Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

Well you are lucky you can start the series or start with the stand alone. Tough call, as Tokyo has the highest votes. (I am sure I had Tokyo too!)

That's true, I can start which ever way I want and I can't go wrong! Mind you, I didn't know some of the books are part of a series so I'm glad you posted that list for that reason as well. Apparently Charm didn't know either so you saved her as well. Good job Agent C-Woman :)

****EDIT***

I found The Birman Frankie! So I can start the series fairly soon, one hopes. Still can't find Tokyo, but then I think I may have a city named book on my TBR pile so maybe thats where the conufion is with that one. *Starts to do a little dance!*

:lol: Where on earth did you find it?? I'm so pleased that you did!! :) So which is it, did your Mum remember the title of the Hayder book wrong, or did you actually get the Treatment from her but had already gotten Birdman from somewhere else?

Maybe the Tokyo books is actually the New York -trilogy by Paul Auster. Or A Passage to India by E. M. Foster? Should I stop, am I confusing you even more? =P

Woohoo excellent, Frankie! I hope you love Deliverance Dane's story just as much as I did.

I hope so too! And you'll be sure to know what I thought of it when I'm done. I'm either going to thank you for making me aware of such a great book or … mope somewhere in your vicinity.

The Physick Book... is excellent, Frankie. If you like that, you might also like The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. :)

Thanks Janet for the recommendation, if I enjoy The Physick Book I'll be sure to take a look at The Heretic's Daughter :D

I can't believe your 2010 blog is already on 4 pages!

I know :lol: I haven't even read one single book yet or written a review for that matter and this blog is already on page 4, I love it! It's so nice when people pop in for a chat =)

Edited by frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe your 2010 blog is already on 4 pages! :lol:

That may well be my fault :)

That's true, I can start which ever way I want and I can't go wrong! Mind you, I didn't know some of the books are part of a series so I'm glad you posted that list for that reason as well. Apparently Charm didn't know either so you saved her as well. Good job Agent C-Woman

Where on earth did you find it?? I'm so pleased that you did!! So which is it, did your Mum remember the title of the Hayder book wrong, or did you actually get the Treatment from her but had already gotten Birdman from somewhere else?

Maybe the Tokyo books is actually the New York -trilogy by Paul Auster. Or A Passage to India by E. M. Foster? Should I stop, am I confusing you even more? =P

I know :) I haven't even read one single book yet or written a review for that matter and this blog is already on page 4, I love it! It's so nice when people pop in for a chat =)

He He, Agent C-woman... I like it! :lol:

I found it right at the top of my TBR lump. The thing is is that it is on the landing and it reaches well above my head height and I could not see it. My Mum was wrong, the Birdman was a new copy which my Mum bought and I got the treatment in a charity shop. I have decided that I am going to sort out the TBR pile tonight and put my list on here. I do have some more floating around in different rooms which I will add later.

Holy moly! You have some ambition this year Frankie!

I'm stealing the following from your list and adding them to my own *muhahaha*

Capote, Truman: In Cold Blood

Carroll, Lewis: Alice in Wonderland

Fforde, Jasper: Lost in a Good Book

Plath, Sylvia: The Bell Jar

Plath, Sylvia: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath

Stone, Irving: The Origin – A Biographical Novel of Charles Darwin

Happy reading and good luck! :)

oooh I still have LOADS of his books to read on my TBR pile but the book/s that I have been read have been awesome!

He is great isn't he, a bit like Tess Gerritsen too. His series which starts with The Rosary Girls is one of my favs :D

Don't you hate when you pick up a really good book and find out that it is half way through the series! I can't physically read the book until I have read the others first. Thats my excuse for my rather large TBR pile.

I cant' stand it when that happens :), I tend to buy books by various authors who I've seen mentioned on here if I see them in a charity shop, so I have quite a few mid series novels :lol: I do mean to get the rest!

Not sure when I am going to read The Birdman and The treatment, but if you have not got them by the time I have finished I wil be quite happy to send them to you. But I warn you I have sooo many books to read before I get there

Why thank you! :) That's very generous of you, and an offer I will surely take you up on, if I haven't got them myself by that stage! Don't rush on my account though, as you know, I have quite a substantial TBR pile myself :lol:

Apparently Charm didn't know either so you saved her as well. Good job Agent C-Woman

You did indeed Agent C! :)

I found it right at the top of my TBR lump. The thing is is that it is on the landing and it reaches well above my head height and I could not see it. My Mum was wrong, the Birdman was a new copy which my Mum bought and I got the treatment in a charity shop. I have decided that I am going to sort out the TBR pile tonight and put my list on here. I do have some more floating around in different rooms which I will add later.

Okay so that's how it all went down. Please be careful sorting out your TBR pile, we do NOT want Birdman knocking you over! I'm eager to see what's on your TBR after you've sorted it out, don't take too long :)

Holy moly! You have some ambition this year Frankie!

I hope you don't think I'm going to read everything that's on my TBR, wishlist and Rory Lists this year, because that's just impossible! I just wanted to make the lists and add them on my blog so it'll be easier to follow how my TBR is increasing/decreasing and how much I've left to read on this and that list. I'll be carrying on with those lists for the next 5 years at least!

I'm stealing the following from your list and adding them to my own *muhahaha*

Fforde, Jasper: Lost in a Good Book

Steal away, but in the case of Jasper Fforde please notice that Lost in a Good Book is a part of a series which should definitely be read in order. So start with The Eyre Affair :) Fforde is a very good choice by the way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :lol:

Edited by frankie

Steal away, but in the case of Jasper Fforde please notice that Lost in a Good Book is a part of a series which should definitely be read in order. So start with The Eyre Affair :) Fforde is a very good choice by the way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :lol:

I've been following a few of the conversations about it on here and am excited to read the series. Haha, sorry, I just copy and pasted :). From what others have said it sounds like a very good read.

Oooooh I got this book as part of the BCF secret santa :lol: I read the first few lines and could have easilly read on. Really looking forward to it :)

TO anyone planning on reading The Eyre Affair - please do read Jane Eyre first as you will get SO much more out of TEA if you do. It's all very well knowing the basics of the plot, but if you've read the whole book SO many more of the "in-jokes" will make sense and it'll be a FAR funnier read.

And Jane Eyre is also a fantastic book in its own right so I recommend it even if you're NOT planning on the Jasper Fforde! :)

TO anyone planning on reading The Eyre Affair - please do read Jane Eyre first as you will get SO much more out of TEA if you do. It's all very well knowing the basics of the plot, but if you've read the whole book SO many more of the "in-jokes" will make sense and it'll be a FAR funnier read.

And Jane Eyre is also a fantastic book in its own right so I recommend it even if you're NOT planning on the Jasper Fforde! :)

Will do Kell :) Cheers!

Oooooh I got this book as part of the BCF secret santa :D I read the first few lines and could have easilly read on. Really looking forward to it :)

Oh that's excellent news Nicola! I'm really pleased for you, you're truly in for a treat :) And I couldn't agree more with Kell, it's crucial that you read Jane Eyre before The Eyre Affair, if you haven't read it already :) This goes for you CaliLily as well!

I'm going to copy here my Book Activity Today:

I had the most wonderful trip to my favorite secondhand bookstore today. I stayed there for over an hour, I found a lot of Swedish and German books in the English lit section and put them to their right sections, which made a lot of room in the English section so I could nicely do a little rearranging. Now it's all nice and organised :lol: The last time I went there I bought C. J. Sansom's Dissolution and had to leave the three other books in the series there because no matter how much I wanted them, I couldn't just buy 4 books in a series I've never read. But now I've heard from some of you guys that the series is great and I was so pleased to find the books still there in the store! :lol: So all in all, I got me these:

- C. J. Sansom: Dark Fire

- C. J. Sansom: Sovereign

- C. J. Sansom: Revelation

- John Fowles: The Magus (which is in 1001 Books You Must Read but which also sounded like a really fascinating read in it's own right)

- Jane Harris: The Observations (the blurb was really interesting)

I'm a happy puppy!!

I'm hoping to finish The Virgin in the Ice today, I've grown tired of it and wanted to start something completely different.

Okay so that's how it all went down. Please be careful sorting out your TBR pile, we do NOT want Birdman knocking you over! I'm eager to see what's on your TBR after you've sorted it out, don't take too long :D

Well I have finally done it after numerous bookks hitting my head, over and over again, I nearly gave up :roll:

Well I have finally done it after numerous bookks hitting my head, over and over again, I nearly gave up :D

I have chatted with you today and fortunately you seemed alright in the head, well at least the same as always before. So I guess you weren't too badly injured! :roll:

I finally finished my first read of the year and here's the review. (Those of you who are new to the forum or my reading blogs must be warned: I'm awful at writing reviews and I'm usually too lazy to write them in the first place, so don't be surprised if I sometimes slip from writing one :D)

The Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters

The blurb:

Winter, 1139. Brother Cadfael's tranquil life in the monastery gardens at Shrewsbury is once again interrupted by violent, mysterious happenings. Raging civil war has sent many refugees fleeing north from Worcester, among them two orphans of a great family and their companion, a nun. But they seem to have disappeared somewhere in the wild winter landscape of frost and snow – and Cadfael sets out to find them.

This was my first ever Brother Cadfael mystery. I found this book in a charityshop and marvelled at the beautiful bookcover and the words ”a medieval whodunnit” on the cover. The blurb sounded very intriguing and because of the low price I just couldn't leave the book behind.

At first I flew through the pages but after sometime the storyline became quite repetitive. People who had vanished were found, the same people disappeared again, and some of them were found yet again. All this happened in the dark and freezing England. The references to snow were very numerous and varied which began to irritate me quite early on because it's been snowing here and the days have been freezing and I'd rather it be summertime :D

However, when I got towards the end and the action part of the novel I found the book very gripping. The battle scenes reminded me of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court somehow (another great read by the way). I thought I had figured out the murderer and all the events that had led the characters to where they were in the end but I was quite mistaken! There were some twists that I had not seen coming at all and the ending took me by surprise.

Overall I'm really happy to have read the book. I wouldn't mind reading the other Cadfael mysteries and will definitely buy them if I'll find them in secondhand bookshops or charityshops, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to actually order the books online. 4/5

Edited by frankie

I have chatted with you today and fortunately you seemed alright in the head, well at least the same as always before. So I guess you weren't too badly injured! :roll:

I finally finished my first read of the year and here's the review. (Those of you who are new to the forum or my reading blogs must be warned: I'm awful at writing reviews and I'm usually too lazy to write them in the first place, so don't be surprised if I sometimes slip from writing one :lol:)

The Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters

The blurb:

Winter, 1139. Brother Cadfael's tranquil life in the monastery gardens at Shrewsbury is once again interrupted by violent, mysterious happenings. Raging civil war has sent many refugees fleeing north from Worcester, among them two orphans of a great family and their companion, a nun. But they seem to have disappeared somewhere in the wild winter landscape of frost and snow

Thanks CW, Ben and Charm :roll:

Charm, Wikipedia informed me thus:

"Brother Cadfael is the fictional main character in a series of historical murder mysteries written by the linguist-scholar Edith Pargeter under the name "Ellis Peters". The character of Cadfael himself is a Welsh Benedictine monk living at Shrewsbury Abbey, in western England, in the first half of the 12th century.

Many of the books were adapted into both radio episodes in which Glyn Houston and subsequently Philip Madoc played the monk, and a television series starring Derek Jacobi as Cadfael."

Thanks CW, Ben and Charm :lol:

Charm, Wikipedia informed me thus:

"Brother Cadfael is the fictional main character in a series of historical murder mysteries written by the linguist-scholar Edith Pargeter under the name "Ellis Peters". The character of Cadfael himself is a Welsh Benedictine monk living at Shrewsbury Abbey, in western England, in the first half of the 12th century.

Many of the books were adapted into both radio episodes in which Glyn Houston and subsequently Philip Madoc played the monk, and a television series starring Derek Jacobi as Cadfael."

I thought so! Yay! I was right! :boogie:I didn't fancy the series, but the book doesn't look half bad :roll:

I thought so! Yay! I was right! :boogie:I didn't fancy the series, but the book doesn't look half bad :lol:

I agree I hate the show, I get bored, so if I see a cadfel book in the charity shops I normally never even pick them up, but you may convert me Frankie and I may pick it up... may not buy it :roll: but will certainly pick it up.

I agree I hate the show, I get bored, so if I see a cadfel book in the charity shops I normally never even pick them up, but you may convert me Frankie and I may pick it up... may not buy it :lol: but will certainly pick it up.

:lol: Yay, my first review this year (and in ages for that matter) and I've converted one person to actually pick the book up, to physically lift if! :roll:

:lol: Yay, my first review this year (and in ages for that matter) and I've converted one person to actually pick the book up, to physically lift if! :roll:

Yes you have tempted me to lift it up and read the blurb on the back, that is an accomplishment :lol:

Too Close To Home is brilliant, I flew through it! I bought No Time For Goodbye first and couldn't really get into it, but I flew through the second one so it might just have been an absence of mojo the first time, and I'll be giving that one another go :D I can't wait to hear your thoughts once you've finished Too Close To Home!

Too Close To Home is brilliant, I flew through it! I bought No Time For Goodbye first and couldn't really get into it, but I flew through the second one so it might just have been an absence of mojo the first time, and I'll be giving that one another go :D I can't wait to hear your thoughts once you've finished Too Close To Home!

I haven't read No Time for Goodbye yet of course so I couldn't really say, but I can't imagine Barclay could've screwed up with that novel and then written such an amazing thriller (TCTH). So I'm thinking it was just poor mojo with you, or then it just didn't fit your mood at that time. Do try reading it again, I've heard so many great things about that novel, it was actually that novel which made me interested in Barclay in the first place :blush:

I'll be updating my TBR list today, I got 5 new books today :lol: