• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Inver

Rugby

So here we are again...that time of year for 6 nations....may the best teams win! (will it be us... :giggle2: , in my dreams maybe)!

I have to that, that was a pretty convincing win from England, surprisingly so. Scotland can take some positives from the game though. When they got some decent possession put together some great play and some of the ball handling was top drawer. The way Farrell is kicking at the moment you just can't afford to give England too many penalties within kicking distance.

Wasn't a great start from us either (Welshie!) but we can take positives from the second half - it was a great fight back. Ireland will need to watch their discipline - you don't win the six nations with two people in the bin per game!

Wow....well done Italy. By the way they were celebrating you would think they had won the 6 nations! :D

Ya beauty....well done today Scotland...playing more like they used all those years ago... :doowapstart:

Anyone looking forward to England vs France tomorrow?

Its always my favourite match up of the six nations. I don't why they seem to play with an added spark. Plus i love screaming at the TV. Its those times my Dads grateful he cant take his hearing aid out.

Npe..but looking forward to the Ireland v Scotland

So we have won two in a row...unbelievable!

:P  @ Ben

Last games this weekend! My nails will be bitten all the way down by the end of England V Wales!

Fantastic...well done Wales.....now a win for Scotland would be good ;)

God that was a horrible game to watch. Deserved win by Wales, England were pitiful! I was not a happy bunny.

British Lions off to a good start with two mega wins. Wonder how they will fare when the big matches start though!

Another win yesterday...Lions are having a good tour.

Not sure how we scraped that game yesterday.. thankful for that hideous kicking at the end.

Wow...what a fantastic win for the 'Lions' today...well done guys.

A great win - and good to see Warren Gatland's team selection totally vindicated. Apart from the anxious spell for a few minutes either side of half time, they were utterly dominant - incredible stuff! :D

In football, when a shot goes way above goal, locals usually say "three points to Wales". Only now it occurred to me it might be a reference to rugby. It's kind of weird, because in the list of known and practiced sports, I have the idea rugby sits near the bottom. Does any of you know this expression?

Also, congratulations to Ireland, Australia and Toulon.

Edited by woolf woolf

I'm watching my first match this world cup, England versus Wales, currently 22-18 with seventeen minutes to go. Scott Williams injured, the commentators said the welsh team is plagued by injuries.

That was a magnificent kick!   Dan Bigger, that was amazing!  

Woolf, you picked a great game as your first one! 

I was expecting it to be rubbish cos of all the hype but it's been really good.  Best game of the Cup so far.  And that's saying something considering what Japan did to South Africa.

It was a fun game to watch. Both teams showed a lot of heart, those final minutes were breathtaking. The assist in Wales' try was great.

Edited by woolf woolf