Your Book Activity Today - Take 8!

Echo

Thanks Bookjumper! ;) The book did surprise me, it had a lot more action in it than I was expecting although there was a good bit of 'poetic license' used :lol: and it was nice and fast paced. You will definately need an open mind and not to have any pre-conceived ideas!

Oh come on, the very very end? The implicit ending is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on, the very very end? The implicit ending is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Like I said, an open mind! ;) Don't be such a purist! :lol: It was great, and it left the way open for another sequel :D

Assuming they can survive sinking to the bottom of the ocean and then swim the 12,000 feet up from the ocean floor, yes.

He's Dracula! If he can survive getting killed by Johnathon and Bathory, I'm sure he'll be able to swim ;)

Can you tell how much I'm into Dracula? I just picture the lovely Gary Oldman and nothing taints him! *swoon* :lol:

That's another thing.

He magically survived the orignal killing. The story was grasping at straws to bring him back.

I LIKED Dracula, that's why I hated the sequel. I loved some concepts,

particularly Dracula being the good guy - that was brilliant.

But beyond that, nah.

I hope you're enjoying Salem's Lot ned, it was my first Stephen King and vampire read when I was about 13, I loved it. :lol:

Thanks. I am enjoying it so far, it is actually only my second vampire read, i read Dracula a couple of months ago.

Oh, I've read a plethora of ebooks lately.

"The Dickens With Love" by Josh Lanyon. (A Christmas m/m romance)

"Taking Liberty" by Jodi Redford. (a Science Fiction Romance)

and "My Christmas Wish" by Ember Case (A comtemp erotic romance)

I'm also rereading some of my Agatha Christie mysteries. *happy sigh* I love those.

Finally finished A Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad: a masterfully written book that would hardly look out of place being released during this decade. Its relevance to the current day events is pretty scary.

I've got this on my TBR shelf, so it's good to hear your thoughts on it, as I have no idea what to expect and this sounds promising.

Don't you just hate it when your TBR pile seems to grow!!

Haha yeah! But its a love/hate kinda thing. Where would I be without my TBR pile? Which in fact grew again today as someone gave me a couple of books she's been meaning to lend me for ages, so now they're on the pile too.

I finished the Diana Hunter book today that I started yesterday. I knew it was going to be a quick one as I had the day off work :lol: And I started Touchy Subjects by Emma Donoghue straight after. I may start another one as well though as this one is a collection of short stories I might leave it at work for my lunch breaks.

So now, just have to make a decision on what to read next.

That's another thing.

He magically survived the orignal killing. The story was grasping at straws to bring him back.

Well technically he wasn't killed right in the first place as Dacre pointed out in the notes.

I thought it was quite clever ;)

I LIKED Dracula, that's why I hated the sequel. I loved some concepts,

particularly Dracula being the good guy - that was brilliant.

But beyond that, nah.

I loved the way

Dracula ended up as the good guy! I totally fell in love with him after Mr Oldman's performance in the film. Not sure if they might have overdone his 'goodness' in this book though, part of his appeal is his bad guy image! :D

Shame you didn't enjoy it as much though :D I hope the film is good.

I have managed to read two pages today :lol:

I'm almost finished Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. It was a quite heavy going for a while and I really had to push myself to read it but now I can't put it down. There's about 40 pages left so I'll hopefully finish those tonight :lol:

Just finished Generation Dead, it was about time I dare say ;)!!! My review is brewing.

@ Noll & Charm - I am a bit of an OCD, nitpicky purist :lol: hence my fear of thinking of The Undead as Noll did; it would vex me if I did however, as Dacre Stoker was a lovely broke who sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I really wanted to like it...

@ Nightingale: emotional response is good, it means this was the right book for you to be reading at this here juncture. Happy continuation, and I look forward do discussing this with you in the New Year :D!

Just how long have you been reading Generation Dead, BJ? :D

*Sigh* Now I've added Dracula and Dracula: The Undead to my wishlist. So many books! Pssttt I'm a big Gary Oldman fan too, Charm :lol:.

Good news, I've finished The Lost Symbol, woo! I'll try to collect my thoughts and post a wee review in my thread tomorrow. Also, my friend's mom gave me an early Christmas present last weekend of 'Beyond the Bungalow,' a great big coffee table book on the architectural style of the Bungalow, which is one of my favorites. It has really beautiful homes in it and I'm looking forward to getting a closer look. She also lent me a new book from the guys on the TV show Ghost Hunters called 'Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of the Atlantic Paranormal Society.' We both love the TV show and whenever she's in town we always catch up on the creepy things the guys encounter ;).

Noll, dare I ask how you're finding The Last Dickens?:D

@ Nightingale: emotional response is good, it means this was the right book for you to be reading at this here juncture. Happy continuation, and I look forward do discussing this with you in the New Year :D!

Yes, i'm enjoying the book and i agree it's the right book for me to read at this time. What a good stroke of luck and a great way to get back into reading books :lol: Also, left to my own devices i wouldn't dream of reading a novel like this. I've been taken outside of my comfort zone.

As for discussing the book BJ, i might toss in the occasional sentence here and there :D. I'm not a very good debater, and you guys appear to be seasoned pros ;).

Good news, I've finished The Lost Symbol, woo! I'll try to collect my thoughts and post a wee review in my thread tomorrow. Also, my friend's mom gave me an early Christmas present last weekend of 'Beyond the Bungalow,' a great big coffee table book on the architectural style of the Bungalow, which is one of my favorites. It has really beautiful homes in it and I'm looking forward to getting a closer look. She also lent me a new book from the guys on the TV show Ghost Hunters called 'Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of the Atlantic Paranormal Society.' We both love the TV show and whenever she's in town we always catch up on the creepy things the guys encounter :lol:.

Look forward to reading your review Peacefield. I am 99.9% sure someone has got this for me for Xmas so I hope it is good.

As for that Ghosthunters book, that sounds AWESOME! I love the show, please please please let me know what the book is like, I would be really interested in purchasing it if it is good. *Goes ands watches the show OnDemand*

As for my reading activity... Well I have read 5 pages! Whoopie ;). I have wrapped books for my boys if that counts. My youngest is a huuuuge fan of the book The Gruffallo. I have read it to him every night since he was 2. I do all the voices and it really makes him laugh. I found a limited edition one in the local bookshop (A last minute buy). I also got my oldest son a book from the TV show Merlin. It is the only one I have found, it is a soft paperback copy for 'younger readers' and has comic style pictures and the font is a lot larger, perfect for my dyslexic son. I think I have overloaded them with books this year, especially my oldest with loads of books about history and knights.

If I am not able to come on here again... I want to wish you all A very Merry Christmas now.. thank you for being my friends in 2009, and I look forward to meeting more of you in 2010!

Been down with a cold this week, so plenty of reading time means I finished two books....'Bitten', by Kelley Armstrong and 'The Time Traveler's Wife', by Audrey Niffenegger.

Am now starting 'Dracula. The Undead', by Dacre Stoker.

Ooooh, looking forward to your review of Bitten. I read it a little while ago, and was not as impressed as I thought I would be.

Just how long have you been reading Generation Dead, BJ?

Ah, well :lol: considering it was a birthday present from OH and I was born in June, on and off for the past *cough* six *cough* months *cough* - I ought to be ashamed of myself! To be completely honest though, I did read half of it in a few weeks... before my mojo upped and went walkies ;)!

As for discussing the book BJ, i might toss in the occasional sentence here and there. I'm not a very good debater, and you guys appear to be seasoned pros.
Don't you worry about a thing, we're all lovely and do not bite the young 'uns; and besides, look at what I've said above: I've been reading the same 400-page YA novel for the past half a year... do I sound like a seasoned pro to you :D?

I couldn't get into Handling The Undead so I gave up on it
*has this sitting on her shelf and was looking forward to comparing it to Generation Dead* oh dear!

I couldn't get into Handling The Undead so I gave up on it and started reading In The Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant and I'm happy to say that this one is much better :lol: I'm about halfway through.

I've been really curious about In the Company of the Courtesan and I've been meaning to try and read it some time, I'm very delighted to hear that you're enjoying it ;) It's a historical fiction novel, right? I think she's written a couple of those. And she's also written a couple of crime novels, too, the Hannah Wolfe -series of which I've read the first book. I quite enjoyed that and would like to read the others as well.

I started rereading a Finnish bookseries I really enjoyed when I was a teen, it's about a Finnish girl who goes to US for a student exchange year and falls in love with Saucer, a boy of Mexican descent.