~Weave's World Of Books 2010~

Weave

My reading log from June 2010 ~

June ~

1. The Ghost Writer by John Harwood ~ Started: 28.05.10 ~ Finished: 03.06.10

2. The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud by Ben Sherwood ~ Started: 03.06.10 ~ Finished: 04.06.10

3. Night by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 07.06.10 ~ Finished: 08.06.10

4. Dawn by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 08.06.10 ~ Finished: 09.06.10

5. Day by Elie Wiesel ~ Started: 09.06.10 ~ Finished: 10.06.10

6. Beastly by Alex Flinn ~ Started: 10.06.10 ~ Finished: 10.06.10

7. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer ~ Started: 10.06.10 ~ Finished: 11.06.10

8. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 14.06.10 (re~read)

9. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer ~ Started: 11.06.10 ~ Finished: 15.06.10 (re~read)

10. The Help by Kathryn Stockett ~ Started: 15.06.10 ~ Finished: 18.06.10

11. The Seance by John Harwood ~ Started: 18.06.10 ~ Finished: 25.06.10

12. Twenty-four Eyes by Sakae Tsuboi ~ Started: 18.06.10 ~ Finished: 26.06.10

July ~

1. Banquet of the Damned by Adam Nevill ~ Started: 26.06.10 ~ Finished: 04.07.10

2. Little Big Man by Thomas Berger ~ Started: 26.06.10 ~ Finished: 10.07.10

3. The Return of little Big Man by Thomas Berger ~ Started: 10.07.10 ~ Finished: 18.07.10

4. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (re-read) ~ Started: 18.07.10 ~ Finished: 23.07.10

5. The Object-Lesson by Edward Gorey ~ Started: 23.07.10 ~ Finished: 23.07.10

6. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill ~ Started: 23.07.10 ~ Finished: 27.07.10

7. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 27.07.10 ~ Finished: 31.07.10

August ~

1. Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 31.07.10 ~ Finished: 01.08.10

2. Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris ~ Started: 01.08.10 ~ Finished: 02.08.10

3. Generation Dead by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 02.08.10 ~ Finished: 05.08.10

4. The Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 05.08.10 ~ Finished: 08.08.10

5. Passing Strange by Daniel Waters ~ Started: 08.08.10 ~ Finished: 11.08.10

6. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame ~ Started: 11.08.10 ~ Finished: 14.08.10

7. Hourglass by Claudia Gray ~ Started: 12.08.10 ~ Finished: 14.08.10

8. Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill ~ Started: 14.08.10 ~ Finished: 20.08.10

9. The Passage by Justin Cronin ~ Started: 20.08.10 ~ Finished: 29.08.10

10. Adrian Mole – The Prostrate Years by Sue Townsend ~ Started: 29.08.10 ~ Finished: 29.08.10

11. The Radleys by Matt Haig ~ Started: 29.08.10 ~ Finished: 31.08.10

September ~

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 31.08.10 ~ Finished: 03.09.10 (re~read)

2. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games~Book II)by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 03.09.10 ~ Finished: 06.09.10 (re~read)

3. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games~Book III) by Suzanne Collins ~ Started: 06.09.10 ~ Finished: 08.09.10

4. Lover Eternal (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 08.09.10 ~ Finished: 09.09.10

5. Lover Awakened (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 09.09.10 ~ Finished: 11.09.10

6. Lover Revealed (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 11.09.10 ~ Finished: 13.09.10

7. Lover Unbound (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 14.09.10 ~ Finished: 15.09.10

8. Lover Enshrined (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 15.09.10 ~ Finished: 16.09.10

9. The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell ~ Started: 16.09.10 ~ Finished: 18.09.10

10. Lover Avenged (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 18.09.10 ~ Finished: 22.09.10

11. Lover Mine (The Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward ~ Started: 22.09.10 ~ Finished: 25.09.10

12. Imprint by Annie Frame ~ Started: 14.09.10 ~ Finished: 14.09.10

13. The Quiet Road by Annie Frame ~ Started: 25.09.10 ~ Finished: 27.09.10

October ~

1. Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada ~ Started: 27.09.10 ~ Finished: 05.10.10

2. The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters ~ Started: 05.10.10 ~ Finished: 13.10.10

3. Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon ~ Started: 13.10.10 ~ Finished: 16.10.10

4. The Girl with the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw ~ Started: 17.10.10 ~ Finished: 26.10.10

November.gif

1. Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan ~ Started: 26.10.10 ~ Finished: 02.11.10

2. The Small Hand by Susan Hill ~ Started: 02.11.10 ~ Finished: 06.11.10

3. Pleasure Unbound (A Demonica Novel ~ Book 1) by Larissa Ione ~ Started: 06.11.10 ~ Finished: 08.11.10

4. Desire Unchained (A Demonica Novel ~ Book 2 by Larissa Ione ~ Started: 08.11.10 ~ Finished: 09.11.10

5. Passion Unleashed (A Demonica Novel ~ Book 3) by Larissa Ione ~ Started: 09.11.10 ~ Finished: 10.11.10

6. Ecstasy Unveiled ((A Demonica Novel ~ Book 4) by Larissa Ione ~ Started: 10.11.10 ~ Finished: 13.11.10

7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ~ Started: 13.11.10 ~ Finished: 23.11.10

December.gif

1. The Strain (Book 1 in 'The Strain' Trilogy) by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan ~ Started: 23.11.10 ~ Finished: 01.12.10

2. The Fall (Book 2 in 'The Strain' Trilogy) by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan ~ Started: 01.12.10 ~ Finished: 13.12.10

3. The Maze Runner (Book 1 in the Maze Runner series) by James Dashner ~ Started: 13.12.10 ~ Finished: 18.12.10

4. The Scorch Trials (Book 2 in the Maze Runner Trilogy) by James Dashner ~ Started: 18.12.10 ~ Finished: 26.12.10

Edited by Weave
Finished ~ 'Little Big Man'

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy reading Weave! Hope you find some great reads in 2010 :D

(If this post is in your way, just let me know and I'll delete it :roll:)

Thanks Charm :D and no, you post is not in my way ~ talk sense girlie! :D

Dracula: The Undead by Dacre Stoker & Ian Holt ~ Started: 28.12.09 ~ Finished: 04.01.10

bookcover-2.jpg

Synopsis ~

The official sequel to Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula, written by his direct descendent and endorsed by the Stoker family. The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

(Just for general interest, Mr Weave and I's first car was named Bela L after Bela Lugosi :) )

Following on from the events of ‘Dracula’ by Bram Stoker, ‘Dracula: The Undead’ begins with a letter from Mina Harker to her son, Quincey Harker (named after Quincey P Morris, the man who died trying to stop Dracula), in the letter she tells him everything from her past and what perils may await her son.

I enjoyed ‘Dracula: The Undead’ to a point, its obvious that a substantial amount of work went into creating the story but unfortunately to me, it seemed that certain characters lacked personality which frustrated me, the character Inspector Colin Cotford was proof of this, I could not believe how blinded sided he was about certain aspects of the case he was investigating and so determined about aspects which made no sense, when it was painfully obvious that if he had thought about it, everything would have become so much clearer.

The only strong characters were Jack Seward & Mina Harker, who were both fighting against the same foe, and using everything they had to do it.

As I said I liked the book to a point but I think it could have been done better with more thought into the characters, specifically Inspector Cotsford and to a lesser extent, Quincey Harker, who seemed to become more and whinier as the book continued.

Rating: 5/10

Oh no! I'm so disappointed you didn't enjoy The Un-Dead so much Weave :) I honestly thought it was brilliant :)

I do understand exactly what you mean about the inspector thought, he did seem to have his blinkers on and came to realise the truth in a rather hurried way. I just told myself that in the time it was set, everyone was much more naive so maybe it was a bit more plausable for people to act that way? :lol: The storyline was also tweaked to make it more convenient with the timing and the whole

Jack The Ripper thing

but I did think it entertaining.

I hope you enjoy your next read much more :lol:

Yes, I liked the JtR aspect too. Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, Paula - I thought it was pretty good, but some of the characters were a bit lacking and I would have liked to see less whining from QH and more development of Bathory.

I wish I had liked it more but the characters were lacking, it would have been good to know more about Bathory :)

Death Note volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata ~ Started: 12.01.10 ~ Finished: 13.01.10

bookcover-4.jpg

Synopsis ~

Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his noble goal...or his life? Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against enemies whose names he doesn't know?.

‘Death Note ~ Volume 1’ is the first book of thirteen volumes of the manga series by Tsugumi Ohba (writer) and Takeshi Obata (artist).

‘Death Note’ is the story of Light Yagami who finds the Death Note after it is dropped by Ryuk, a Shinigami death god, the reason for dropping it? Well Ryuk was bored and he loves to watch how humans react to the power of the book. The rules of the Death Note are simple but many ~

1. The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

2. If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person’s name, it will happen. If the cause is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.

3. This note shall become property of the human world, once it touches the ground of (arrives in) the human world.

4. The human who uses this note can neither go to Heaven or Hell

5. The person in possession of the DEATH NOTE is possessed by a god of death, its original owner until they die.

6. If a human uses the note, a death god usually appears in front of him/her within 39 days after he/she uses the note

7. A god of death has no obligation to completely explain how to use then note or rules which will apply to the human who owns it.

8. The human who becomes the owner of the DEATH NOTE can in exchange of half of his/her remaining life get the eyeballs of the god of death which will enable him/her to see a human’s name and remaining lifetime when looking through them.

Light decides to use the Death Note to rid the world of criminals, as the death toll rises, Light becomes known as ‘Kira’ which is derived from the typical Japanese pronunciation of the English word ‘killer’, now he has the IPA (International Police Organisation) after him and the mysterious detective ‘L’, who has to be one of the coolest characters ever!

A great read, a bit confusing at first, until I found out, somewhat embarrassingly, I was reading it the wrong way, it must be read from right to left (as the original Japanese format was), as opposed to English which is read left to right. The writing and illustrations are excellent.

I enjoyed the first volume, one down, and twelve to go.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

Hi Weave :lol:, good luck with your reading for 2010.

How are you finding 'Fried Green Tomatoes ... '? ... I read it last year and really enjoyed it.

Thanks poppyshake, I am enjoying 'Fried Green Tomatoes', its quite an easy read. :D

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg ~ Started: 13.01.10 ~ Finished: 14.01.10

bookcover-5.jpg

Synopsis ~

A novel, both funny and macabre, which ties in with the film of the same name, starring Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates.

‘Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe’ begins with the ‘Weems Weekly’, the local newsletter written by Dot Weems, which is very funny, Dot’s insights are hilarious and appear throughout the book with the timeline of events in Whistle Stop.

The story begins with Evelyn Couch, a depressed and lonely housewife, held back most of her life because of her own fears and trying to find out who she is, she meets Virginia ‘Ninny’ Threadgoode in the Rose Terrace nursing home whilst visiting her mother in law, a woman who treats Evelyn with disdain and complaints.

Ninny begins telling Evelyn the story of Whistle Stop, the cafe, the Threadgoodes and their lives.

I enjoyed ‘Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe’ immensely, I loved reading about the different characters and their lives, Evelyn, Ninny, Idgie, Ruth, Stump, Big George and Sipsey were all rich characters, and there was so many other rich characters that made the book an absolutely gorgeous read.

There is something for everyone, enjoy!

Rating: 10/10

Great review Paula :friends0: I keep meaning to borrow this from my Mum but I've always put it off, think I might actually get round to reading it after that glowing recommendation!

Great review Paula :friends0: I keep meaning to borrow this from my Mum but I've always put it off, think I might actually get round to reading it after that glowing recommendation!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts Fi, it was a lovely read, there was some sad parts and funny parts, a nice easy read. :censored:

Oh good, I could do with a decent, easy read - all I seem to have read lately is what my friend & I refer to as fluffy trash :friends0:

:censored::)