Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Kell

I must say plagiarism does seem to spring to mind with this book, it's good read and well written but he has seemed to borrowed ideas, characters and events from alot of iconic books of the genre. Lotr and The Wheel of Time books mostly spring to mind when I read this.

But I must add that if you have never read many fantasy books this would be a good start.

To sum it up a well written book that will hopefully make a great film.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 'Eragon' today and as mentioned, there is lot of the book which reminds you of other books, but I did enjoy the book, I liked the story, the characters were really good too, I enjoyed the fact that you could see Eragon growing up.

I am reading the next part of the Inheritance trilogy, 'Eldest'...;)

I must say plagiarism does seem to spring to mind with this book, it's good read and well written but he has seemed to borrowed ideas, characters and events from alot of iconic books of the genre.

I'm sorry, but you're being overly judgemental. The book is just as plagiarised as any other, pick up any sci fi and you could use the same argument with Asimov.

Lovecraft took ideas from Howard, Stephan king has taken ideas from Lovecraft. does that make it plagiarism? Name me a series of fantasy containing orcs and wizards which isn't 'plagiarised' from Tolkien.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed it but the only thing i thought was wierd was the boy who wrote based the character on himself and it me "yeah you wish love"

But i loved bad baddie and i loved the dragon i have Eldest but that is packed away somewhere but i am off work for a while so i will have to find it when we move

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished this book. I loved it, even though I'm not usually a fan of fantasy books. I found it very easy to read, which is not always the case (in my case, at least!) with fantasy books. They just seem to drag on forever, and never really go anywhere. This one was very fast paced, with lots of action happening - it was an nice, uncomplicated read.

I was very surprised to hear that the author started writing this book when he was only 15!! :D Very impressive, indeed! I look forward to reading Eldest, though it will probably be a while until I get around to it.

Glad to hear of another fan, I adore this book. I do have the next book Eldest sat on my shelf, I started to read it when it first came out and then got distracted by moving house.

There is no rush though, he hasn't finished writing the final book yet :D

I've just finished Eragon, and I HOPE you haven't just spoilt the next book for me :D feeling very grumpy right now! I guess I won't know for sure until I finish Eldest too :D

I read the second book and I'll let you off - you did make me very unhappy though! Please be careful with statements that could be misconstrued!

I have just finished Eldest and I don't think it was nearly as good as Eragon. Although the whole political stuff was very clever, I think the explanations which became nesessary because it was so complicated took away the whole fast-moving plot which I so liked about Eragon. However, I still very much enjoyed it and I am eagerly awaiting the next one!:)

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I quite like Eragon, i think the plot is nothing amazing, but it's not bad either. I think Paolini has a really fluid writing style and it's very enjoyable and satisfying to read. I'm about halfway through Eldest.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried reading the Inheritance trilogy a long time ago and nearly finished the first book, but stopped because I get so easily bored with fantasy books that include a whole lotta travelling. I'm going to try again very soon though, because I just lurve dragons and the plot was pretty good. I just have to survive through the freaking travelling. :irked:

• 4 weeks later...

Read Eragon and found it quite charming, Paolini can write very fluently and vividly. Got about a quarter through Eldest and put it down as it didn't seem to be moving anywhere, i will probably give it another go sometime for sure though.

I'm stupidly excited for the fourth book even though its probably ages away!:)

So am I! I keep checking when he's finished writing it (lol) but so far, nothing. *shakes fist at him*

So anyways, Personally, I think Eldest was the best book in the series, I really liked the ending, and the Cripple who is Whole and his friend. I love them. I didn't really like Brisingr, it was hard to get through, but the ending made up for it.

If the nice inhabitants of this thread can assure me that this book in no way resembles that horrific shambles of a film my sister dragged me to see (the only good thing about which was the uber-cute baby dragon), I might have to give this a go. I'm rediscovering my long-lost love for fantasy books, and finding that books aimed at adults have generally much lower standards than books for/by young people...

ive enjoyed reading Paoliniwork however i do want him to write faster so i can continue with the story evertime i have to wait for a book to come out i end up re reading the first novels in the series to refresh my mind and sometimes i just want to read the story and complete it in my mind by the time its complete i have read certain books 3 or four times :)