Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmph, not exactly what I wanted to hear =/ I'll try and remember to keep this in mind when reading the book, and just hope that I don't mind the ridiculous stuff :) Nollaig do you think that you'll be reading another book by her anytime soon? I'd like to hear what you thought of your second Hayder experience if you do. Also, other people's thoughts on Mo Hayder would be welcome! I think I might bump her books up on my reading list.

Yeahh I'll probably read anything I can pick up second hand at the charity shop over the next month or two, I'll let you know what and when I've read it ;)

I actually really WANTED to like her. She clearly has potential and some good ideas.

Yeahh I'll probably read anything I can pick up second hand at the charity shop over the next month or two, I'll let you know what and when I've read it :)

I actually really WANTED to like her. She clearly has potential and some good ideas.

Well let's hope then that it was one of her worst novels (or rather, her only bad one) and the others will be better. I know what you mean, for some reason which I don't know/can't remember I want to like her novels.

Hayder fans, come out come out where ever you are, and let us know which book to read!

7000th post! :)

Pig Island is worth a read ANYWAY for the first half/three-quarters, so once you're prepared to possibly not like the end, you'll probably enjoy a lot of it ;)

ETA: If you want my copy you can have it. I think I still have it, but it's at my other house so it'll be a couple weeks before I can get it out to you.

Edited by Nollaig

Ohh okay I thought you didn't, I must have read something wrong. Sorry :)

I do hope you enjoy it though, and either way I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

No problemos! Thanks for the offer though, it was kind of you :D

I'm beginning to get annoyed at the fact that I'm still at BF's and don't have my Hayder copies with me ;)

:D

Wow! Over 200 on your TBR pile? You should make a resolution not to buy any more, you have plenty to last you a couple of years, well one year anyway, the way you read! This is the most organised thread I've seen yet, I thought I was gonna have to post 2 posts as I didn't think I'd fit everything in! :D

TBR

- Carroll, Lewis: Alice in Wonderland

Lovely book!

- Deaver, Jeffery: Blue Nowhere (BCF)

- Deaver, Jeffery: The Empty Chair (BCF)

- Deaver, Jeffery: The Stone Monkey (BCF)

- Deaver, Jeffery: The Broken Window (BCF)

- Gerritsen, Tess: Surgeon (BCF)

- Harris, Charlaine: Grave Sight (BCF)

- Kostova, Elizabeth: The Historian

- Lindqvist, John Ajvide: Let The Right One In (BCF)

- Lindsay, Jeff: Dexter by Design

- Montanari, Richard: The Rosary Girls (BCF)

- Montanari, Richard: The Skin Gods (BCF)

- Niffenegger, Audrey: Timetraveller's Wife

- Rice, Anne: The Vampire Lestat (BCF)

I enjoyed all of these. The Deaver's of course are always entertaining. The Surgeon is the beginning of a fantastic series which I really think you'l enjoy, as is The Rosary Girls. Let The Right One In and The Time Traveller's Wife were two surprises for me this year and The Vampire Lestat is one of Rice's novels which I enjoyed.

- Zaf

Wow! Over 200 on your TBR pile? You should make a resolution not to buy any more, you have plenty to last you a couple of years, well one year anyway, the way you read! This is the most organised thread I've seen yet, I thought I was gonna have to post 2 posts as I didn't think I'd fit everything in!

It's not like it's madly over 200, it's barely over 200. 201. Almost less than 200 books!! You didn't mean what you said, did you? ;) Either way, I'm not going to make such silly resolutions. I'm just going to read quicker and read more. I've already resolved to watch less telly this year. There, that'll make more time for reading. Hence mount TBR getting smaller and the need to buy more books becomes more sensible. Ha! Besides, I've already ordered like 6 books, and will have to order at least 4 more. It's crucial.

I have a feeling I won't like Alice in Wonderland, I've never been keen on reading the book or seeing the movie if there is such, but I thought having read that book would make the 2nd Thursday Next book easier to understand so bought it. Also I think it's on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I'm not looking forward to reading the book though :)

I enjoyed all of these. The Deaver's of course are always entertaining.

Why of course :D I just can't believe it's been ages since I read my last LR novel. I was actually thinking about rereading The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer recently, I enjoyed them so much!

The Surgeon is the beginning of a fantastic series which I really think you'l enjoy, as is The Rosary Girls.

I really need to get reading these books as well. Asap.

Let The Right One In and The Time Traveller's Wife were two surprises for me this year and The Vampire Lestat is one of Rice's novels which I enjoyed.

Let the Right One In seemed really gloomy when I started reading it some time ago and it didn't fit my mood so I gave it up. I'm expecting it to be great though. The Time Traveller's Wife is something I have mixed feelings about: I hear people either loved it or thought it was nonsense. I have no idea what to expect. Though I think it might be a bit difficult to get into, what with all the hopping from here to there, from now to then.

You say you're having problems with one of Anne Rice's books now? Well I totally get you, because I started reading The Vampire Lestat last summer after having read Interview with the Vampire and absolutely loved it. I was so eager to read Lestat.... but I found it utterly boring and annoying. I struggled for so long but had to give it up. I might give it a go later, because I do want to continue reading Anne Rice.

So did you give Anne another go or have you already replaced that book with something else?

I do hope you get to read Dracula the Un-Dead, I really enjoyed it although I think Noll didn't hold it in such high esteem and I believe Weave has had a hit and miss experience so far. Love to hear how you find it.

Yeah I noticed the mixed reactions to the novel and I'm quite eager to see whether I like it myself or not. I was really surprised to see it's already in our library's collection so I'll get to borrow it from there when I get back home :D Will let you know how I liked it after I've read it!

Was it me who recommended Pig Island? I would say yes it is worth a read but like Noll says the ending leaves a lot to be desired and it is a rather icky read, not gory as such, just 'icky'

Well I'm not totally sure, maybe it wasn't you? Or maybe you recommended some other Mo Hayder book to me? I can't really remember... Have you read any other books by her?

It's not like it's madly over 200, it's barely over 200. 201. Almost less than 200 books!! You didn't mean what you said, did you? Either way, I'm not going to make such silly resolutions. I'm just going to read quicker and read more. I've already resolved to watch less telly this year. There, that'll make more time for reading. Hence mount TBR getting smaller and the need to buy more books becomes more sensible. Ha! Besides, I've already ordered like 6 books, and will have to order at least 4 more. It's crucial.

No you're absolutely right, it was a preposterous suggestion not to buy more books :D I'm in the mood to buy some more myself, which is a good sign that maybe my mojo wants to come back!

I have a feeling I won't like Alice in Wonderland, I've never been keen on reading the book or seeing the movie if there is such, but I thought having read that book would make the 2nd Thursday Next book easier to understand so bought it. Also I think it's on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I'm not looking forward to reading the book though ;)

I was pleasantly suprised, way better than the Disney version with some great quotes from the Duchess :D

The Time Traveller's Wife is something I have mixed feelings about: I hear people either loved it or thought it was nonsense. I have no idea what to expect. Though I think it might be a bit difficult to get into, what with all the hopping from here to there, from now to then.

I also thought it would be hard to follow, but it is surprisingly easy once you get the gist of it and turned out to be a great read for me. I really want to see the film now :)

So did you give Anne another go or have you already replaced that book with something else?

I'm actually thinking of reading a thriller, maybe a Deaver, not sure yet. I'll just put Anne back on my shelf to come back to when I'm more in the mood :lol:

Have you read any other books by her?

No, no other ones but I do have one on my shelf. :D

I've just added these to my wishlist! ;) Do you know of any other series similar to the Women Of The Otherworld that you would recommend Kell? I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms :)

If you've not already read them, you might like to try the Southern Vampires series by Charlaine Harris (I read the 1st 4 when they first came out but am now re-reading them and then continuing with the series). There's more sex in those, but not too gratuitous and they're very good. There's also the Undead series by Maryjanice Davidson. They're more comedic, but a lot of fun to read (I've only read a couple of those though).

And of course, I highly reccomend Kelley Armstrong's other two series: Darkest Powers trilogy (which, although Young Adult, are brilliant and are set in the same "universe" as Otherworld) and the Nadia Stafford books (which, although not supernatural, bear the Armstrong mark of excellence).

Frankie, I'm in such awe of the number of books you read last year! You did so well :)

I know we've said this before, but we have so many books in common on our TBR piles and wishlists! I can't wait to see how you go this year. ;)

I hope that you enjoy Alice in Wonderland when you get it. It's really a pretty good read, and it's short as well. :D

Now I just hope to do the same with the works of Gerald Brom (a spontaneous outbreak of Brom-itis would be wonderful!).

Kell, you are well on the way to infecting me with Brom-itis. I have already picked up and admired Brom's books in the bookshop upon your recommendation. The only thing that has stopped me from buying them to date is the price. But I'll get them eventually! I would ask you what your favourite is but you seem to love them all equally so I guess I can't go wrong.

No you're absolutely right, it was a preposterous suggestion not to buy more books. I'm in the mood to buy some more myself, which is a good sign that maybe my mojo wants to come back!

Now that's what I'm talking about! Books books and more books :lol: I knew you couldn't be seriously suggesting not buying them. But your mojo, that's the trickiest one I've ever seen. It was always up and running and totally bailing you last year, and we can't have that now can we? I do hope your mojo will be settling down soon, for good.

I was pleasantly suprised, way better than the Disney version with some great quotes from the Duchess

I hope that you enjoy Alice in Wonderland when you get it. It's really a pretty good read, and it's short as well.

You've managed to give me hope that I will someday be able to actually read the book and maybe even enjoy it! Thanks you guys :D

I also thought it would be hard to follow, but it is surprisingly easy once you get the gist of it and turned out to be a great read for me. I really want to see the film now

That's what everybody keeps saying so it must be true. I'll just need to stay focused for the first couple of pages/chapters and get into the flow.

I'll be watching out for you today to see if you've really picked up a Deaver!

Forgive me for not noticing you had the Katherine Howe on your list, Frankie! I loved this one dearly and hope you get to it soon.

I've already ordered the book and should be getting it next week or the week after that at the latest :D I'm really excited about that one!

Frankie, I'm in such awe of the number of books you read last year! You did so well :)

Thanks Kylie :D I'm still quite surprised myself, I didn't think something like that could be possible to achieve. But let's remember that I did read a lot of short novels and YA books. And no chunky reads!

I know we've said this before, but we have so many books in common on our TBR piles and wishlists! I can't wait to see how you go this year.

Yep yep ;) ”You and Kylie have 226 books (or 22.76% of your library and 21.50% of her library) in common. Your tastes for those 226 ratings are 93% similar. ” That's just incredible! It'll be interesting to see where that 93% will go as the year passes and we have more book ratings to compare ^^

I've read ALL the books by Kelley Armstrong and can honestly say you have a mojor treat coming.

And I am very proud of the amount of people I seem to have infected with Kelley-Armstrong-itis! Now I just hope to do the same with the works of Gerald Brom (a spontaneous outbreak of Brom-itis would be wonderful!). I've started with Paula - I know she's hooked already - LOL!

Sweeeeet! :)

Haa :D I think it's a good way to start, if I'm not mistaken she was one of the first people to read the Armstrong books after you'd recommended them and she's done some campaigning herself. So let's see how it goes this time :lol:

I'm excited to see Armstrong on your list too, Frankie! And if Kell started Paula and Charm on Armstrong, then I have Kell to thank too since they recommended her to me and I'm definitely hooked :D. I loved the first two books, and am already about 50 pages into book #3 and am really excited about it ;).

I'm another convert thanks to the likes of Kell, Charm and Paula! I've read all the Women of the Otherworld and the first two of Darkest Powers trilogy since July, and am completely hooked! :D

Right thats it my next book is book Stolen, I feel like I am missing out not loving the series, I found the first book rather boring and meh, just average. So I better like the next one as honestly I can't understand why I am not keen it does have all the key points of a fantastic series.

Well let's hope then that it was one of her worst novels (or rather, her only bad one) and the others will be better. I know what you mean, for some reason which I don't know/can't remember I want to like her novels.

Hayder fans, come out come out where ever you are, and let us know which book to read!

I had heard she had a few rotten eggs, but when her books were good, they are absolutely awesome. I think this has given me an urge to bump her books up the pile a bit! As like you I have read none of her books.

Thanks Ben, I'm pretty confident I'll have a great year of books ahead of me :)

Right thats it my next book is book Stolen, I feel like I am missing out not loving the series, I found the first book rather boring and meh, just average. So I better like the next one as honestly I can't understand why I am not keen it does have all the key points of a fantastic series.

I've heard people saying that the series might not grip you from the get-go but you need to read a couple of the books or maybe even three to get the gist of it and to really get into the series (if you didn't like it at first). So if you've got the next installment or will be able to get it from the library I think people will most likely suggest you read it :D

I had heard she had a few rotten eggs, but when her books were good, they are absolutely awesome. I think this has given me an urge to bump her books up the pile a bit! As like you I have read none of her books.

Now only we need is someone who's actually read her greater books to tell us which ones they are ;)

Now only we need is someone who's actually read her greater books to tell us which ones they are :)

Well I know it is not an actual review as such but I went on amazon and check out the reviews there were the average stars for each of her books (In order of release.

Jack Caffery:

1. Birdman (1999) 4/5 (3 votes)

2. The Treatment (2001) 3/5 (2 votes)

3. Ritual (2008) 3/5 (35 votes)

4. Skin (2009) 3/5 (23 votes)

Stand alones:

Tokyo (2004) 4/5 (36 reviews)

aka The Devil of Nanking

Pig Island (2006)2.5/5 (96 votes)

Hope this helps a little, I always review books on there some of the points are good.

Checked my TBR pile and I have The treatment not the Birdman so I may not be reading it until I find the Birdman. I was sure I had Birdman *Goes and hunts for it.*

Thank you so much catwoman for the research! It does give some insight to what might be the best and what not. Although I have to say I'm quite baffled to see that there haven't been that many voters. Pig Island got the biggest amount of votes but it got only 2,5 ;) Maybe I should just start with that and get the worst book over with :)

I hope you've only misplaced Birdman and will find it soon CW! :D

Edit: Can't start with Pig Island because I don't have it :D I have Tokyo and Birdman. I think. I just checked but I'm already confused. The names of the Hayder books are all so alike!!

Edited by frankie

Thank you so much catwoman for the research! It does give some insight to what might be the best and what not. Although I have to say I'm quite baffled to see that there haven't been that many voters. Pig Island got the biggest amount of votes but it got only 2,5 :D Maybe I should just start with that and get the worst book over with :)

I hope you've only misplaced Birdman and will find it soon CW! :D

Edit: Can't start with Pig Island because I don't have it :D I have Tokyo and Birdman. I think. I just checked but I'm already confused. The names of the Hayder books are all so alike!!

Haha. I am the same I called my Mum and asked her what she bought me and she swears it was The treatment, so I must never have got the Birdman. :lol:

Well you are lucky you can start the series or start with the stand alone. Tough call, as Tokyo has the highest votes. (I am sure I had Tokyo too! ;))

****EDIT***

I found The Birman Frankie! So I can start the series fairly soon, one hopes. Still can't find Tokyo, but then I think I may have a city named book on my TBR pile so maybe thats where the conufion is with that one. *Starts to do a little dance!*

Edited by catwoman

If you've not already read them, you might like to try the Southern Vampires series by Charlaine Harris (I read the 1st 4 when they first came out but am now re-reading them and then continuing with the series). There's more sex in those, but not too gratuitous and they're very good. There's also the Undead series by Maryjanice Davidson. They're more comedic, but a lot of fun to read (I've only read a couple of those though).

And of course, I highly reccomend Kelley Armstrong's other two series: Darkest Powers trilogy (which, although Young Adult, are brilliant and are set in the same "universe" as Otherworld) and the Nadia Stafford books (which, although not supernatural, bear the Armstrong mark of excellence).

I have read all of the Southern Vampire series and they're one of my favourite series' of 2010, along with Women of the Otherworld of course :D I'll check out the Undead series though, that's the first I've heard of them, they sound interesting. I've also added Kelley Armstrong's two other series' you've recommended here to my wishlist. thank you! :D

I do hope your mojo will be settling down soon, for good.... I'll be watching out for you today to see if you've really picked up a Deaver!

thank you :) I bought one off my wishlist today, Richard Montanari's Kiss Of Evil, so that's where I'll start!

1. Birdman (1999) 4/5 (3 votes)

2. The Treatment (2001) 3/5 (2 votes)

3. Ritual (2008) 3/5 (35 votes)

4. Skin (2009) 3/5 (23 votes)

Stand alones:

Tokyo (2004) 4/5 (36 reviews)

aka The Devil of Nanking

Pig Island (2006)2.5/5 (96 votes)

It's Ritual I have, so I guess it's pushed back down the list a bit until I have the previous 2! I didn't realise it was part of a series ;)

I've already ordered the book and should be getting it next week or the week after that at the latest ;) I'm really excited about that one!

Woohoo excellent, Frankie! I hope you love Deliverance Dane's story just as much as I did :).

thank you :) I bought one off my wishlist today, Richard Montanari's Kiss Of Evil, so that's where I'll start!

It's Ritual I have, so I guess it's pushed back down the list a bit until I have the previous 2! I didn't realise it was part of a series :D

oooh I still have LOADS of his books to read on my TBR pile but the book/s that I have been read have been awesome!

Don't you hate when you pick up a really good book and find out that it is half way through the series! ;) I can't physically read the book until I have read the others first. Thats my excuse for my rather large TBR pile. :lol:

Not sure when I am going to read The Birdman and The treatment, but if you have not got them by the time I have finished I wil be quite happy to send them to you. But I warn you I have sooo many books to read before I get there :D