Times Best 100 books of the decade

Ravenwood

Sorry I forgot that 'grown-ups' read HP- I always view it as an averagely written kid's book so would question the inclusion of it on this list like 'Twilight' and 'The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night Time' which are also teenage books....

I don't see why books should be excluded because they are aimed at children. Some of the best books I've ever read have been children's books. Maybe they aren't especially sophisticated, at least in the way they're written, but that doesn't mean they can't carry weight.

I am a bit of a Harry Potter nut, and well I don't think that the writing itself is the best writing- probably just average, I think the way the story progresses with clues throughout the books, and some of the research JK put into things does give it something extra.

Okay, this is embarrassing. I've only read 2 of these books all the way through, and they are two that I don't believe belong on this list: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and The Da Vinci Code. I don't pay attention to bestseller lists or the New York Times book reviews. I tend to read books in my own time. I tried reading Atonement, but started hating it right away, and I'm part way through Suite Francaise, but it's lower down on my reading list at this point.

I think that this list was pretty sloppily made. It seems to be a mixture of books that were critically acclaimed, like The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and books that were simply popular, like Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, Twilight, and others. These popular books, in my opinion, shouldn't make a list like this. They're not particularly well-written and they're honestly mediocre. They can't compare to the talent and the creativity that goes into a work of literature that is destined to become a classic, something that will hold its own against the ages.

• 9 months later...