Antique Book Collecting/Buying

AbielleRose

The dropbox link worked, ta :) What book IS it, out of interest?

Interesting point actually - I have been known to make the same point on other forums about taking photos and making music - both are so inexpensive to do now with better technology that whatever makes a good one example then becomes more difficult to find.  A used bookshop owner I was talking to recently said that many modern books don't even get proofread now - they're just thrown out into the marketplace in the hope that some sell.

I enjoy reading memoirs from times gone by - I have a few dating from 1600s on (sadly in more recent editions!) by all sorts, ranging from visitors to the New World, a Bow Street Runner, landed gentry in the 18th Century, a Victorian shopkeeper... The language they use is so much more precise and clear. And of course the world they describe is now long gone and that fascinates me too.

The present court of Spain: or, The modern gallantry of the Spanish nobility unfolded, by the ingenious lady-author of The memoirs and Travels into Spain. Done into Engl. by J.P.

It's a first edition as well - but missing a few pages in the beginning.

It contains stories and letters.

I enjoy letters and have a few books containing letters - as you say, they describe a world long gone, and it is fascinating how different is was, and at the same time not different at all. Their concerns and feelings were the same, even though they were much better at articulating their thoughts.

I'm mostly interested in the time from the Tudor period to the Georgian Era but letters from that time are hard to come by in first editions  :giggle2:

But other editions will do, as long as the book is readable and have a nice look at feel.

Do you have a favourite book?

The present court of Spain: or, The modern gallantry of the Spanish nobility unfolded, by the ingenious lady-author of The memoirs and Travels into Spain. Done into Engl. by J.P.

It's a first edition as well - but missing a few pages in the beginning.

It contains stories and letters.

I enjoy letters and have a few books containing letters - as you say, they describe a world long gone, and it is fascinating how different is was, and at the same time not different at all. Their concerns and feelings were the same, even though they were much better at articulating their thoughts.

I'm mostly interested in the time from the Tudor period to the Georgian Era but letters from that time are hard to come by in first editions  :giggle2:

But other editions will do, as long as the book is readable and have a nice look at feel.

Do you have a favourite book?

Ha ha, unless you're in the habit of robbing museums, I'm sure they are hard to come by :) A snapshot of Spain from that time must be quite fascinating.

Speaking of letters, we visited a National Trust property called Claydon House not far from here and the Verney family who have lived there since the 1600s have their family correspondence published - it comes in 4 volumes. I think some covers the civil war period. They had a copy in 1 of the rooms.

My favourite oldie that I've read is probably Roughing It by Mark Twain - his experiences travelling across America by stagecoach. It was like watching a film almost, the scenes and characters he describes are so vivid. And his sense of humour and the absurd is surprisingly modern. I've only read it as a free e-book off Project Gutenberg though - I would like to find a "real" copy.

The favourite in my collection is quite different. An 1869 copy of Warnes Model Cookery which is complete and only cost a few pounds. Its a small leather bound guide for cooks in country houses, pretty much. Lots of recipes with ink illustrations of dishes - even some colour illustrations (pre affordable photography after all!). Some of the ingredients (and indeed some of the recipes!) are quite obscure now but the detail gone into preparation is a wonderful historical snapshot. The whole thing is quite elaborately put together too. Imagine a simple cookbook coming leather bound today...

just found this:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Verney+family%22

Not in "real" form, but interesting nonetheless!

Excellent. Isn't the internet wonderful? :D

Plenty of copies for sale too:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=1&tn=Verney+Family&n=200000169

Not overly expensive either (after the first few copies on that page,  anyway!).

Plenty of copies of the real thing out there too - I did have a look recently but haven't bought yet. I was sat in the drawing room (at the house) and there was a copy of each volume on the table to read, which is how I found it. Only had time for a quick browse then but it did look fascinating.

Unfortunately not - I haven't been down Castle Road yet, I know there is at least 1 used bookshop. 

I usually browse in Oxfam, they have a small section for collectables and antique books.

I have bought most of mine on eBay, yeoldbookworms and worldofrarebooks are my favourite sellers, but there are a lot of good sellers.

You can search for all books in Books, Comics & Magazines>Antiquarian & Collectable and even narrow the search result to year printed - so it's easy to find books from a specific period.

(My daughter (8) has banned me from buying more books for the rest of the year, she thinks I have bought too many!)

But how can you resist when you can get a piece of history and entertainment for only a few pounds! (some more)

Your daughter sounds very much like my wife! haha. :) I guess its good to have someone restraining you, even a bit... No its not, what am I saying?! :)

I think the Eagle bookshop is the main used one in Bedford? I've not visited there either - from their website it looks like they seem to charge quite a bit and I'm quite partial to a bargain. I have bought a couple of things on ebay but tend to use Abebooks for mail order more - lots of sellers and choice there (but you have to watch the overpriced stuff). I think worldofrarebooks on ebay I've bought from too - they have their own website too which is a good browse. I should really get into the habit of using ebay more.

There's an Age UK bookshop near here which is pretty good (although most of their antiquarian goes on Amazon) and a couple of good used shops in Northants I've been to a few times, plus Astley Book Barn in Warwickshire - which is about 55 mins from me so am guessing it would a 90 minute schlep for you. But they do have 70k books in stock and a great cafe (plus a decent children's section). Good for a few hours out. Assuming your daughter would ever allow you to visit a bookshop of course! :)

Visited the Eagle bookshop today - and came home with 6 books for me and 2 for my daughter (she allowed me to buy a few).

It's a great shop, so many great books and so little time, going back again tomorrow.

There is a room with books on sale, many for just £1. And lots of chairs so you can sit down and really enjoy the books.

Can highly recommend it!

Few chairs in each room, 5 rooms of books.

Parking is difficult in that area, but if it's middle of the day there should be spaces.

Parking is free on most of the side roads,but check whenyou park.

We walked there, which put a natural limitation on how many books I could buy. Which keeps the costs down.

I can recommend parking a few minutes walk away to avoid the temptation of buying enough books to start your own library!

The owner told me he has sold a book printed in late 15th century for £10000, so the books there span from cheap bargains all the way to unaffordable.

I'm very pleased you mentioned it, I'll be a regular customer there!

Few chairs in each room, 5 rooms of books.

Parking is difficult in that area, but if it's middle of the day there should be spaces.

Parking is free on most of the side roads,but check whenyou park.

We walked there, which put a natural limitation on how many books I could buy. Which keeps the costs down.

I can recommend parking a few minutes walk away to avoid the temptation of buying enough books to start your own library!

The owner told me he has sold a book printed in late 15th century for £10000, so the books there span from cheap bargains all the way to unaffordable.

I'm very pleased you mentioned it, I'll be a regular customer there!

Well don't curse me if you accidentally spend too much in there some time. ;)  If I lived within walking distance of such a place, I think I'd be risking divorce! :) Thanks for the info, does sound more inviting than I thought! I'm off work at the moment so when I'm up to it, I'll probably head over there on a week day and see where there's a space. :)

My new oldest book is now from 1656 - thanks to the owner at Eagle bookshop who showed it to me before he put it on the shelves :D

Bought some really great books (again), now need to buy a bigger bookcase.

Marvellous. :) What was it? I just bought the first illustrated edition of "Tom Brown at Oxford" (the less well known sequel to the famous public school novel) from 1882. For about £8 incl postage. A steal, really.

I am also on the lookout for another bookcase - this will be my 5th in about 2 years...I tend to go for "old" again though now, after buying new pine ones. I even have permission to put this one in the entrance hall :giggle2:

Marvellous. :) What was it? I just bought the first illustrated edition of "Tom Brown at Oxford" (the less well known sequel to the famous public school novel) from 1882. For about £8 incl postage. A steal, really.

I am also on the lookout for another bookcase - this will be my 5th in about 2 years...I tend to go for "old" again though now, after buying new pine ones. I even have permission to put this one in the entrance hall :giggle2:

The saints everlasting rest, or, A treatise of the blessed state of the saints in their enjoyment of God in glory : wherein is shewed its excellency and certainty, the misery of those that lose it, the way to attain it, and assurance of it, and how to live in the continual delightful foretasts of it, by help of meditation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yj00hs6wil3kk7q/20161110_120929.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/buz8mb1ktvpy6t9/20161110_120718.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri51stju6hifko0/20161110_120858.jpg?dl=0

Beautiful isn't it?

I need to replace 1 bookcase, buy another big one so my daughter can have the small one in her room. Really should get a 3rd for the books she's outgrown, they are in a pile next to the big bookcase at the moment.

My aim is to have my own library, but filled with books I've read or want to read :) (And a house with a room I can use as a library).

Better play Lotto :D

That really is quite lovely, no wonder you were pleased with it. My Thomas Hughes arrived this morning and is actually 1871 so a bit earlier, and well looked after. A couple of hundred years younger than yours - quite mind boggling.

While visiting NT places I get ideas for my own perfect library - mostly it revolves around dark oak wood panelling, a roaring fire, leather chair, dark red walls and subdued lighting. As well as a bay window with seating in it. Not QUITE sure I'd ever get one room that had both! :)  I think I'd still want bookcases all over the house though. I've already earmarked a wall in my stepdaughter's bedroom for another bookcase when she moves to Scotland next year. I've just not discussed it with my wife yet ;)

1871 is young :D

I've already marked in my calendar when I should go to Eagle bookshop again - can't wait!

Books do make pretty decoration, as well as interesting.

I once bought a box of old books for decoration, there were some interesting books in.

Ebay again, 32 books for £30. 

Like a Christmas present where you're not sure what you get, some books I wouldn't have considered buying on their own - but that doesn't mean they're not interesting to read.

There are far worse things you can decorate your house with, to be fair. :) I have been browsing ebay but for specific things (and nothing as old as yours!).  Buying job lots I guess is a bit lucky dip.  I have seen in some used bookshops where they sell job lots of antiquarian books for decorative purposes. 1 of the guides in an NT house actually said they bought in a random load of books as a job lot to fill the library with, as the house contents were empty when they took it over - they just had to be "of the period".

I've decided I'll try and hold off until the new year before I go book shopping again. I should be able to manage that; after all, internet shopping doesn't count, does it? ;)

Edited by Flip Martian

I really should! But, Christmas is coming up and I already have planned to take my sister to the bookshop and another friend in December. So HAVE to go  :giggle2:

Who needs food anyway!

Or heat, or lighting... ;) Well, if they're at ALL interested in old books, then you would be doing them a disservice by NOT taking them, I think... Very self sacrificing of you... ;)

• 3 weeks later...