I'm looking for a book about love...

I think this has been asked a lot of times, but I'm looking for a love book in English. I'm not used to read romantic things, cause the only books I've read in English were horror books (but I really loved them)... I'd like to read something else than creepy things, for once. xD

It's strange by the way, because I'm a crazy romantic girl sometimes, three years ago I started melting on a book called... Fascination / Twilight in English, not really a creepy book, right? xD

So I'm looking for a real love story, not full of vacuity like Bella and Edward have shown us (I'm already blas

Ok, thanks, I have my special Word file where I note all your propositions. xD

I've read the summary of The Notebook, that sounds really good, I note it!

I didn't know Emotional Geology, I note it too, but I don't think I'll find it easily in a bookshop in London (I don't even know if I'll have the time to search a bookshop...) but... Amazon.uk is my friend! Thank you for these two books, I'll search the summary of Emotional Geology!

Hi Sheeta and welcome.

I wrote EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY and I'm also on this forum. ;-) (Thanks Sarapepparkaka for the recommendation.)

If you have trouble getting hold of a copy of EMO GEO I still have some. (It's out of print now.)

You'll find it easier to get hold of another of my books, STAR GAZING which is also an unusual love story, also set on a Scottish island. The heroine is a blind widow. STAR GAZING was shortlisted for Romantic Novel of the Year this year and for an environmental book award.

Hope you find some good love stories! Let us know what they are. I've been trying to think of love stories that are a bit creepy and I can't think of any...

There are some great "romantic suspense" novels by Mary Stewart where the fesity heroine is often in danger. Try NINE COACHES WAITING. (It's a bit like JANE EYRE and it's set in a French chateau.)

Edited by Linda Gillard
Additional info

Hi Sheeta

You could also look up Dr Zhivago, that is a love story set against a fantastic backdrop. Or why not try a classic like Wuthering Heights, or Jane Eyre. Or perhaps Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - that is a truly great book. IMVHO.

Linda Gillard => If I can't find Emotional Geology in London, I will search on Amazon.com or another website like this one, and if I really really can't find it I'll ask you, thank you very much! I'm noting your propositions too, I didn't know these other books at all...

SueK => Daphne du Maurier? Her name sounds French, maybe I can find it easily in France. ^^ Thank you!

Dimitra => I don't know this one, but it's the second time that I hear about this book so I'm going to check this one too. xD

I really like gothic things so I'm noting this one too! I've got too much books to read now, my head is going to break out! xD

And I just checked Wuthering Heights, and I've already heard of it: in French it's Les Hauts de Hurlevent, obviously I didn't think of it when I read "Wuthering Heights" (even if it's the meaning of the title, but whatever ><). I must think about this one too. :)

Sheeta, if you want something a little bit different from the usual love stories, but something that feels 'real' then I can only confirm what has already been said here, 'Emotional Geology' and 'Star Gazing'.

Another book that gives wonderful (and not so wonderful) versions of love is Marge Piercy's 'Gone To Soldiers', set during World War Two. From Marge Piercy's website,

GONE TO SOLDIERS interweaves the stories of ten remarkable characters, characters who wage memorable and passionate public and private battles, as war casts them into their ultimate dreams and nightmares, daring them to act out their brightest and darkest fantasies.

Ah ah, French sounds good sometimes. :)

When I found that Wuthering Heights = Les Hauts de Hurlements, I thought immediately "oh, it's the book quoted in Twilight"... Not the best reference, but I have now more than one reason to think that this book must be interesting. ^o^

Chrissy => Seems cool! I'm noting it too! *God, give me 4.000 euros to buy them all xD*