Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

Book Fiend

Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood

The Blurb

Elaine Risley, a painter, returns to Toronto to find herself overwhelmed by her past. Memories of childhood - unbearable betrayals and cruelties - surface relentlessley, forcing her to confront the spectre of Cordelia, once her best friend and tormentor, who has haunted her for forty years.

Review

This is the third book I have read by Margaret Atwood, and I wasn't disappointed. The basic story revolves around Elaine Risley, who returns to Toronto as a middle aged woman for an exhibition of her work. The story of Elaine's life is then told via a series of memories, mostly focusing on her childhood and her relationship with her 'friend' Cordelia, but also covering the later years of her life. Like a lot of Atwood's books, the narrative is quite disjointed. The memories of her post are mingled in with what is happening in the present, and she skips huge chunks of time when remembering. I found this slightly confusing in a few paces, but in general it works really well.

I absolutely loved this book (it's the first book I've felt compelled to write a review about!). I thought the story was beautiful and haunting, the characters were incredibly well drawn, even the 'bit-part' characters. I also love the way Atwood writes about childhood, she captures the thoughts and feelings of being 9 years old perfectly. Also, the relationship between Elaine and Cordelia, which is the main crux of the book, is brilliantly portrayed.

Mostly though I just love the way that Margaret Atwood writes. She doesn't use lots of 'big' words (you don't need to sit with a dictionary on your lap!), what she does is takes quite plain language and twists it and uses it in the most beautiful way I have ever come across. I risk going a bit over the top now in my praise of Atwoods writing, so I will limit myself to say that I find it poetic and beautiful and strangely hypnotic.

Finally, I will say that I read a few reviews of this on Amazon before reading it, and one complaint somebody made is that nothing actually happens. They're partly right, but they are also completely missing the point. This book isn't about huge thrilling blockbuster events, it's about life, and the people we meet and the affect they have on us. And if you read the book with that expectation I'm sure you will love it.

10/10

All I can say is read it, read it, read it!!!!

Excellent review, Book Fiend! You should write more of them; you have a knack for it. :D I have this on my TBR pile, but I bought it mostly because it's written by Atwood, not because I had any idea of what it was about. Looking forward to reading it now. :(

Excellent review, Book Fiend! You should write more of them; you have a knack for it.

I totally agree ~ Book Fiend, you do have the knack! :(

I have come across the book once or twice, but not bought it. Based on this review I will definitely be looking out for it now.

Excellent review, Book Fiend! You should write more of them; you have a knack for it. :exc:

I totally agree ~ Book Fiend, you do have the knack! :D

Aww thank you so much :(, I was really worried my review would be rubbish! I know what I think but sometimes I struggle to express myself.

Please do read it it's an excellent book. I forgot to mention but it was nominated for the Booker Prize (although I get the feeling this might actually put some people off!!)

I now have an urgent desire to go out and buy everything Atwood has ever written, but I'm going to ration her books so that I don't run out too soon!!

• 6 months later...
Guest Eliza1

I completely agree with that review. The book is basically a memoir and Margaret Atwood has hinted herself that it may contain traces of memories from her own childhood and upbringing. It's beautiful the way she writes. Her descriptions are just so unique. I found the book very nostalgic because the truth in it is undeniable. You find youself thinking about childhood friendships of your own. I think that is probably her aim really. It's a brilliant book.

Thanks for the review, i've had Cat's Eye for quite a while & haven't got round to reading it. I read Alias Grace recently & really enjoyed it so i'll have to move this one nearer the top of my pile :D

• 3 weeks later...

I found this book so disturbing that I couldn't read another Margret Atwood for about eight years, it reminded me too much of things from my own childhood. I'm interested to read thaat it's semi auto-biographical and on reflection it doesn't surprise me.

Thank you for this wonderful review. I read The Handmaid's Tale by the same author last year and I wasn't impressed. But your review of Cat's Eye has intrigued me enough to give Margaret Atwood another try.