Hi everyone!

Univerze

So, I'm Renate, 28 years old, live in the Netherlands. Have been looking for a book forum for ages, spend most of my time on music forums but decided it would be nice to discuss something else for a change. Books are my first love after all. :friends0:

I generally just read fantasy books, some historical ones and good horror books, if I can find them. I adore post-apocalyptic novels, and vampires have been sort of an obsession of mine for something like 15 years now (if only it wasn't so hard to find decent ones).

I love science fiction too, but that's a genre in which it is quite difficult if not nearly impossible for me to find books I like.

Every now and then I pick up a non-fiction book too, mostly about astronomy (which I love) or the incidental history book.

Now, I am off to browse more of this forum, saw some great topics here already and since I am usually not a lurker, you'll see me around. :(

Hello.

You like post-apocalyptic fiction? Umm... King's The Stand, The Road, the early noughties Fist Of The North Star novel (not the eighties one) and the Harlan Ellison book about the boy wandering through a wasteland (which I've forgotten the name of) are all good places to look for that kind of mayhem. :D

Thanks again for the welcomes, and I have to say, I love it here so far, you guys really are pretty much the nicest I have ever seen on a forum, only one other forum I am on is this nice (not that I am on that many forums), but there they tend to ignore newcomers, not here.

Plus, it's good for me to be here, I am already feeling inspired to read more books outside my usual genres, and it's great to have so many people that can recommend books, or whom you can ask if they have read this-and-that book.

Love it here. :)

I am already feeling inspired to read more books outside my usual genres, and it's great to have so many people that can recommend books, or whom you can ask if they have read this-and-that book.

Glad you're settling in well. That is exactly what I love about the forum - the community feel and the opportunity to broaden the horizons in terms of new authors/genres.

So do you have a favourite novel/author/series of all time, or are there just too many to choose from? :)

Oh I could never name just one as my favourite, each of my favourite authors/books/series has its own good things. I guess I could name Jacqueline Carey as one of them though, I love her Kushiel's Dart and Treason's Heir series, can read them over and over and each time they have new things in them. :)

Laurell Hamilton is my author of choice when I want to read some fluff, her books are a lot of fun but well, as a lot of urban fantasy books, not very "good" books if you know what I mean.

And next I have a love for reading classics, the books everyone knows of but few people (except us book geeks) have actually read. Frankenstein, Dracula, H.G. Wells, the likes. Unfortunately I can't read as many of those as I want to, been going through some tough and busy times lately (actually the last few years) and these books take more energy to read, even more so since my native language isn't english, but I do want to read them in their original language. No problem, since my english is good, but it takes that little bit extra effort sometimes, especially when it's not quite contemporary english.

Oh and I love H.P. Lovecraft. :)

Ahh, see, get me talking about some of the things I love and I can really ramble sometimes. Have noticed that goes for more people on this forum, so guess I am in the right place. :lol: