Janet's reading 2010

Janet

Well, 2010 has got off to an absolutely cracking start with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, which I absolutely loved! :D

This also counts as Sweden for my 'world' challenge.

I am so glad you liked it!

I can understand why it got a couple 1 stars probabl from people who never finished it because it can seem to drag a little for the first half, but once you get past that point it is amazing.

Janet! Trust me the Second one is even better. I read it on the plane back from the states and I did not sleep once even though it was an over night flight. every time I would drop off to sleep I would wake up wanting to read more.

I am hoping I get the final installment for when I nexct fly out in Febuary, if not I will have to buy it at the airport.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Later today I'm going to start A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. The lovely Noll sent it to me and I can't wait to get stuck in. :)

When Eric Newby, improbably earning his living in the London haute-couture trade, sent his fateful cable - 'Can You Travel Nuristan June?' - it was the first step on a legendary journey from Mayfair to Afghanistan and the mountains of the Hindu Kush, north-east of Kabul. Ill-prepared and inexperienced, Newby and Carless endured a month of hardship with great good humour in one of the most beautiful wildernesses on earth.

I'm only on page 29 so it hasn't really got going yet - it's setting the scene - but I'm loving the writing style and I just know I'm going to love it. :lol::D

ETA: Also, it was written/published in the 50s, so fills the non-fiction slot for my decades challenge. This pleases me muchly! :)

75 (11.1.10 - 10pm)

135 (12.1.10 - 6pm)

263 (13.1.10 - 5.45pm :D )

Edited by Janet

Awesome! I'm glad my choice is of both pleasurable and practical (as challenges go!) use!

I'm not even into that genre myself - I knew nothing about it prior to tracking down a suitable title for you, and yet upon discovering it I wanted to read it myself!

Hmm - I really don't know what to read next! I want to pick The Children's Book by A S Byatt seeing as I've been waiting for the paperback since last May when I first saw it in hardback - but it's a fairly long book and I don't know how much reading time I'll have over the weekend and I don't want it to be disjointed.

Sadly I've given up on Travels With My Aunt - for now, anyway. :lol: It's a shame as it's part of my 'decades' challenge and I got nearly half-way, but it just wasn't 'doing it' for me - I found that I my mind kept wandering as I was reading, which is never a good sign. It's a bit slow going.

I might try reading a chapter at a time alongside my next book, but I never normally try reading two fiction at the same time, so I don't know how that will go.

I've moved onto The Children's Book by A S Byatt. I'm only about 35 pages in so far, but it seems very promising. :D

I was led to believe that it was laugh-out-loud funny in places, and incredibly sad in others (from someone in Waterstone's - I didn't get the impression they were trying to 'sell' it to me, but perhaps they were?!) but I found it neither really. It was just okay.