Help please, trying to remember title!!!

Hiya

This is a bit of a long shot I know....

I read a book a few years back, and its sequel, can't for the life of me remember the name.

The basic premise is that it was set in the near future and humans had found a way to manipulate 'space rock' as spaceships, although the journeys to other planets took many years.

A priest is on one such 'flight' and when they land on a planet that is already occupied by a race of aliens that for all intents and purposes are peaceful... but when he is asked to remain as something like an advisor or go between, basically he is turned into a slave...a lot of horrific things happen to him, including a 'mutilation' of his hands/arms to make him almost docile to them.

The story is a flick between his time on the planet and returning back home with his memories.....

I think the title had something to do with singing, since when transmissions from this planet were sent back to Earth there was a lot of singing but only the priest really understood what the singing was about...

Like I said... long shot, and am aware an waffling a lot, but worth a try!!!

:(

I've just moved this to the 'Looking For A Book' forum - we keep all these threads in here regardless of genre :(

I'm afraid I don't know the book though. I am however very intrigued! It reminds me a little of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, but the Priest's story is only one of seven. He is telling a story on a tree-ship en route to Hyperion, about his previous visit there to seek a legendary race of people called (I think) the Bikura. I loved that story, so this book sounds really fascinating. I hope someone can help!