Good speculative fiction under

For some reason Salman Rushdie's 'Haroun And The Sea Of Stories' sprang into my mind. From Amazon,

He looked into the water and saw that it was made up of a thousand thousand thousand and one different currents, each one a different colour, weaving in and out of one another like a liquid tapestry of breathtaking complexity; and Iff explained that these were the Streams of Story, that each coloured strand represented and contained a single tale. Different parts of the Ocean contained different sorts of stories, and as all the stories that had ever been told and many that were still in the process of being invented could be found here, the Ocean of the Streams of Story was in fact the biggest library in the universe. And because the stories were held here in fluid form, they retained the ability to change, to become new versions of themselves, to join up with other stories and so become yet other stories; so that unlike a library of books, the Ocean of the Streams of Story was much more than a storeroom of yarns. It was not dead, but alive.

It has been years since I read this, but I do remember enjoying it. Mr Rushdie sure can write!

It probably sprung to your mind as you half-remembered the old thread in which I looked for books on 'books, libraries, stories' - and in fact this does, I must say, sound completely and utterly like my cup of tea :roll: well done Chrissy :D. I am sorely tempted and will quite probably get it unless someone can convince me otherwise...!

Sorry:lurker: it's hard not to be tempted, I'll admit - Brust comes recommended by Gaiman and quotes Milton, what more could one want?

ETA: a recent trip to Forbidden Planet also informs me that it's one of them really strokeable books, too; and I'll readily confess to have bought more than one volume lured in by pretty texture. It's always worked in the past however, so why stop?