Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

"I have always found it difficult to loosen my grip of the letter suspended above the abysmal chink. It is like diving into icy water or jumping from a burning balcony into what looks like the heart of an artichoke, and now it was particularly hard to let go. I gulped, I felt a queer sinking in the pit of my stomach; and still holding the letter, I proceeded down the street and stopped at the next letter box, where the same thing happened all over again."

Despair by Vladimir Nabokov

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looked up at Atrus, his pale eyes fixing his son.

"You have spent six weeks now, learning how to copy a number of basic D'ni words and have discovered just how complex and beautiful a script is. But those characters also mean something, Atrus."

The Myst Reader: The Book of Atrus

Rand & Robyn Miller

"Ned knew that she and a young man had begun courting, and he believed her tears must have resulted from something he had said or done. Possibly the two had been "indiscreet", although he did not think Gertrude capable of so drastic a moral lapse. The more he pressed her for an explination, the more trouble and adamant she became"

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Now," she was saying in a heavy German accent, "vee hev extracted ze eyeballs! I shall allow each of you a short time to examine zem. Please pass zem to your neighbour promptly ven you hev finished."

~ Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller (it's worth mentioning, it's at a kids' party!)

'In fact it is brown. Andy had said nothing. He turned and walked away'

Makes you wonder what that was all about....:smile2: will have to read on to find out....lol:lol: (ok it seems they were talking about hair colour :lol: )

Secrets of a Family Album - Isla Dewar

DAY 38: November 1

At breakfast the captain announces that the Susak will pick up the Singapore pilot at 11 tonight, and will be in berth by midnight. 310 containers will be unloaded and 150 loaded. Departure from Singapore will be 3 p.m. tomorrow.

Around the World in 80 Days

Michael Palin

He had black eyebrows, silver gold hair, dark blue eyes. I thought, Oh, what a man you are going to be, then remembered that women shouldn't think like this anymore. But perhaps I'm old enough to admit to taking unquenchable pleasure in men.

'There's some museli,' said the future heart-stopper, if you're hungry.'

From 'The Queen of the Tambourine' by Jane Gardam.

He did not fancy sleeping in it. It looked cold, and hard. But it was probably better than just lying down on the rock, he thought, as he ruefully watched the soldier swing easily up the cliff and arrive at the hole.

Castle in The Air by Diana Wynne Jones:readingtwo:

(Zaphod speaking)

"I put the two ideas together and decided that maybe that somebody had locked off part of my mind for that purpose, which was why I couldn't use it. I wondered if there was a way I could check. I went to the ship's medical bay and plugged myself into the encephelographic screen"

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas Adams

After a while he got dangerously bored with this train of thought, felt the air slipping away beneath him, felt that he was drifting down into the paths of the bouncing boulders that he was trying so hard not to think about, so he thought about Athens airport for a bit and that kept him usefully annoyed for about five minutes - at the end of which he was startled to discover that he was now floating about two hundred yards above the ground.

He wondered for a moment how he was going to get back down to it, but instantly shied away from that area of speculation again, and tried to look at the situation steadily.

He was flying.

Life, the Universe and Everything

Douglas Adams

OK, I spotted this on a blog & thought it might be fun:

Grab the nearest book.

Open the book to page 123.

Find the fifth sentence.

Post the text of the next 3 sentences in a reply here, along with the title & author of the book

Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

Hi Kell, Here you go!

His voice was low and serious. Just the facts, ma'am. He was a full four inches shorter than Dominick, and Dominick could see the top of his head, where the hair was beginning to thin and his pasty white scalp peeked through.

Retribution by Julianne Hoffman - G.P. Putnam & Sons, NY, USA copyright 2004

"The Met Office is going ice-cold thick banana whips, and funny little men in white coats are flying in from all over the world with their little rulers and boxes and drip feeds. This man is the bee's knees, Arthur, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world."

SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

Douglas Adams

He told me his brother had gone away travelling some-where, and I said by the way you really do look very much like him.

He said I should think so too we're twins and I said oh I didn't realise.

He said what so he didn't ever tell you about me? and he seemed surprised.

Page 123,..

'if nobody speaks of remarkable things' by jon mcgregor

Wabbit xx :blush:

"The Met Office is going ice-cold thick banana whips, and funny little men in white coats are flying in from all over the world with their little rulers and boxes and drip feeds. This man is the bee's knees, Arthur, he is the wasp's nipples. He is, I would go so far as to say, the entire set of erogenous zones of every major flying insect of the Western world."

SO LONG, AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

Douglas Adams

That sounds hilarious Liz :blush:

For every sandwich the size and shape of the trimmings were different, but the Sandwich Maker would always effortlessly and without hesitation assemble them into a pattern which fitted perfectly. A second layer of meat and a second layer of trimmings, and the main act of creation would be accomplished. The Sandwich Maker would pass what he had made to his assitant who would then add a few slices of newcumber and fladish and a touch of splagberry sauce, and then apply the topmost layer of bread and cut the sandwich with a fourth and altogether plainer knife.

Mostly Harmless

Douglas Adams

"... How's it going, pixie? Feeling better?"

A fresh wave of rage washes over me, breaking the celebratory mood I've enjoyed for most of the evening.

~ The Nanny Diaries by Nicola Kraus & Emma McLaughlin.

The Vietnamese, however, have a very strong concept of order in the natural world. A few miles south of Da Nang are the Marble Mountains, which rise short, sharp and sheer from the flat, flooded fields around them. Each one, they believe, represents a different element - Wood, Fire, Metal, Earth and Water.

FULL CIRCLE

Michael Palin