Recommendations based on various authors, please

My husband has only recently got into reading, and his choices so far are fairly narrow.

I'd like to find a new author, but along the same lines as those he's already read and enjoyed.

He's read:

Jeff Abbott

Geoffrey Archer (no, not that one!)

Harlan Coben

Robert Crais

Michael Crichton

Tess Gerritsen

I bought him a Kathy Reichs to try, but apparently it's a 'later' one, and also not a good one to start with as it's 'different' from her usual style.

So any recommendations along those lines would be great (and also whether I need a certain book to start).

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Janet
Forgot an author

Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series of books is very good. It starts with 'Gallow's View', and is followed by (to date) 17 more! Here's a link to his page, and the complete listing on fantasticfiction .

I always, always, always recommend Jeffrey Deaver. He has a few different series of books out there of which I have read the Lincoln Rhyme series about a paraplegic forensic investigator and his crew. I have also read the couple of Kathryn Dance books.

For some unknown reason I am yet to read his Rune or John Pellam series.

He has also written a number of great stand alones, his full listing is here. He is suspenseful and twisty turny with brilliantly drawn characters.

If your husband enjoyed the Robert Crais Cole and Pike novels there are a wealth of very good American detective series. as a couple of examples you could try Robert B Parker's Spenser series about a private detective set in Boston or Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series about a police detective set in LA.

Another thing to try is to select the author you like on the Fantastic Fiction website and at the bottom of the author page there is a box showing which authors other users of the site have visited.

Well, armed with all the recommendations here, I went to the Bookbarn and came away with Gallow's View by Peter Robinson and Post-mortem by Patricia Cornwell. Both look brand-new, so I'm going to wrap them up for hubby for Christmas (I'll tell him I got them second-hand - he won't care. :D ).

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I've kept the list in my bag and might find some others on my travels.

You could get him to sign up with the username Janet's Fella. Think he'd go for it? :D

Hmm, not sure - he doesn't really go in for forums! He doesn't know what he's missing!

Thanks, Maureen - I've been on Fantastic Fiction to get the order of the books so I don't make the same mistake as I did with the Kathy Reichs book I bought. :lol:

Thanks funrun - I've added those to my list. :17:

Also, Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series...

As I said above (or maybe on the previous page!), I manged to get the first Scarpetta book at the weekend. Yesterday I found Hornet's Nest in a charity shop which is from another of her series, but I wasn't sure if it was the first or not. I've now discovered it is, so I'm going to go back tomorrow and hope it hasn't gone!

I always, always, always recommend Jeffrey Deaver. He has a few different series of books out there of which I have read the Lincoln Rhyme series about a paraplegic forensic investigator and his crew. I have also read the couple of Kathryn Dance books.

Ditto the above - I found The Sleeping Doll too so hopefully that's still there - have you read that one?

I really enjoyed all the Kathy Reich books. I have also read most of the Kay Scarpetta books but as they go on they don't hold up anymore in my opinion. If he likes suspense and the feeling like you can't put it down because you just have to know what is going to happen next I would suggest reading Steve Berry (most of his are stand alones, although he is now writing a series staring Cotton Malone however you don't really need to read them from the beginning...although it does add to the texture of the series. I take that back I think that as the series with Cotton goes on it's more important to read them in order), Daniel Silva's series staring Gabriel Allon which is a must read in order series, and finally Val McDermid and really anything by her is really good. I would read the Tony Hill series in order though. I love all of them! :friends0:

Hope this helps!