Aussie Author Reading Challenge

booklover7809

I'm hosting my first ever reading challenge, the AUSSIE AUTHOR CHALLENGE!

Challenge starts 1 January 2010 and ends 31 December 2010

2 challenge levels - TOURIST and FAIR DINKUM

* TOURIST - Read and review 3 books by 3 different Australian authors

* FAIR DINKUM - Read and review 8 books by Australian authors (a minimum of 5 different Australian authors)

As an Aussie myself (and the host), of course I will be going for the FAIR DINKUM challenge level. Authors I plan to read so far include Matthew Reilly, Shane Maloney, Kerry Greenwood, Kate Grenville and maybe Peter Temple.... but we'll see as the year progresses...

I like the sound of this challenge, but fear I must try to complete my 'reading through the decades' one first, so I'm unlikely to be able to join in.

I hope you get a good uptake though as it does sound good. Might I suggest you edit the title to add something like 'all welcome to join in' (or similar) so people know it's an open to others and not just a personal challenge? Feel free to ignore this suggestion without offending me though! :kissing:

I read The Secret River by Kate Grenville last year (or even the year before?) and really enjoyed it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This novel chronicles the topsy turvy life led by the Dean family. Martin and Terry live with their parents in the 'Least Desirable place to live in New South Wales'. Part of the novel relates the various mishaps, outrageous antics, unintentional damage and general mayhem they both get into. Martin has a son, Jasper, who doesn't exactly lead a normal childhood, due to Martin's odd view of the world. Various eccentric characters are added to the mix. The result is an exuberant romp, with plenty of twists and turns along the way.

This is a very funny book, with plenty of incisive observation and one liners. Underneath the humour some serious points are made, either by quotes from writers like Spinoza or character narrative. This is an impressive debut novel and look forward to the author's next offering!!