Books as Christmas presents

Well it also depends on what sort of genres he might be into. It isn't just a case of liking books or not, when you start out it's important to work out what's right for you. Maybe base it on the sorts of tv/movie genres he likes? Does he like horrors, thrillers, true stories, fantasy, sci-fi etc, and go from there.

He may like decorative things and illustrations but the heart of any book is it's story, so that's kind of what's most important.

Perhaps he'd like an illustrated novel such as those by Brom? The Plucker, The Devil's Rose and The Child Thief are all available and are beautiful - very artisitc - as well as being very well written (I've read the first too and have the third one on my Xmas wish list). The art in them is very dark and forboding, but absolutely exquisite.

There is a book called Unseen Cobain by Charles Cross. It is a kind of scrapbook kind of thing about Kurt Cobain with lots of little pull out things. Also Bob Dylan Scrapbook is along the same lines, they are a little expensive though, i think i paid

Perhaps he'd like an illustrated novel such as those by Brom? The Plucker, The Devil's Rose and The Child Thief are all available and are beautiful - very artisitc - as well as being very well written (I've read the first too and have the third one on my Xmas wish list). The art in them is very dark and forboding, but absolutely exquisite.

quick question do the Brom books lurk under graphic of fantasy - been searching for ages in bookshops and most staff look puzzled when I ask. Yes I can order off amazon but rather have a look see physically as well before buying. Sounds like Walter Moers but darker, think I will enjoy.

They can usually be found in the graphic novel section of book shops or they can be ordered online. I discovered Brom by sheer chance in the local library - THe Plucker was face-out on the graphic novel shelf and it looked so beautiful I couldn't resist taking it out - and I don't usually go for graphic novels!