Rewriting the Classics

It's... Darcy of the Dead

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains."

It's an opening line that might make Jane Austen turn in her grave - or rise from it with her arms out-stretched.

For writer Seth Grahame-Smith has taken Austen's Regency classic and turned it into Pride and Prejudice with Zombies.

The novel, which uses the the vast majority of Austen's original text, is being touted as the first mainstream literary "mash-up".

It's a bizarre mix of genres which sees Elizabeth Bennet as a kung-fu expert dedicated to wiping out the zombie menace in the quiet village of Meryton.

The publication of the book comes amid plans for a sci-fi horror film in which aliens wreak havoc on a Jane Austen-style period drama.

Elton John's film company, Rocket Pictures, is to start filming Pride and Predator in London later this year.

Here, Grahame-Smith reveals what he thinks Austen herself would have made of all this zombie mayhem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7985728.stm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what to make of it all. I think it will either be brilliant, witty, clever and wild, or it will be an embarassing disaster for all concerned. I don't think there will be any middle ground with this!

I like that the author has a respect and admiration for Jane Austen.

I heard the guy interviewed on The Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning. He sounded pretty cool, intelligent and deferential towards Austen. I'm actually tempted to read the thing. I couldn't stand Austen at school. Consequently haven't touched any since. I find it all most disagreeable. :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Have you read the book? I just read the article maybe a week ago and found the book somewhat disturbing but also intriguing. I don't really know what to think about it! If the book was available in the local library I'd probably give it a go but I don't think I'd buy it, unless someone with a similar taste in books would recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Scarlette - I shall be avoiding this like the plague - Modern versions of classic stories I don't mind. Like Bride And Prejudice and Bridget Jones Diary and Clueless (a modern retelling of Emma) but - please!

No I definitely won't be reading this! I'm too much of a purist!

• 2 months later...

The idea of this book really appealed to me as I am a huge Pride and Prejudice fan and not averse to zombies. However, when I actually read it, I thought it was poorly done. The characters got tampered with so badly they were no longer likeable especially Elizabeth.

You know what? I've just gone and ordered it - despite being a fan of P&P and not usually liking zombie-involvement in anything, this sounds like a lot of fun! :lol:

I've heard it tries to be funny but is highly unoriginal and just, isn't funny :lol:

However, I'm very opened minded, and I'll reserve any form of judgement until it recieves the good or bad opinion of Kell :lol:

However, I'm very opened minded, and I'll reserve any form of judgement until it recieves the good or bad opinion of Kell :lol:

Wow! Thanks for the vote of confidence! :lol:

I quite like the idea of taking a story and being clever with it by changing the words slightly, or the plot. Like some song writers change lyrics to make them more comical. It has to be done carefully though, and clevely. If it's just being 'stupid' then there is very little point, to me.

I just looked it up on Amazon to see how it's doing...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Romance-now-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247472916&sr=1-1

I think, judging by some of the reviews, that opinion is seriously divided. You've got about half of the 26 reviews giving it 5/5 and the rest who absolutely hated it.

I think the only thing for it is getting oneself down to a large, sofa-full Waterstone's, surreptitiously read the first few chapters and see if one likes those. Me, I'm intrigued and scared by the idea in equal measure so I'll probably adopt the above mentioned technique to test-drive the mash-up.