How do you choose your next book?

Michelle

When you finish a book, and you have a few waiting to choose from, how do you decide where to go next? Do you have a pre-set order in your mind, do you go with whatever your mood is?

One thing I've found myself doing recently is starting 2 books at once, because I can't decide. One will grab me more than the other, and so I'll stick with that one. Sometimes though, I end up continuing with both.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I'll admit I do rather tend towards books by authors I now I like. Then I go for authors who have been discribed as similar. Or if I liked a book & something is described as being similar, I go for that. Other than that, I grab whatever looks interesting off the shelf in the shop or library & read the blurb. If it sounds like something I might enjoy, I take it. I do take recommendations from other bookish buddies if they have similar likes to mine.

Most recently, I started enjoying a whole new genre by sheer chance - never one to pass up a bargain, when I saw Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow on sale for just 99p in Ottacker's, I couldn't resist. I'm now on the 3rd in the series & have bought the 1st in a series which looks similar as a direct result of this serendipitous event.

Never look a gift book in the mouth - LOL!

• 7 months later...

I had never really had a "to read" pile until I joined RISI, so this was never an issue!

Now I tend to read whatever is top of the pile. Unfortunately, I don't manage my books very well, so the book at the top of the pile is normally the last book I bought or swapped, and the books at the bottom will probably never be read. :lol:

it all depends on the mood i'm in at the particular time I'm looking for a book to read.

I agree - if I am getting hooked on an author I will work my way through their back list.

Often my next read is determined for me though - as other people pass things on that I need to get read by a certain time (eg book club reads, somehing that someone else has requested after me from the library, something I'm expected to read for work).

It's always nice to have the freedom to browse my "to be read" heap.

I tend to be mood led. I can move easily between genres according to how I feel. I like to have a wide selection. So if I'm not too tired or stressed I will concentrate on murder / mystery, then have a go at something from a different era and then when tired and stressed with a heavy workload I will go for light- hearted chick lit

There's no rhyme nor reason behind me choosing a book to read. My TBR pile is dotted about the house. I picked up John Sandford earlier today which was sitting on my desk, then when I went to the living room to read for a bit I spotted a Manusue Heller I hadn't read and changed my mind.

• 4 months later...
I try to make sure my next book is a different genre from the last.

i think i tend to do that too. unless a particular book has left me wanting more of the same.

i also tend to not read two 'heavy' books in a row, or too many lighter ones. and i never read the same author back to back, i'll always leave a gap of at least three books (usually more) in between.

on the whole though, all these things considered, when i'm near the end of a book, i rifle my 'to be read' pile, take a few and then when i've finished the current book, i choose one of those

With me, it is sort of like, what will I wear today? Whatever the mood dictates. Sometimes I'll read the same author 6 or 7 books in a row. When I discovered Kathy Reichs, for example, I read the first 5 right off the bat.

If I try to plan too far ahead, I don't feel like the book when I get to it, so skip.

I try not to read too many older classics one after the other. It's mainly because of the older style of writing - it can be a bit too descriptive and heavy going. It's nice to have a bit of a break from that style and read something a bit lighter.

It all depends on my mood. If I have read something a bit depressing, I will choose something humorous next. Also, I will decide I'm in the mood to read fantasy, or horror, or a thriller (but usually fantasy, to be honest!).