Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andorra gave 'douze points to Spain, which caused nobody a sharp intake of breath. Cyprus, of course, did the right thing to Greece, but I was wrong about Ireland, who donated eight big ones to the UK's entry, Daz Sampson.

Finland carried off the Grand Prix with a Gothic hard rock horror show, featurng a lead singer with wings and what looked like the worst case of broken veins ever seen on telelvision.

Mustn't Grumble by Terry Wogan.

Timely that isn't it? It's the eurovision song contest again this weekend! It really was my nearest book! Trust mine to have the longest sentances.

"To figure out exactly where the fuselage had broken apart, they looked at whether the passengers had been clothed or naked when pulled from the sea. Sir Harold's theory was that hitting the sea from a height of several miles would knock one's clothes off, but hitting the sea inside the largely intact tail of the plane would not, and that they could therefore surmise the point of breakup as the dividing line between the clothed and naked cadavers. For in both flights, it was the passengers determined (by checking the seating chart) to have been in the back of the plane who wound up floating in their clothes, while passengers seated forward of a certain point were found floating naked, or practically so."

Stiff - Mary Roach (morbid, isn't it? :D )

I watched Dodo wheel the youngest Conway up and down. She seemed to be doing it for my benefit. Children made me sick.

~ The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

They whisper many strange things, of the towers which rose to the sky, in those Unmentionable Times, and of the wagons which moved without horses, and of the lights which burned without flame. But those times were evil.

Anthem - Ayn Rand

• 1 month later...

I look out of the window. Behind the sunny street scene you can see the line of the hills, indistinct and pale, and it merges into a bright autumn day and I'm sitting with Kat and Albert by the fire eating baked potatoes in their jackets.

But I don't want to think about that, and I push the thought away.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

Erich Maria Remarque

'Now there was nothing but cleaning up, and soon, no-one would even imagine it had happened.

But you could smell it.

'What are you doing?'

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

"And when the wind was that way, which was often, the house was full of the stench of this sulphureous combustion of the earth's excrement. But even on windless days the air always smelt of something under-earth: sulphur, iron, coal, or acid. And even on the Christmas roses the smuts settled persistently, incredible, like black manna from skies of doom."

-Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

• 2 weeks later...

"I don't think that you understand what you are talking about taking on, Harry" he said.

The Proteus Operation by James P Hogan. I was reading this to pass time while on overnight duty in Chippenham and must say that I am rather disappointed at the amateurish handling of the concept.

"And if you know what's going on, tell the others that know what's going on not to push me."

~The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Knots of Weimar citizens stood on street corners staring in curiosity. Someone suggested it was a military exercise; no one disagreed. Manouvres happened in the military.

The Deceiver, Frederick Forsyth.

As random 5th sentences on page 123 from the nearest book go, I don't think this is to bad.. I read the book years ago. A good one like most of Frederick Forsyth's efforts.

I love this thread! :hyper:

My current book:

"For us to learn to use magic outside of the Guild's influence, we must break a law. Ambassador Dannyl has complied with this law. But he, too, laments the loss of opportunity."

The High Lord - Trudi Canavan

My husband's current book:

As if drawn by invisible strings, the heads of the wizards turned to look at it. Wizards wouldn't be wizards if they couldn't see a little way into the future. As the bead swelled and started to go pear-shaped they turned and, with a surprising turn of speed for men so wealthy in years and waistline, began to dive for the floor.

Hogfather - Terry Pratchet

From my current book (which I am oh-so-close to finishing!):

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

"'And I cannot bring myself to doubt these manifestations, for I myself have seen one.'

'Really? When?' I replied.

'Only a few months ago,' he said."

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

Wow, when I read your post angerball, I had a bizarre sort of flashback to a dream I had last night. I think I dreamt seeing this book on a shelf; is this a sign that I should go and buy it? (Any excuse to buy books!) :hyper:

'The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter - or at least, most minds are'.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling

"Bannister wants me to be his navigator in the St Pierre. I've refused. She got upset."

Wildtrack by Bernard Cornwell

Her exposed and unsupported breasts drooped; the nipple of one breast seemed larger and darker and more down-pointed than the other. Her knees were spread apart, as if she'd lost all sensation in her legs - or else she'd broken her pelvis.

A Widow for One Year - John Irving

(That was a surprise! He's talking about nude portraits. This is a description of one of the later ones of a particular woman. I've not read the book yet - could be interesting!)

They quickened their pace, without much visible effect, when lo! their quarry was brought to a standstill by two gentlemen coming downwards, who encountered and stopped him.

"Now let us go more slowly, sir," suggested Alison, dragging at her father's arm. To which Mr Grant, complying, said: "My dear, to be alternately a greyhound and a snail is hard upon a man of my years, nor do I understand why you should be stalking Ardroy in this fashion."

The Jacobite Triliogy by D K Broster

Three new books to have a look at - I'm looking forward to it!

"Suddenly every stranger knows my name. Would you guys please just quit knowing my name for one second? How can a girl be enigmatic under these conditions?"

THE LONG DARK TEA-TIME OF THE SOUL

Douglas Adams

So, foraging through the headmaster's desk one afternoon I had happened upon a list which called itself Eleven Plus results, listing Intelligence Quotient Results or some such guff. I noticed it because my name was at the top wih an asterisk typed next to it and the words 'Approaching genius' added in brackets. Cromie, the headmaster had underlined it in his blue-black ink ad scrawled, 'Well that bloody explains everything...'

MOAB IS MY WASHPOT

Stephen Fry

"She's great, isn't she?" said Ron admiringly. "Always good value."

But the smile vanished from his face at once: Viktor Krum had dropped into Luna's vacant seat.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

'No. He isn't extraordinary. He is simply a man and no more, and is subject to all the fears and all the cowardice and all the timidity that any other man is subject to.'

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Ken Kesey

• 2 weeks later...