J D Robb - In Death series

Michelle

Any other fans? I picked up Rapture in Death, as the theme of virtual reality appealed to me. I was, however, grabbed by the characters, went back to the first book, and have since read the rest of the series, almost one after the other!

They're a crime series, based on Eve Dallas, but a nice twist is that they're set a little in the future. The crime stories are good, the futuristic bits are interesting, but the best is the relationships with the characters.

Each book can be read in it's own right, but is much better as a series. If you're looking for something new, book one (Glory in Death) may well be worth a try.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Michelle,

You're right about the Death books. Even though you can take each book as a separate entity, they are soooo cool as a series 8). I love the way some of the characters introduced in one book are then brought back later in the series. Especially those that become a network of Eve Dallas' friends [which totally confuses and befuddles the lead character].

They are all so human in these stories. You can imagine them...hear them. The back stories that are continue to develop. You want to get to know them all. And the language. Not just in story telling, but when the characters speak to each other. Love it when Peabody is being sarcastic, or the way Roarke reads people, the contrasting Dr Mira and the indescribable Mavis. I have never had a problem with remembering what is going on or who is doing what through the series.

About to read Survivour in Death [from library as bookstore is out] and have dibs on Origin in Death. Can't wait.

:D

They are all so human in these stories. You can imagine them...hear them. The back stories that are continue to develop. You want to get to know them all. And the language. Not just in story telling, but when the characters speak to each other. Love it when Peabody is being sarcastic, or the way Roarke reads people, the contrasting Dr Mira and the indescribable Mavis. I have never had a problem with remembering what is going on or who is doing what through the series.

I couldn't agree more! :D

Hey Michelle,

What did you think of "Survivor in Death". Just finished it and I don't seem to have the same buzz. I think it could have been the decrease in character interaction or am I just expecting too much? :D

Maybe I'm used to having several suspects in the radar, and this book wasn't structured that way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. I'm just not as stoked as usual.

I agree with you.. and I've read reviews saying the same thing. I wasn't sure if it was just me though.. I read the rest almost one after the other, then I had a gap before Survivor, so I wasn't sure if that was to blame.

The good news is that I saw some reviews on Amazon that say that Origin is back to her usual standard! :D

Yipee :D

Maybe JD [Nora] was trying too hard and too fast to get Survivor out. Glad I'm not the only one aswell. Thought the IIH was affecting my sense of quality :D .

Now I'm really glad I put my name down on the Library list when I did..... :psmile: soon it will be mine to read

• 2 weeks later...

Origin in Death

Finally found a copy, bought it, read it. :D

J D is back to her old zing. Bit tentitive with some of her characters interactions, but I felt such relief after the defeatist style she chose in Survivor. That book had me worried :worried:

Anyone else read it yet......Let me know what you think. :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read Origin In Death, and I'm feeling a bit mixed. The beginning didn't seem to good, but the story started developing quite nicely.

I know Dallas is still having nightmares, but she's starting to settle more into all her relationships.. and that's actually disappointing.

Although the 'story' was a bit different, the general idea is getting a little repetitive, and the 'magic' between the characters isn't quite so good.

However, Murder In Death looks hopeful.. I'm hoping it shakes Dallas up a bit! If not, the series needs to end before it goes down even more. And no mucking about.. let's see Dallas killed in the line of duty, and Roarke's grief! (Gosh, I'm evil sometimes! hehe)

• 2 weeks later...

I found Origin better after the disappointment of Survivor, but I have to agree with you, Michelle. The ideal of Dallas happy to have Roarke help her with investigating, and relaxing with friends, takes all the grit out of it. I liked the flawed Eve, who was so competent with one half of her life, and a complete drop-kick with the other.

Glad to hear a few positives coming re Memory. Must go and find, now I know it is out there.