'A room without books is like a body without a soul'

liamwiddows

I'm not sure if I agree with that quote. I often see rooms that are full of vitality and/or depth that don't have any books in them.

I have always preferred this one:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting.

I can't remember who said this at the moment, but it seems a bit more apt to me. :)

Maybe not a room without books, but a house without books certainly. I find it a hard thing to imagine as we only have 3 rooms in our house without books (the bathrooms and kitchen) and even have a bookcase on the top landing. We may atually have to put one in the kitchen soon as all our current bookcases are overflowing.

Maybe not a room without books, but a house without books certainly. I find it a hard thing to imagine as we only have 3 rooms in our house without books (the bathrooms and kitchen) and even have a bookcase on the top landing. We may atually have to put one in the kitchen soon as all our current bookcases are overflowing.

Exactly, even the most avid reader is unlikely to have books in every room. Unless someone genuinely keeps books everywhere, including the airing cupboard..!

A body doesn't actually have a 'soul' anyway IMO, but that's a different issue!

we only have 3 rooms in our house without books (the bathrooms and kitchen)
My parents's house has always had books in the bathroom; now, in the face of the ever-growing collection, actual shelves have been put up in there at last. I'm sure mum wouldn't mind erecting some in the kitchen too, but alas it's a very small kitchen :smile2:!

My parents's house has always had books in the bathroom; now, in the face of the ever-growing collection, actual shelves have been put up in there at last.

:soaking1:What about the steam from the bath/shower? Don't the books get soggy?

My mom has lots of books that have fallen in the tub while she was reading..... I don't let her borrow mine anymore. :D

What about the steam from the bath/shower? Don't the books get soggy? My mom has lots of books that have fallen in the tub while she was reading..... I don't let her borrow mine anymore.
Not really.

The only ones that have ever gotten soggy are those that have taken a dip into the bath (not a common occurrence in our household), however books that one takes into the bath are not usually from the bathroom shelf but rather the ones that are being read at the time.

Books on the bathroom shelf are for, ah, other endeavours :D!