'Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures' Walter Moers

sirinrob

Having read 'The City of Dreaming Books' by the same author and really enjoying his style, I thought I'd read this novel, which is the second one in the Zamonia series. This is a stand alone novel, which concerns the adventures of Rumo, who is a Wolperting - think of a cross between a dog and a deer. Wolpertings are by nature warriors, so fighting is second nature to them, hence the episodes of 'blood and gore' in the novel.

The novel starts with Rumo as a pup. He gets captured along with the dwarves who look after him. During his captivity he meets up with Zolostran Smyke who teaches him to speak and helps in his escape. After some, at times bizarre, adventures they part. Rumo finds his home city, learns what it means to be a Wolperting and falls in love and gains a sword which rejoices in the name of 'Dandelion'. At one point Rumo goes off to seek a token of love - a dangerous task as it turns out. Whilst he is gone his home city is 'attacked' and everyone there taken captive and taken into the Netherworld. Once he discovers they have all gone he sets out to rescue them. In parallel Smyke is also captured. After many adventures, mishaps, odd conversations Rumo finds where everybody is and helps release them.

The short synopsis I've given is deliberatly vague so as not to spoil the fun. There are many plot twists and turns, lots of humour - even in the battle scenes. The list of characters includes Nocturomaths, a mad King, a talking tree, mechanical warriors lead by General Tick Tock amongst others.

I enjoyed this as a fanatasy novel - its chock full of inventiveness and humour. There is a slightly flat part about 2/3 of the way through, which acts as a breather and provides explanation as to what has happened and what is to come. The last 150 pages are hectic - here the author uses a cut scene technique that heightens the tension well right to the end of the novel.

Something I noticed is that there are sly references throughout the novel to the Norse legends which dont seem to be commented on in reviews, but which I found interesting. There is also an allusion to 'The Scottish' play as well.

Underlying the novel weighty issues like life, death, love, good and evil are explored to a certain degree as well, without overwhelming the plot.

Great review, sirinrob. I came across the character Rumo towards the end of The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, and wondered if it was the same character...and it is! I also recognise Smyke, who I enjoyed in Captain Bluebear, so I will definitely be buying this book at some point! :D