books she has read or books that have been mentioned throughout the show (pop culture references abound). There are various lists floating around so it's hard to know exactly which is the correct one, but they are mostly the same.

Rory has very good taste in literature, and she reads a lot of classics as well as modern literature. Her reading tastes are quite varied, just like yours Janet. I think you might get a lot out of the Rory Book List if you felt like adding another challenge to your list. :lol:

OK, here's a copy of Rory's Book List I have (don't look too closely at it, Frankie, because this is different to Shonali's list; I have no idea where I got this one, but I think it might be from Goodreads :roll:):

Thanks Kylie. Some excellent books on that list. :lol:

Ben - I'm enjoying the 'Decades' challenge that Kylie mentioned - good luck with whichever one you do. :lol:

Ben - I'm enjoying the 'Decades' challenge that Kylie mentioned - good luck with whichever one you do. :lol:

Thanks you! I'll look into the possibilities before making a decision. It might be that I don't start any of them for a little while yet.. it might be that I start tomorrow, I am yet to decide.

Ah, well then, the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die is definitely a good one. Most people don't aim to read all 1001 books (there are a couple that aren't even translated into English, as far as I'm aware).

The BBC also has The Big Read, which is a pretty good list, and one that I do hope to complete one day.

And there's the Modern Library's top 100, which you might also like to look into.

Them three sound good, 'The Big Read' especially looks like a good list. Thanks again for the suggestions Kylie. :roll:

Thanks Kylie. Some excellent books on that list. :lol:

Them three sound good, 'The Big Read' especially looks like a good list. Thanks again for the suggestions Kylie. :roll:

I'm at your service. :lol:

I finished reading The Silver Chair by CS Lewis yesterday.

It was a good read, but not my favourite of the Narnia series. I missed the Pevensie kids a bit but Jill and Eustace were pretty good. It also seemed to end a little abruptly.

8/10

It was a good read, but not my favourite of the Narnia series. I missed the Pevensie kids a bit but Jill and Eustace were pretty good. It also seemed to end a little abruptly.

8/10

I know what you mean about this one. I too missed the Pevensie children. I think it is such a shame they are not included in all the stories

8/10

Yeah that was probably one of my least favourite Narnia stories as well.

Do the Pevensie children reappear in any later stories? I've been reading the Chronicles of Narnia in the order they were published, so I've read:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Prince Caspian

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Silver Chair

Next up are:

The Horse and His Boy

The Magician's Nephew

The Final Battle

Late last night I started reading Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I'm already over 100 pages in and really enjoying it (thanks to everyone who has been recommending it!)

I'm hoping to finish the first part of Fahrenheit 451 today, because I've really been neglecting it.

Do the Pevensie children reappear in any later stories?

Short answer ~ Yes!

'The Magician's Nephew' although published later, is in many ways the first book of Narnia and is enjoyable as it pinpoints the first inklings of later event (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

Janet has inspired me to take up the World Challenge; reading a book from every country in the world. Like my 1001 Challenges, I don't expect to ever really complete this, but I'd like to see where it takes me and how far I can get. :D

I'm going to backdate this challenge a bit and add authors that I've read over the last few years (Janet assures me that this isn't cheating :D). I'll be updating this post as I go along. I've added the map (a big drawcard for doing this challenge! :roll:) with a few random countries that I know I've already completed, but I'll go over my reading lists in the next few days and update it properly.

Oh, and there's no time limit to this. I'll wrap it up whenever I get bored with it. :jump:

Good luck with this one Kylie, certainly seems like a mountain to climb! I don't think I'd be any good at this one, my Geography skills leave a lot to be desired. :D