The Flying Troutmans by Mirian Toews

Guest ii

So, to answer ii's question

(1) The style - I found it very readable and easy, and at times I was quite fond of the lack of quotation marks, trying to determine whether it was internal reminescence or externally, talking to the children and getting them to understand what was going on.

(2) Hattie - seemed entirely plausible to me. Useless, dippy, hippyish, running off to Paris given the chance, totally incapable of dealing with children. That actually seems to me to be mostly normal. Perhaps there were a couple of times when she went pursuing the odd men along the way that were unlikely, given that they weren't on the road for very long she might have been a bit more focussed. But that's really about it.

(3) The beginning actually didn't grab me much at all. It was a bit like the beginning of Love Actually, the scene at the airport where the family comes together. It kind of just washed past, and I wanted to get onto the bit of the book where stuff happened.

Hi everyone. Hope you don't mind me contributing to the discussion. My first 'delve' into the Reading Circle...so bare with me!!

Ok..here goes...

1. Toews' wrighting style.

I found it easy to follow and well paced. I enjoyed the dialogue heavy style of the novel- no breaks or quotation marks- added a feeling of 'continuous motion' for me, almost like the car journey itself.

2. How did you find Hattie?

I'm a bit torn on this question. On one level I agree with some remarks on here already stated; totally unresponsible, immature, self-absorbed with no idea how to care for kids! In the 'ideal' and 'real' world, Hattie would have stayed put, took responsibility fro the kids, gotten the kids,(and social services!) onside, and shown some maturity and insight intot he issues faced by herself and her sisters' family.....but then, that's a whole different novel!!

In terms of the plot the author chooses to follow, however, - with Hattie totally clueless, and totally unprepared fror the responsibility of the kids, I thought Hattie's character, faults and all, was pretty well drawn!!

3. Hattie and Min's relationship?

I felt that Hattie's entire relationship and feelings towards Min had been totally coloured by the childhood swimming incident resulting in their father's death. In 'Hattie's' memory, we are shown Min attempting to kill her, but where's the evidence?? The two girls both go for a swim...they both get into trouble...Min panick's and clambers onto her sister...a malicious attempt to kill, or merely a larger, young girl panicking and afraid?? From then on, Hattie feels she is unsafe around Min- that Min's out to get her, waiting for a 'Knife in the night',- that Hattie admits never happens. I felt Hattie used this 'fear' of her sister as an excuse to disassociate herself, and as a valid excuse for her own negative feelings towards Min.

Towards the end of the novel, Hattie admits that Min has told her that 'she' is the one person she truly loves, therefore making Hattie realise, perhaps, that the negative feelings between them have primarily been Hatties.....not Min's??

4. Anything else?

Might upset a few people here, but I'm afraid I must agree with Freewheeling andy here, when I say my least favourite character in the novel is Thebes! (Sorry!!)

By the end of the novel, she just annoyed me!! Every line of dialogue given to her was either 'cutesy', 'comic', 'quasi-philosophical' or 'poignant'. By the end, I just wanted her to say something normal and benign like..."Hey, aunt Hattie. I need a wee...". Simple! But no! Instead, I would probably have read...."I need to empty myself of this useless wastage of life....", well....you get my drift!!(My own personal view, of course!)

The one character I really liked, however, was Logan. The 'only' character within the entire novel who really 'gets' the mess they are all facing! He spends the entire story under no allusions as to his aunt's motive for the road trip,i.e., looking for a way out for herself. Also, that the father stepping in is a long shot- therefore, the future of his family may ultimately fall into his hands. A lot for a kid to deal with! I totally got the mood swings/ silences, and found his character the most believable.

Finally, Hattie steps up to the plate and takes that responsibility from him, but I was left with the feeling that Logan may have been a far better choice in the end!!

In summary then....

Not usually the kind of novel I read, so a nice change. An easy read, with an enjoyable enough plot, but, if the author was hoping to instill a feeling of life-affirming change, or a maturing of characters, then it misses the mark for me, I'm afraid.

Edited by northernnutter