- Stand by Stephen King

- Death and the Penguin by Andrei Kurkov

- The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch

- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

- Harry Potter 1-7

- The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver

- The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver

- Marikki by Astrid Lindgren

Some had recommended The Stand by Steven King, but I realllyyy don't like anything scary:) do you think it would be fine? I know Steven King is a horror writer, but still.. Also have you read The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by him? I heard these also weren't that bad.. I have always wanted to read something of Steven King's but i wasn't sure if i could manage it??

Some had recommended The Stand by Steven King, but I realllyyy don't like anything scary:) do you think it would be fine? I know Steven King is a horror writer, but still.. Also have you read The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by him? I heard these also weren't that bad.. I have always wanted to read something of Steven King's but i wasn't sure if i could manage it??

Hmm, a very interesting dilemma you have! I guess The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon wasn't as bad as some of the others, but in my opinion it's the worst book by him, I found it really boring and just plain awful, I really hated reading that book :roll:The Stand is scary and it's a really long novel as well, but unless you don't mind longer novels then maybe you could read it.

I'm trying to think of a novel by dear SK which wouldn't be too scary and I can only think of a couple of them which might suit you. Dolores Claiborne is something that doesn't have anything supernatural to it, and it's dealing with a couple of crimes, nothing too scary. And a great novel it is :D

What also came to mind was Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption which is a short novel and it was originally published in Different Seasons. It's a really gripping prison story. Have you seen the movie? That's one of the best movies that has ever been made :D

I welcome other people's thoughts on Stephen King, maybe someone else has better suggestions? :jump:

Edit: You might also want to check out the thread on Stephen King and see if you can find something suitable there. I'm sure people on here would love to help you out with this if you ask them what they would recommend!

Edited by frankie

Ironically, Dolores Claiborne (alongside Gerald's Game) is a Stephen King I couldn't deal with - I find his supernatural stuff less disturbing than his 'believable' stuff, I must say.

To Courtney I'd recommend Carrie - there are supernatural elements in it but it's more about a lonely girl wanting to fit in than anything else; only the ending is scary in the traditional sense and as it's quite a short book anyway it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Ironically, Dolores Claiborne (alongside Gerald's Game) is a Stephen King I couldn't deal with - I find his supernatural stuff less disturbing than his 'believable' stuff, I must say.

Maybe it was so frightening because it can actually happen and something like that if not the exact same thing must have happened a thousand times on this planet =/

To Courtney I'd recommend Carrie - there are supernatural elements in it but it's more about a lonely girl wanting to fit in than anything else; only the ending is scary in the traditional sense and as it's quite a short book anyway it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

A great suggestion, I second that one!

I agree entirely Frankie, that's one of the reasons (the other being that, knowing the killer, there's no re-readability factor) I don't read crime fiction!

I have to disagree with that bolded statement BJ; sure there's no great element of surprise if one's read the book before, but the atmosphere and the tension of the book make it a really appealing book if one's into that sort of stuff. I've often thought about reading the book again (well that goes with just about all of SK novels except for The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon) many times.

I apologise for my sweepingness :D I too have re-read many of King's novels even though I know their resolution; I read because I love his writing style more than to know how his stories end - I suppose I haven't found many crime books whose style I like as much.

I apologise for my sweepingness :D I too have re-read many of King's novels even though I know their resolution; I read because I love his writing style more than to know how his stories end - I suppose I haven't found many crime books whose style I like as much.

No that's quite alright BookJumper, I know some people that just don't want to read "whodunnits" twice because they know the murderer/other, and it just doesn't make sense to them to reread that kind of a book :D

I'm seriously thinking I need to read Misery again.

Good thinking, I love Misery; easily my favourite King after The Dark Half. I think King's at his best when he writes about writers, I love trying to disentangle the autobiography from the fiction :D!

Misery the movie disappointed me so much though - Bates was the perfect choice for the part so it could have been amazing, but whoever hacked at the script left so much out I wonder how people who've never read the book have a clue what's going on :D! The Dark Half film, conversely, is brilliant; if you've never seen it I recommend filling the void immediately.

Good thinking, I love Misery; easily my favourite King after The Dark Half. I think King's at his best when he writes about writers, I love trying to disentangle the autobiography from the fiction :D!

Misery the movie disappointed me so much though - Bates was the perfect choice for the part so it could have been amazing, but whoever hacked at the script left so much out I wonder how people who've never read the book have a clue what's going on :jump:! The Dark Half film, conversely, is brilliant; if you've never seen it I recommend filling the void immediately.

I have so many favorites by King I couldn't put them in any particular order, but Misery along with Green Mile, Needful Things and Rose Madder are my favorites. And as I'm writing this I'm sure I forgot to mention some other novel!!

King's movies are always either really brilliant (Rita Hayworth, Green Mile) or just awful (so, so many). I'm not quite sure if I've seen The Dark Half, I think I've not read it, I have to check it out :D

... but you must read The Dark Half, you must! Writer sick of living a lie stages the funeral of his pseudonym, and the pseudonym isn't too pleased - best. plot. EVER!!!

Hm I wonder why I haven't read that book?? The plot sounds great, so why have I skipped that? It's not a book with the birds though is it? I hated that movie.

BTW, I forgot to say that I enjoyed Misery the movie as well, I thought it was really scary, it took me ages to get the courage to watch it again after watching it in my teens.

... but you must read The Dark Half, you must! Writer sick of living a lie stages the funeral of his pseudonym, and the pseudonym isn't too pleased - best. plot. EVER!!!

Ooohh. *Stops making strange noises.* That sounds good!

Hm I wonder why I haven't read that book?? The plot sounds great, so why have I skipped that? It's not a book with the birds though is it? I hated that movie.

BTW, I forgot to say that I enjoyed Misery the movie as well, I thought it was really scary, it took me ages to get the courage to watch it again after watching it in my teens.

Alas there are birds - sparrows. Is that the one you saw? If so, why didn't you like it? I thought it was one of the best King films, maybe a bit dated but effective IMHO.

Re: Misery, the bits that they filmed I agree were brilliant; I'm just galled they didn't film, like, half the book :D!

Ooohh. *Stops making strange noises.* That sounds good!
It is good, Ben. Readit readit readit.

Alas there are birds - sparrows. Is that the one you saw? If so, why didn't you like it? I thought it was one of the best King films, maybe a bit dated but effective IMHO.

Re: Misery, the bits that they filmed I agree were brilliant; I'm just galled they didn't film, like, half the book :D!

It is good, Ben. Readit readit readit.

Argh the stupid, annoying sparrows!! They were effing everywhere! It's been years since I watched that movie so I can't remember anything about it accept for the bloody sparrows and the fact that I hated the movie. That's the only reason why I haven't read that book although I do remember that the blurb was really interesting. But I think I have to take a chance and put the past in the past and try and read the book :jump: Thus I'm adding it to my wishlist! Thanks Giulia! :D

It's been years since I've read Misery as well so I can't remember what's been left out from the movie :roll: But I take your word for it. They could've done it better, although I did enjoy it as it was :roll:

There are very few really good adaptations of Stephen King's novels - The Shawshank Redemption; The Green Mile; The Mist - the rest are all a bit rubbish, really, although I didn't object too much to Misery.

Am I right in thinking that the three films I mentioned were all Frank Darabont films? Hmmm...

Happy days, Frankie. Happy days. :D

Eeek I just hope I haven't led you astray:lurker: and that you actually enjoy The Dark Half now! Quite personally I think it's the finest, scariest thing King has ever written, the cover of my copy is literally falling off to prove it... I hope you'll concur when the time comes.

@ Mac: I beg to differ. What about De Palma's Carrie (minus that one final shot, what was he thinking?!)? The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken? Christine? I've not seen Pet Sematary yet 'cos I want to read the book first, but I've heard good things about that, too.

@ Mac: I beg to differ. What about De Palma's Carrie (minus that one final shot, what was he thinking?!)? The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken? Christine? I've not seen Pet Sematary yet 'cos I want to read the book first, but I've heard good things about that, too.

Ah, yes. Maybe Carrie, it's been at least 4,000 years since I last saw that, and I had forgotten about it. Yes. The Dead Zone I thought was carried by Walken, but wasn't that brilliant as a film. I have yet to see Christine so have no grounds to comment. I shall stand by your excellent judgement, dear Giulia, my friend. :D

Carrie - any film which inspires me enough to dress up as the lead at Halloween must have been a good one.

The Dead Zone - you're possibly right, however Walkie Talkie does such a brilliant job the film IMHO doesn't need much else to recommend it.

Christine - do see it; it's simple, sleek, and classic.

Walkie Talkie does such a brilliant job the film IMHO doesn't need much else to recommend it.

What is IMHO? Also, Walken is excellent in anything, ever, you are quite right. :D

Christine - do see it; it's simple, sleek, and classic.

Will do. x :D

(Actually, this has gone a little off-topic, hasn't it? Sorry, Frankie!)

Please, whatever you do BookJumper, do not see Pet Semetary! Horrid film and such a better book.

Mac, don't forget about the screen version of The Body. The best King adaptation IMO aside from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption :D.

Mac, don't forget about the screen version of The Body.
I'll find it out and view this!

The best King adaptation IMO aside from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption :D.

What is IMO??? IMHO??? I just don't know!!! :D

:jump: