'The Alchemmaster's apprentice' Walter Moers

sirinrob

This is the latest volume in the Zamonia series. As with the rest in this series it is a standalone book, however there are back references to 'Rumo and his miraculous adventures' and 'The city of dreaming books'. If you have read either then your enjoyment of this novel will in my view be enhanced.

Unlike the rest of the series, this work is set in one place - Malaisea - the most unhealthy town in Zamonia. It is domineered over by Ghoolion, an evil alchemists who likes nothing better than to cause the inhabitants untold misery with disease and general nastiness. By chance he finds Echo one day, who is abandoned and very hungry. Ghoolion befriends Echo, but at a price. In return for feeding him and looking after him, Echo will be killed at the next full moon and his fat extracted, for which purpose the novel reveals

Now Echo is a Crat - physically looks like a cat, acts like a cat but with the ability to talk. Various adventures ensue in Ghoolion's castle with often hilarious results. There is the usual playfulness, wordplay and inventiveness. Alchemy becomes coupled with the culinary arts - the wine tasting episode is very funny for instance. Plenty of interesting characters - a talking owl with a speech impediment, an Uggly who is besotted with Ghoolion, Cogitating Eggs and ghosts of various types.

The writing this time round is tighter than before and I found the work subtler than the previous books in the series. There is a satirical streak as well added to the mix. I really enjoyed this - reread list

Edited by sirinrob