Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway through Let the Right One In and still enjoying it. Yesterday I bought the first four books in the Vampire Diaries series by LJ Smith (they're only 200 pages or so each) and have already read the first two yesterday. :friends0:

I've just bought the following with my Amazon refund:

- The Child Thief by Brom (Kell's fault)

- Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata 1 (Fi's fault)

- Birdwing by Rafe Martin (Hans Christian Andersen's fault)

- A Monster's Notes by Laurie Scheck (Mary Shelley's fault)

Also after a few calculations, I pottered along to Amazon US and ordered/preordered the entire Generation Dead trilogy by Daniel Waters, in hardback with the tacky cheerleader covers (Generation Dead, The Kiss of Life and Passing Strange) which I'm ashamed to say I want rather badly! I think they're shipping them all together which means I'll get them when Passing Strange is released in June, so they should be a nice birthday present!

Off I go to find me some bookends...

Thirty pages from the end of The Book Thief. Taking a break to relax and chat to folk. Partly because I've been reading since about 9am and partly because I think I'm going to be emotionally devastated by these last thirty pages and I'm putting it off for a few minutes.

You're probably not wrong re: those last 30 pages Steve...

You're right, I wasn't wrong :friends0:

Half of me loves the fact that the book was so good it moved me as much as it did while the other half wishes...that it hadn't.

I need to pick an unemotional book next methinks.

Huge snowstorm raging outside, 20 inches and still coming. I love reading on snowy days. I'm putting down My Name Is Red for awhile and contemplating one of two short reads - Alien Hearts by Maupassant and By Night In Chile by Roberto Bolano. Maybe both!

Awww, I'm sorry Steve :friends0: I didn't mean to make you cry.

I suppose one day I'll learn to forgive you :D

Well so far you've been right about Neverwhere and The Book Thief so it's ok. I was tempted to get that book with the long title I can't remember in your Introduction thread but not sure it's my thing. Well, not so soon after tis at least :D

If you've liked Neverwhere I can't see you not liking The Book With the Long Title (aka The Horrific Sufferings of Mind-Reading Monster Hercules Barefoot, His Wonderful Love and His Terrible Hatred); however it's an extremely emotional book - even more so than The Book Thief, IMHO - so I'd advise something cheerful between the two.

Yeah I looked it up on amazon earlier and the blurb made me think it could be quite an emotionally trying book with all that unrequited love by the sounds of it. Maybe one day I'll get it. I should try and order some stuff off my wishlist rather than adding to it though.

The Book Thief has made me really want to order the book about idiots who deny the Holocaust by Michael Shermer though *runs off to look it up*...Denying History.

I loved how in The Book Thief most of the soldiers weren't really bad guys. Just people caught up in a crappy situation.