Your surprise book of 2009

SueK

Of all the books on your reading lists for this year, is there one that has perhaps taken you by surprise - meaning it was better than you had anticipated?

For me, I think it has to be Sashenka. This book still haunts me even though I finished it in June and I reckon it was one of the best books I had read.

It is a lovely feeling is it not, to pick up a book that totally takes you by surprise and was a real find.:D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was Let Me Take You Down, a biography of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon. I have had the book for a couple of years. I picked it up in a bargain book shop for 50p because i collect anything to do with the Beatles and Lennon in particular. I thought the book wouldn't be that good otherwise why would it be being sold for such a small price.

After getting shifted to the bottom of the reading pile again and again i decided to give it a go and was blown away, it was fantastic.

I read mines late in the year, my surprise book was 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' by Shirley Jackson, the book was not what I was expecting at all. :D

I admire you Ned - I sold my copy of Let Me Take You Down after reading the first few pages, it upset me too much.

In other news, sorry :D I've been a bad BookJumper and read too few books this year to actually answer the original question!

I admire you Ned - I sold my copy of Let Me Take You Down after reading the first few pages, it upset me too much.

After the first chapter though which gives the common perception of Chapman as an evil man who commited a cold blooded murder etc etc you get into his life story and you start to see that this was a man who needed help because he was very mentally ill. He wanted fame and thought the way to do that was to kill Lennon and his fame would somehow transfer to him. He wasn't helped after his arrest as his arresting officers asked him for autographs and treated him like a celebrity.

It is probably A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I was wary about reading it as I didn't like or finish The Kite Runner, yet I really enjoyed it. I still find myself thinking about it. Very well written and engaging - plus haunting and sad

The one I am reading right now is by far the best (and most haunting) books I've read this year - The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I picked it up last week after seeing a preview for the movie at New Moon.

It is one of those rare books that, even though it is a tragedy, you don't feel sorry for the heroine. It's about a 14 yr old girl who is murdered and her loved ones as she watches them from her heaven as they try and cope with her death and try and find her murderer. It is one of the most well written books I've ever read.

The Book Thief. I only picked it up as I was looking for a third book in the 3 for 2 at Waterstones, and my boyfriend picked it up and said it sounded good so I got it. Then it sat on my bookshelf for months, until someone on the forum read it and said they really enjoyed it, so I decided to finally pick it up and it was one of my favourite reads this year even though I wasn't expecting to like it at all :D

For me it would have to be The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry- it was so original, so wonderfully written that it will definitely lead the list of my top 10 books this year

Hmm, this is a good topic!

I think my surprise book of the year was probably actually Dracula - I'd tried to read it so many times and disliked it that I was amazed at thoroughly enjoying it this time.

Dracula is a good choice :)

I am reading the study guide for Dracula atm, that's how much i love the novel and i ain't even studying it :D

Ooooh this is hard....I have two? Can I cheat a little and give two answers without people throwing things at me??? I'll take my chances!

The first is The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice. After reading Interview With The Vampire I was expecting The Vampire Lestat to be along the same lines but it was so different. It delves into the history of the vampire, tracing thousands of years of evolution and was really hard to get into. I almost put it down more than once but I'm so glad I didn't as it was so rewarding. My favourite book of the year without a doubt.

The second book is Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. This book totally blew me away and I didn't know what to make of it after I read it. It took a few weeks for me to decide that I actually loved it! That's never happened before :)

It had to be World War Z by Max Brooks for me. I read his only other book(The Zombie Survival Guide) and thought it was a funny and intriguing title. World War Z just blew me away though with its great journalist style and world like scope. I really felt as if this was a real war story where the entire world tells the story on how a zombie crisis happened to how the world change after the incident. This book was far from the half-hearted expectation I had buying the book but it truly was one of the best books I read all year.

Mine would have to be Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Despite all the wonderful reviews I had read, I really didn't think this book would be for me, but it was absolutely brilliant. :)

Honourable mentions go to 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse and The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Rubinrot by Kerstin Gier. It isn't translated to english yet but there will be a translation next year. It's the first part of a trilogy for children. It's about time traveling and love and it is really wonderful, something special. And it has a wonderful cover! I am totally in love with Rubinrot an looking forward to part 2, it comes out in january :)

Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. I was expecting a good book, probably a bit of an historical boys own adventure story, but what I got was a great book, with evocative descriptions and an incredible use of language. I've gone on to read the entire series (except the last one which I'm waiting to come out in paperback next year), and they've all been fantastic.

The one I am reading right now is by far the best (and most haunting) books I've read this year - The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I picked it up last week after seeing a preview for the movie at New Moon.

It is one of those rare books that, even though it is a tragedy, you don't feel sorry for the heroine. It's about a 14 yr old girl who is murdered and her loved ones as she watches them from her heaven as they try and cope with her death and try and find her murderer. It is one of the most well written books I've ever read.

I heard a friend talking about this last week, saying she really enjoyed it. It sounds great!

I would need to have 3 choices please? ;)

The first would have to be The Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver. When I read the back of it I wasn't too convinced to be honest and thought it really didn't sound that interesting. However as it was a gift and came highly recommended by Ceinwenn, I gave it my all. Boy was I surprised. I thought it was brilliant and one of the best books by Mr Deaver I've read. It, along with The Broken Window by the same author (also recommended by Ceinwenn), both started me off on my Deaver journey which so far has been most enjoyable! :D

The second book is Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. This book totally blew me away

:)Let The Right One In would definately be another fantastic surprise for me. I adored this book, again another highly recommended read from Weave. It stayed with me for weeks and still I think about it regularly, not many books have had the same affect as it has on me.

My last choice would be the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer (technically 4 books I know, but one long story ;)). They totally floored me. Absolutely unexpected. I felt like I was submerged under a blanket of emotion for the whole time it took me to read them. Thoroughly enjoyed them I'm embarrassed to say :)

For me it would have to be The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry- it was so original, so wonderfully written that it will definitely lead the list of my top 10 books this year

I enjoyed that one too, although I wouldn't say it my favourite. I am not sure if there is book that I have read this year that I have been totally surprised at. The funniest one though is undoubtedly the one I am reading at the moment - A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz. It is quite a long book at over 700 pages, so it has taken me ages to get near the end (I have about 100 pages to go), but it just gets funnier and more bizarre the more you read. You keep wondering how much stranger can it possibly get and it keeps surpassing itself !

The book which really took my by surprise this year is HArry Potter. I never wanted to read the series, because of all the Hype and advertising, but my friend lent me her copy of the first in the series, which I started on Tue, and I am already two thirds of the way through - and it is just Thurs! :)

As part of my job I read my way through many many proofs but there's been three stand-out novels this year....

Serena by Ron Rash- a dark Shakespearean-esque tale set in a logging camp in 1920's America.

Go With Me by Castle Freeman- a writer who is fit to shine Cormac McCarthy's shoes and whose use of quickfire dialogue is just stunning...

All The Living by C. E. Morgan- a beautifully paced and poignant debut from a debut novelist whose description and characterisation will leave you breathless...

The book which really took my by surprise this year is HArry Potter. I never wanted to read the series, because of all the Hype and advertising, but my friend lent me her copy of the first in the series, which I started on Tue, and I am already two thirds of the way through - and it is just Thurs! :D

Harry Potter is amazing, glad you are enjoying it ;):)