From Whitewashed Stairs to Heaven

PHH707102

Not much help, The only info I've found on this book so far, .......

'Updated With Two Extra Chapters - Maureen McKenna was an alcoholic about to have an amazing turn-around. She met Hugh at Alcoholics Anonymous, was miraculously prevented from committing suicide and became a Christian. Hugh and Maureen married and worked with street people in Glasgow but, realising that people needed more than food and clothes, they set up 'Open Door Trust Glasgow'. Sadly, after only five years, Maureen developed cancer and died after a short illness. Hugh continues in the work. The only reward Maureen wanted was in heaven but shortly before she died she was honoured as 'Scotswoman of the Year.'

will keep my eyes open :shock:

Wabbit x :wave:

Gong by results on search engines, it seems to be mentioned more on Christian-based sites. What little I've read about it reminds me of those films we used to see in Religious Studies classes abot people who have suffered an addiction & then found God. I found this:

Description

A promising national swimmer, Maureen McKenna, has to stop the sport she loves on medical grounds. Distraught, she kicks back at the world that has betrayed her. If the world had let her down then she was determined to beat it into submission and win out on her own terms.

A combination of commercial acumen and problem drinking saw this business high flier soar and crash - repeatedly. The cycle couldn't continue and Maureen became an alcoholic and involved in an abusive relationship that lasted 12 years. The world had won, again.

Without hope, aged 33, she joined Alcoholics Anonymous as a last resort and met a young man who told her about a surer kind of hope, one founded on faith. She listened but was still determined to do away with what she considered was her worthless life. Just as she was about to throw herself in front of traffic on a busy road, she felt a hand on her shoulder, physically restraining her from stepping off of the kerb. When she looked around, there was no one there. She phoned the young man she had recently met and became a Christian that day.

Maureen and Hugh (for that was the young man's name) later married and worked full time with homeless people, prostitutes and addicts in the streets of Glasgow. After 12 years they decided that the people that they met needed more than food and clothes, they needed a saviour to break the cycle of deprivation. In 1998 they set up Open Door Trust Glasgow.

Read about this amazing work in the urban underclass, a work that will challenge your pre-conceptions and move your heart with compassion. Share Maureen and Hugh's vision of service to making a change in the lives of those whom the world passes by.

About Irene Howat

Irene Howat is an accomplished children's and adults writer and has many titles to her name. She is married to a minister and they have a grown up family. She is also a talented artist and lives in Argyle, Scotland. She especially enjoys letters from children and replies to all of them!

Can I just quickly say, that if anyone reading this or anything else (or not from reading), who does not know the Christian faith well (this is not a plug), has any questions or wonderings at all, I would be happy for you to IM me.

As I say this is not a plug for me to start ranting like an evangelist, and I am not assuming that I know everything, or that you all do not. I do not know you all so how can it be? I am merely a Christian with a passion for God, and a lot of experience of the religious world from being a Christian and also studying religion (which means I know things about other religions to), offering the loving hand of God to any who need, for any reason.

I am afraid that this does sound preachy and wierd, but it is honestly not meant that way!

Icecream,

Have you read these... :shock:

They went round and round my Office awhile back, and most went on to get their own copy to keep :)

This Present Darkness & Piercing the Darkness

by Frank Peretti

BOTH Fantastic reads... I really Can't find the words to say how exciting these books are so taken this ...

from Amazon Reviews ....

If you think that Christians are a bunch of boring old stiffs in huge, ancient buildings, with an old dude in a skirt prattling on at the front - think again!............

Though fiction, this book is pretty much what life is like for me, with the exception that sometimes it isnt just the angels doing all the fighting. Not only does the narrative explore an active Christian's faith in a breathtakingly exciting way, it also makes for an excellent read. As soon as I picked it up, I was thrown into the deep end as the whole thing opens like a small snowball making its way towards the edge of the cliff - with an avalanche being the result! ....

These two titles really gripped the imagination and challenged the spirit. It is the clever intertwining of the personal and troubled lives of the inhabitants of a small town with the cosmic battle between angels and demons that leaves the heart racing and the mind spinning. A definate must read can't put down blockbuster that will make you look at the world around you in a completely different way, but remember; it's only fiction.........or is it?

As the storyline hurtles towards the end, you're suddenly gripped by the reality of it all; as if it was happening around you in your own room.

Wabbit x :wave:

• 3 weeks later...