Philippa Gregory - Wideacre

Sarahrob

Wideacre Hall, set in the heart of the English countryside, is the ancestral home that Beatrice Lacey loves. But as a woman of the 18th century, she has no right of inheritance. Corrupted by a world that mistreats women, she sets out to corrupt others.

At five years old, Beatrice is taught that she can never inherit the land she loves as it will pass to her brother, even though he appears to care little for the estate. Her response is "If it was the way of the world that girls left home and sons inherited, then the world would have to change. I would never change."

This sets the tone for the entire novel, as Beatrice plots and schemes to be squire of the land she loves, no matter what the cost is. Those schemes become increasingly outrageous (and considering they start with a murder conspiracy that is no mean feat!).

Beatrice is a fascinating character. There are shades of Catherine Earnshaw and Scarlett O

Wideacre is far from the other more genteel novels that Gregory writes. The destruction that occurs as a result of gender inequality in this book is far reaching. It is impossible to like Beatrice - her evilness knows no bounds.

I truly felt sorry for the villagers that suffered as a result of her greed

See, i don't mind not liking the main character, so long as there's enough there to make me really dislike them - enough to make me feel strongly one way or another, rather than apathetic. I definitely think I'll be giving this one a try. :)

It is impossible to like Beatrice - her evilness knows no bounds.

I truly felt sorry for the villagers that suffered as a result of her greed

I liked Beatrice at the start of the book, but I felt deeply sorry for her and everything she went through. Every time she hatched a new plan I found myself thinking "Nooo, don't do that! Turn back!".

Although the villagers got a tough deal, I remember studying this period as part of an Economic History course, and there is nothing she did that three quarters of other landlords didn't do. Well, nothing she did to the village, at any rate! :)

Enclosure was probably the worst thing for the tenants, but at that time it was seen as essential for the survival of most estates.

Hope you enjoy it Michelle. As you can probably tell, I loved it! :(

• 2 years later...

I just finished this. I liked the story, although

the death of Harry at the last page

was a bit too conveniently 'packaging the ending nicely' in my opinion. I shall be reading the other books in the Trilogy - my curiousity is piqued now, and I want to know which of the children has inherited Beatrice's ruthless character and determination....and perhaps something else about the Culler..

Edited by Maureen

I loved Wideacre, it kept me enthralled all the way through, imagining what new lengths Beatrice will go through to get what she wants. Although admitedly i did think after all the detail that went into the story itself it was wrapped up a bit too quickly.

Am not sure how i feel about the series though it seems a bit too 'Virginia Andrews' for my liking. (not that there is anything wrong with Virginia Andrews i just could never take to them)

Although if anyone has read the series and feels that they can sway me i would be more than happy to acquiesce.

• 7 months later...

I recently read both Wideacre and the following novel, The Favoured Child and loved both immensely. I had bought the third, Meridon and read it some time ago not realizing it was part of a trilogy but thoroughly enjoyed that one as well. These books are all so gripping and at points horrifying but the author writes in a such a way that you can't put them down. If you don't mind your books a little on the darker side I would definitely recommend this series.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish Philippa Gregory would write another series like this instead of constantly writing this Tudor court etc stuff which I am bored of. This series is far more exciting! If anyone knows of anything in a similar vein by another author please post here!!

I really enjoyed this book when I read it a couple of years ago, I even bought The Favoured Child to read but never got round to it. Think that I had better go and put both on my TBR pile now :D

• 1 year later...

I waited until I had all three books and a relatively short to be read pile before starting this as I love Philippa Gregory and was sure that I would want to read them one straight after the other. It didn't work out that way I started reading it in 2009 read the first third ok really struggled with the second third and then didn't read any at all in 2010 forced myself to finish it this year by promising myself that I would read 10 pages every night just to get it finished. I did finally pick up the pace again and sort of enjoyed it at the end but I am in no hurry to read the next two (although I will I promise. I read The Wise Woman before this one and adored that I just don't know why I couldn't get into this one. I like Beatrice at the beginning I didn't have a problem with her ruthless ways in fact I enjoyed finding out how she was going to get out of her next situation. The only thing I can think off that really put me off was the length of it and the unnecessary descriptions of emotions, I seem to remember Beatrice angrily rode her horse across the fields for three whole pages at one point. I am not the sort of person who can skip a few pages here and there. Overall I think I would have to give it 6/10.

• 6 months later...

I am currently reading the first of these 3 books, and I must say I am both intrigued and a little horrified by the book. It's almost like a car accident... You are pretty sure you want to stop watcing, but you just can't!

The book hooks you, and I can recomend it!

• 10 months later...

I've just finished all three of these books and they are just fantastic. They aren't Philippa Gregory's usual style and they have made a nice change from the Tudor stories she tells (which I also love). The main characters in all three books have a bit of "love them or hate them" about them. Whilst Beatrice did some abhorrant things, I couldn't help but admire her attitude to change generations of belief to suit her needs. I loved the way she challenged society and, for the most part, won.

I agree wholeheartedly with previous comments that Gregory should write more like this. Whilst I love her more popular royal court stories, these are something else entirely.

• 9 months later...