Ruth's reading in 2010

Ruth

Yes, I loved it. Definitely one of my favourite books of the year.

I finished Can't Wait to get to Heaven, by Fannie Flagg yesterday. It was a very enjoyable read, and definitely made me want to read more by this author. Then last night, I started American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld - started well, I think I'm going to love it:)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then last night, I started American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld - started well, I think I'm going to love it:)

I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts on American Wife. I’ve had the book on my tbr pile for awhile, but have yet to get around to reading it.

Well, I loved it!! Fantastic book, which I admit I approached with some trepidation, but I was drawn in from the first page. Highly recommended:)

Thanks, Ruth! I'll definitely be bumping this to the top of my pile now. =)

I saw your post, and totally agreed with it. It was the first book I had read by this author, but I'll definitely be looking out for more by her.:)

I just finished Undead on Arrival by Nick Smith, but it was a real disappointment. I read it for the local reading group, and I'll be interested to see if anybody liked it!

Next up is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. She's one of my favourite authors, so I'm looking forward to this one.:)

Edited by Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed The Bronze Horseman. It's not my favourite book by this author, but it was still compelling reading (even if it did lapse into sugary Mills and Boon type reading at times). Definitely recommended.

Next up is Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt - a freebie from Penguin. Looks like an interesting premise.

I started American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld - started well, I think I'm going to love it:)

I have 'American Wife' on my tbr pile :)

Looking forward to hearing what you think of Dawn's book, I like her and I like the sound of the book but I've been disappointed before by novel writing comedians.

I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a bit cliched at times, and the character of Dora (the 17 year old daughter) was very stereotyped. But I gave the book 3.75/5. I enjoyed it more than Dear Fatty by Dawn French, which I read earlier this year.

I have 'American Wife' on my tbr pile :)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

My next read is The One I Love, by Anna McPartlin.:)

Well, I finished The One I Love, and I enjoyed it - it was quite chick-litty, which isn't something I'd like to read too often, but I did enjoy this one.

Next up is Micka, by Frances Kay, which I am half dreading as I'm told it's pretty disturbing.

Micka was indeed disturbing, but still a very compelling read.

My next read is Soul Catcher, by Michael White.

Hi Ruth 3.gif I checked out 'Micka' on amazon, it does look an interesting read, hope you enjoy 'Soul Catcher' :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Weave :)

Yes, I did enjoy Soul Catcher...it starts out a bit slow, but definitely worth sticking with. Thought provoking too.

My next read is Few Are Chosen, by M.T. McGuire.

Happy reading Ruth, I added 'Soul Catcher' on to my wishlist :)

I've just finished reading Few Are Chosen, by M T McGuire. Although fantasy is not normally a genre I go for, I did enjoy this one. It made me laugh a lot, and it was quite easy to suspend my disbelief.

I'm going to read Pride and Prejudice next. I have read it - but it was years and years ago, and I think it's long overdue for a reread. :)

I adored Pride and Prejudice, but I knew I would because it was not the first time I had read it. I might be really lazy over the weekend and watch the mini series again as well :)

Next up is Catherine O' Flynn's 'What Was Lost'. She's a local author and the shopping centre where this was based on, is somewhere I go to regularly. Looking forward to reading this one.

You'll enjoy What was Lost, Ruth, I'm sure. I've recommended it to many people, and I can't recall anyone who's been disappointed. In fact, I think it's the only book I've cared enough about to do a proper review on here. Hope you like it - it's a lovely book, touching but uplifting as well.

Hi Roland - you were right, I thoroughly enjoyed What Was Lost. I thought the author had a real talent for getting into the minds of her characters, and making the reader care about them. I was interested to read that book, as the author is local to where I live, and I know the shopping centre where she used to work (and which the book was based on) very well. I'd definitely recommend the book.

Next up is Blacklands by Belinda Bauer. Started it at lunchtime, and so far it looks very promising.

I really enjoyed By Fire By Water, which I received as a review copy for BCF blog. Initially I thought it might be a tough read, but it was actually very absorbing and interesting. Will be reviewing it later.

My next read is going to be The Tapestry of Love, by Rosy Thornton. I've read one of her books before and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I have high hopes for this one. :)