Gravity's Rainbow/Thomas Pynchon

Los Ping

I tried reading this book after reading one of Pynchon's short stories (entropy) and loving every word of it. Rainbow went right over my head on the first read because I wasn't ready for his crazy style. I've heard that his other books have to be read before someone should tackle Gravity's Rainbow. Is this true and what other books of his should I read then?

: D

I've not read Gravity's Rainbow. All I've read are Mason&Dixon and Vineland. Both are completely and utterly barking mad; also supremely intelligent; also incredibly dense and take a lot of reading. Vineland I wasn't fully convinced by, but I thought Mason&Dixon was magically brilliant, even if it did take something like 3 or 4 months to read. Both took an awful lot of getting in to. So, from what you're saying, I'm not sure they'd be much easier, style-wise, than Gravity's Rainbow.

I guess Vineland is easier, but it's a substantially less good book.

The only other Pynchon book that may have a reputation as being readable is V. At least, it's often the most recommended.