O's Book list (of doom)

Owen

July

- The Traveller, by John Twelve Hawks (4/10)

Not the book I thought and wanted it to be, but entertaining nonetheless. I found myself unable to really immerse myself in the stories of the character(s) . The plot was linear, rather straightforward but not forgettable. A good afternoon book.

- Cell, by Stephen King (5/10)

Oh, the opportunity missed. Mr King can write some great tales and this one starts extremely well. The protagonist is likable, an 'everyman' persona almost who cares little for his own safety, heroic when needs be and funny.

The supporting cast is also top notch and real, you can imagine yourself along with them. An excellent first half of the book.

Then the story looses itself to a boring and forgettable climax. Characters gain information when it suits the author, filling in gaps in information that were better left untouched, let the reader imagine and make her own mind up rather than painting all of the canvas.

- The Golem's Eye: Part Two of the Bartimaeus trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud (5/10)

This one suprised me, after reading the first in the trilogy (Amulet of Samarkind) I was impressed by the wit and creativity that Mr Stroud showed, the characters were funny but not all likable. Bartimaeus is especially fun, almost winking to the reader from the stage wings.

In the Golem's Eye we see the characters mature and expand, information is released at good intervals and the book is easy to follow. The pace drops, sometimes the reader can see events many chapters in advance which the author may not have wished to happen. A clever book and an interestingly entertaining read.

- Ptolemys Gate: Part Three of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud (7/10)

The Final chapter in the Bartimaeus trilogy and Mr Stroud does not disappoint. The reader is entertained by Bartimaeus' narrative and comments, his memories serve for great reading. The best out of the three. Worth reading for all ages, a fun trek into magic and london.

The supporting cast (assuming that Bartimaeus is the central protagonist) are excellent and intriging, coming into their own. I want more Bartimaeus.

August

- Harlequin: Part One of the Grail Quest, by Bernard Cornwell (8/10)

Having read Mr Cornwell's Arthur trilogy I was excited to get my mits on this novel and I was not disappointed. The world of medieval war and political intrigue are shown in stark light by Mr Cornwell, since the first arrow flies to the last.

Harlequin deals with an Archer named Thomas's life, his actions in the war against the French. I thouroughly encourage anyone to pick it up and join Thomas's quest for the Grail but be prepared for War!

- Lirael: Part Two of the Abhorsen Trilogy, by Garth Nix

I wish to shake Mr Nix's hand and thank him for this story, its imagined world is bright but also dangerous. In fact, for the characters, there is danger around each corner.

The story takes place in a world where mystical energies are beaten back by the modern world and the author takes us on a trip through both. Although the attention has been moved from Sabriel to a younger girl, the story flows well and we are given a chance to revisit old friends from the last book. The characters Moggett and the disreputable Dog jump out of the page and grab the readers attention as soon as they are introduced. I hope the next chapter is just as good, if not better.

- Abhorsen: Part Three of the Abhorsen Trilogy, by Garth Nix

Another good read, entertaining and different. Mr. Nix allows his characters to grow and in doing so gives the reader an in depth view of his world.

A good comment upon Nuclear weapons and war etc and I await further stories and adventures into the Old Kingdom.

- Vagabond, by Bernard Cornwell

Revenge. Blood. War. Victories and Defeats.

Wow, this series just goes from strength to strength, the characters are wonderfully illustrated by an engaging narrative. You find yourself hurting and raging along with the protagonist. A good book, worth picking up.

Almost made me grab a sword and invade France...Almost.

I have the 1st of the Arthur trilogy waiting to be read. I just took Traveller off my TBR list - I'm glad I did now after what you've said. I did start it once but I was suffering from reader's block & couldn't settle into it. I never went back to it either...

Traveler just failed to be the book I hoped it would be, it cheats you at the end as well. It builds up to a definitive ending then it seems that the author realized he could make more books on the same pretense. Talk about stretching it out :|

The warlord trilogy is a great read; I endorse it one hundred percent.

• 3 weeks later...

- Forever Odd, by Dean Koontz (2/10)

Carrying on from Odd Thomas, I really looked forward to Mr Koontz's next Odd novel. The story , however, fell flat on its face.

Whereas the original had an interesting character with quirks and an amusing personality "Forever Odd" failed to deliver. I became bored with the book during the middle and my attention waned until the final page. Very disappointing.

Heretic, By Bernard Cornwell (7/10)

The final part of the Grail trilogy and Mr Cornwell delivers a fast paced adventure and mystery story. Having read all three the reader may see the ending coming a mile off but that did not devalue the tales end.