One Day by David Nicholls

Lukeozade100

I literally finished this book about a week ago. From cover to cover I was hooked. I could not put it down!

I really felt for Emma the most, she tried so DAMN hard with Dexter, and he never realized it until the very end of the book, I felt Emma's frustation keenly as I have been in similair situations myself, although that might be because I am 22 so I can relate to the younger Emma better.

I picked this book up on a whim, and I am so glad I read it. It is so different from other love stories out there and it just kept me amused till the end. I so wanted to give Dexter a good old push through most of the book, for him to well wake up and smell the beans and get some responsibility. Funny how a character can both irk you as a reader and yet you can still somehow like them at the end.

I really didn't want the end to happen,

I felt really sad that Emma died after they had found love with each other so soon, it was something I didn't expect and it left a very bittersweet feeling to the end of the book or so I felt.

But all in all as I am picking up more and more general fiction these days, this was a good read. I'd give it a solid 9 out of 10 :)

(one mark being deducted because well, I have yet to find a book to say give it 10 marks!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just finsihed reading One Day

I wasn't planning on reading it but a friend lent it to me so felt it was rude not to read it.

It wasn't really what I was expecting I had for some reason assumed it was two people had made a pact to meet up on the same day every year. I did struggle to get into the book in the beginning but I think that was mainly due to it not being what I was expecting.

I was reading it on the bus one night when someone over my shoulder started telling me that she had just read it and that its an amazing book I had to fess up that I wasn't enjoying it which she thought was a shame as she said its very touching and sometimes funny. To be honest I had been over looking the humour until that point and from then on started to enjoy it a bit more.

For the large part of the book I did not like Dexter and felt his narrative (unsurprisingly) dominated over Emma's when I was much more interested in what was happening with her. I liked the format of the book because it wasn't a straight forward beginning middle and end but also it wasn't too irritating with the jumping around and the leaving stories half told which is normally a style that I don't like but for some reason I found it very fitting this time.

Although I did enjoy the book I don't think it will leave a lasting impression on me and will therefore only give it 7/10.

Oh you know Hollywood, they can't bear to actually cast anyone ordinary looking ... the most they will do is tie someone's hair back and put glasses on them .. apparently then they become 'homely' (they especially like doing this if there's to be a big reveal later in the film ... 'oh my gosh ... you're beautiful' ... which actually means they've put contact lenses in and shaken their hair out.)

I know its amazing what one pair of glasses can do to someones personality isn't it ? :rolleyes:

Seen loads of people reading this recently. Whilst on holiday I saw four people reading copies lying on sun-loungers, on the same day. As a result I downloaded a sample to my Kindle, and then enjoyed it enough to borrow it from someone that had finished. I have to admit, I loved it; lots of wit and humour, entertaining characters - for as much as we don't like Dexter, I certainly founding something compelling about him which made me want to read his parts. Of course, Emma should go unmentioned; a brilliant, funny character that I think everyone loved. In essence I think this is a fantastic read, and I was captivated as I read on wanting to know how things would progress and develop with these two.

I'm going to have to read this now. Someone I know who reads very slowly (just a few books each year), has read almost the whole book in the space of a couple of weeks, she was so captivated by it. Have a few more things on my TBR to get through first, but will definitely be adding to my ever expanding wishlist.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a Hollywood film though, and I think they could have been braver about the casting of this part than they have been.

I still maintain that Hathaway is wrong for this part.

I completely agree with you about Hathaway, of course I've yet to see the film and could be wrong but she just doesn't feel like Emma to me (from the trailers etc).

It's a bit disappointing but it's very rare that a film of a book is a true representation anyway :)

Has anyone seen the film yet, and can talk about how well they acted.. of course this is a bit off-topic as the thread is about the book, but I was just wondering. A couple of my friends went to see it the other day and one said that the acting was poor and that they didn't enjoy the film. I need some more opinions on whether to go see it, as I'm still undecided.

• 3 months later...

Great review! I wasn't planning to ever read this book, because it didn't seem to be the sort of book that I would enjoy. However, a friend raved about 'One Day' and gave me the book to read. As to not to be impolite, I thought that I would give the novel a go and I absolutely loved it. In fact, 'One Day' is one of my top reads of 2011.

The characters are realistic and so is the plot. I also liked the fact that Nicholls did not portray the idea of love as something that is all hearts and flowers. I also thought that the concept of taking each chapter of the book as one more year in Dexter and Emma's lives, to be an innovative approach.

I did find that the ending was wrapped up a bit too nicely though . However, like someone said on this thread, I felt so involved in Dexter and Emma's lives that I didn't want the novel to end. I would have been happy for the story to continue.

I have been tempted to watch the film version of 'One Day', but I think that I will resist. The reason being is that no actor can match up to the 'Dexter' and 'Emma' that have imprinted themselves in my mind, after reading the novel. Therefore, I know I will end up feeling disappointed.