Victorian Mysteries~ Any Suggestions?

Anika

I'm a huge fan of Victorian mysteries and I'm eager to read more of these.

Can anyone suggest books similar to 'Woman In White' by Wilkie Collins or the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle?

I prefer stories that take place in England or Scotland, and it would be a plus if the author came from there, as well.

I don't mind if the author lived during that time or is a contemporary writer-- I recently read 'Kept' by D.J. Taylor and LOVED it! There are many similarities to this book and 'Woman In White', actually, and I'm hooked on these kinds of stories!

Thanks!! :D

You could try....

'The Incendiary's Tale'-James McCreet

'The Alchemy of Murder'- Carol McCleary

'Walking In Pimlico'- Ann Featherstone

'The Secrets of the Lazarus Club'- Tony Pollard

'Lady Audley's Secret'- Mary Elizabeth Braddon

'Wylder's Hand' - Sheridan Le Fanu

Andrew Pepper's Pyke mystery series

David Pirie's series featuring Arthur Conan Doyle

Any by Lee or L.M Jackson who also has the finest Victorian website on the web...

Also can highly recommend two 'fiction' books in a similar vein to 'Kept'- Michel Faber's 'The Crimson Petal and The White' and Michael Cox' 'The Meaning of Night' both brilliantly written with elements of mystery and intrigue...

Enjoy!:D

Edited by Mysterioso

:DTHANKS so much for the list, Mysterioso!! (cool name, by the way!) I appreciate your response!

I will definitely check these out right away, especially the Lee Jackson website. I've just finished reading, The Meaning of Night and agree with you that it's brilliant! I'm going to get his sequel, The Glass of Time next. (I think that's the title?)

You could also try one of the many novels written about Jack the Ripper. I would also recommend the books by Caleb Carr. He writes mysteries that take place in New York City during the Victorian Age.

You could also try one of the many novels written about Jack the Ripper. I would also recommend the books by Caleb Carr. He writes mysteries that take place in New York City during the Victorian Age.

Caleb Carr's book are very good. He came to my notice as he wrote a book called the Italian Secretary which was a Sherlock Holmes mystery and I though he captured Holmes and Watson extremely well. Well worth reading!:)

A truly excellent novel to have a go at is The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber (spelling is correct). It is a wonderfully absorbing book from a very gifted author.

I think some of the guys on here have enjoyed it, too. :)

:lol:THANKS so much for the list, Mysterioso!! (cool name, by the way!) I appreciate your response!

I will definitely check these out right away, especially the Lee Jackson website. I've just finished reading, The Meaning of Night and agree with you that it's brilliant! I'm going to get his sequel, The Glass of Time next. (I think that's the title?)

Thanks Anika- happy to help! And yes, 'The Glass of Time' is a great read as well:D