The Collected Letters of....

Anika

Does anyone else enjoy reading published letter collections? :)

I'm always looking for new ones since I am a firm adherent to the 'lost art of letter writing'.

Some that I really like are:

* Letters of E.B White~edited by Dorothy Lobrano Guth

* For Your Eyes Alone: Robertson Davies~edited by Judith Skelton Grant

* Love Letters; An Anthology~chosen by Antonia Fraser

* How They Said It; wise & witty letters from the famous and infamous~Rosalie Maggio

* Letters of Virginia Woolf~edited by Nicholson/Trautman

Can you tell me about the ones you've read-- or would maybe like to read?

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on purchasing the collected letters of Oscar Wilde at some point. He seems like an interesting enough guy for me to part with my money for :D

Yes! He's very interesting. Look for the BIO by Richard Ellmann. I read it a few years ago, and it's really good! :lol:

Yes! He's very interesting. Look for the BIO by Richard Ellmann. I read it a few years ago, and it's really good!
[Please forgive the obnoxious, spoil-sporting English Lit graduate :D she can't help it]:

It is also full of errors, apparently; while writing my dissertation I even came across a (fairly chunky) book which listed and set straight each of Ellmann's errors in page order...!

[Please forgive the obnoxious, spoil-sporting English Lit graduate :lol: she can't help it]:

It is also full of errors, apparently; while writing my dissertation I even came across a (fairly chunky) book which listed and set straight each of Ellmann's errors in page order...!

No problem! :) I'm glad for the clarification!

Do you remember the name of the 'chunky' book? I'd really like to read it!

Like I said, it was years ago when I read this BIO, so I'm wondering if it has been up-dated/corrected--? (Or yanked off the shelves, as it should be, if it's not accurate.) Did many people in the academic world complain about it?

Gosh, you'd think the editors would have verified the text before printing it. I'm ignorant about publishing, but do they usually just take someone's word for the facts? I know they have to cite references and such, but does anyone follow up on these?

Thanks for drawing this to my attention! That'll teach me not to assume someone is 100% right just because they've managed to publish something. :D

(my dissertation was on Shakespeare, so the chapter on Wilde was me going off a slight tangent... :D!).

Glad to have helped, I was rather worried I'd get shooed off the thread for nitpicking :)!

:( Not at all! I'm always grateful to be informed, if someone has information I don't know about. Education comes in many forms. Thanks for such a thorough reply, too! I'm going to try to locate that book.

Just out of curiosity--how was your dissertation received? I mean, how did you relate Wilde to Shakespeare, because I could sit down and think my head off all day and not come up with a correlation. :D (Ha ha.) Was it to do with the errors in the biography?

Just out of curiosity--how was your dissertation received? I mean, how did you relate Wilde to Shakespeare, because I could sit down and think my head off all day and not come up with a correlation.
The first (how my dissertation was received) is a question I don't have an answer for, it hasn't come back to me marked yet - for all I know I might not even have passed:lurker:! As for the correlation:

My dissertation was on translating the Sonnets, and obviously as a translator I had to look at Shakespeare criticism; I argued in my tangent that a creative individual such as a translator would best be served by fictional but passionate accounts of the truth behind the Sonnets rather than plausible but sterile criticism.

One such account is Wilde's short story The Portrait of Mr W.H., which casts the fair youth of the Sonnets not as the traditional wealthy patron but as a beautiful boy actor from Shakespeare's theatre company, i.e. the one he rendered immortal in parts such as Viola and Cleopatra.

My dissertation was on translating the Sonnets, and obviously as a translator I had to look at Shakespeare criticism; I argued in my tangent that a creative individual such as a translator would best be served by fictional but passionate accounts of the truth behind the Sonnets rather than plausible but sterile criticism.

That's a really good idea! :D Hope it comes back with a good mark on it!!

I only have two collections of letters in my possession, but considering my love of both authors it will hardly come as a shock. Tolkien's and Austen's. Both collections make for extremely interesting reading.

Unfortunately, so many letters of Tolkien's were uncovered in the making of The Letters of JRR Tolkien that they intentionally omitted any which did not have some reference to his writing, and many of these were cut to include only the passages referring to writing. It would have been nice to further read his letters to Edith, his wife, during their courtship. Mainly because I am a very nosy parker.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a collection of Oscar Wilde's the other day - not the complete collection, which I will buy when I have the money, but it's a selection picked by his grandson which he thinks best represents him in short. I've never read a letter collection before but it's a real insight to the character of the person out of the spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...
I would some day like to read any letters Jane Austen has written. Apparently there's a book on her letters to her sister Cassandra and others, and as a matter of fact you can read them here . Wow, didn't expect to find them so quickly :kissing:

I've read them and enjoyed them .. but as Cassandra destroyed all that were too personal or revealing (and rightly so), you end up not knowing much more than you did before especially if you've read her biogs. However it is still lovely to read her actual words and get a better insight into what life was like for her.

The Mitford letters 'Letters between Six Sisters' are fascinating too .. full of wit, humour, outrage, tragedy and deception. The relationship between Unity and Decca being particularly intriguing.

I've never been interested in reading letter collections. but I sometimes listen to BBC7 online because they have book readings and dramas etc.

last year they had readings of letters from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to his mother. I listened because it was a novelty and it does give you a bit of an insight into their lives outside the books they write.

I've enjoyed reading Love Letters of Great Men and Women: From The Eighteenth Century To The Present Day by C. H. Charles.

I was going to recommend this. It's been on my TBR list for quite some time :roll:

I think that i saw a publication of the letters of Charles Darwin - but I can not find them now (loost in my ebook - or were only in my imagination).

Now that I started to think about letters, Vincent Van Gogh has a publications of his letters, most of them to his brother Theo

Edited by BookJumper

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd bump this thread up. I've become very interested lately in collections of letters and have already accumulated a small pile of books. I'll post them later, but in the meantime, what other collections has everyone been reading? Or whose letters would you like to read? (I reckon we could also include diaries here...)

I haven't read anyones letters the nearest I can think of is Anne Frank's diary but I did watch the Kings Speach the other day and on the dvd there is an interview with Louge's grandson and he was talking about the book so I am now interested in reading that not sure if its letters or diary entries or both I must look into it.

Also reading the above I am now interested in reading Vincent Van Gogh's letters.

There are so many, I have to consult my reading blog :blush:

On TBR:

- Ahlqvist, August: Kirjeet - kielimiehen ja kaukomatkailijan viestejä 1845-1889

- Doyle, Ursula (ed.): Love Letters by Great Men and Women

- Plath, Sylvia: Letters Home

- Plath, Sylvia: The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath (RG-B)

On my wishlist:

Letters by Ayn Rand

My Dear Boy: Gay Love Letters through the Centuries by Rictor Norton

Neal Cassady: Collected Letters

The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy by Sofia Tolstoy

The Andy Warhol Diaries by Andy Warhol, Pat Hackett

The Letters of Sylvia Beach by Sylvia Beach

Letters of Ted Hughes by Ted Hughes

There must be loads more though!

Kylie, give us your list and stop keeping us in suspense!

Edited by frankie