Good books to read while flying.

Ok so I am almost certain of going to the states on Tuesday which means a long flight and a long connection.

Now I have a lot of books to read but I was wondering for some recommendations from people as right now I am not sure what I am going to read.

I like a what I call 'flight book' to be draw you in quickly, fairly simple to read and preferable not huuuuuge as I have to lug it around the airport.

Normally I read Patterson and I do have his new Witch Wizard book to read but hmm not so sure.

So any suggestions would be most welcome.

I love Crime and Thriller type of books, also the Historical Thrillers, like Brown. I also like the whole Vampire thing as I have recently got into them.

But I don't like chick lit, and those real life childhood experiences books. Other than that i will give anything a go!

*Oh and sorry if this has already been made into a thread I did do a search.:tong:

Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire combines a hefty enough tome for flying with and vampires, or if you've already read this one, any of her Vampire Chronicles, while still being small enough to fit into a medium sized handbag and not being heavy.

Alternatively, if you don't mind something a little more supernatural, James Herbert's Ghosts of Sleath, Fluke or The Magic Cottage are wonderful. All of these are thrillers, not too heavy as far as the reading goes, and perfectly sized for the handbag. GoS sees David Ash investigating a series of hauntings in a village called Sleath, Fluke sees a dog (called Fluke) through his adventures of looking for the perfect family and his horrors along the way, with a nice supernatural twist, and The Magic Cottage sees an artistic and very much in love couple move into the ideal country cottage in the woods, with various supernatural happenings.

I am being presumptious, but Dan Brown is heading down the supernatural route anyhow. Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is a lovely little thriller but maintains a sensible and real storyline. The girl gets separated from her mother and brother on a family outing, and this is the story of her survival, alone and desperate.

Finally, if you like Patterson, you may enjoy early Patricia Cornwell, starting with Post-Mortem. These are based on a combination of medical forensics and police detective. The leading lady is one Kay Scarpetta, a forensic pathologist, who in each novel finds herself grippingly involved in different serial murder investigations. Between Kay and her friends Marino and Benton, she forensicly maps her way to the killer...

Edited by Vanwa
typo

If you like the supernatural type stuff, I highly recommend Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, starting with Bitten. She also writes none-supernatural stuff and you may also enjoy her Nadia Stafford series (two so far), the first being Exit Strategy. They're all regular-sized paperbacks and will fit nicely in your handbag for airborne reading.

Nelson DeMille is a good writer. I found and took his 'Plum Island' on a 12 hour flight to Hong Kong a few years back. Really enjoyed his style. 'Plum Island' starts a series of 4 with the central character of John Corey.

Lisa Gardner's 'The Perfect Husband' is another good one, but haven't we had a conversation about her? :tong:

Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire combines a hefty enough tome for flying with and vampires, or if you've already read this one, any of her Vampire Chronicles, while still being small enough to fit into a medium sized handbag and not being heavy.

Alternatively, if you don't mind something a little more supernatural, James Herbert's Ghosts of Sleath, Fluke or The Magic Cottage are wonderful. All of these are thrillers, not too heavy as far as the reading goes, and perfectly sized for the handbag. GoS sees David Ash investigating a series of hauntings in a village called Sleath, Fluke sees a dog (called Fluke) through his adventures of looking for the perfect family and his horrors along the way, with a nice supernatural twist, and The Magic Cottage sees an artistic and very much in love couple move into the ideal country cottage in the woods, with various supernatural happenings.

I am being presumptious, but Dan Brown is heading down the supernatural route anyhow. Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is a lovely little thriller but maintains a sensible and real storyline. The girl gets separated from her mother and brother on a family outing, and this is the story of her survival, alone and desperate.

Finally, if you like Patterson, you may enjoy early Patricia Cornwell, starting with Post-Mortem. These are based on a combination of medical forensics and police detective. The leading lady is one Kay Scarpetta, a forensic pathologist, who in each novel finds herself grippingly involved in different serial murder investigations. Between Kay and her friends Marino and Benton, she forensicly maps her way to the killer...

I have read some of Anne Rices books, including Interview with... Vampire Lestat and Another later one which was really bad. But Queen of the damned might be an idea! That Herbert ones also sounds tempting and I might read that one. I have read the first Patricia Cornwell and I was planning on taking the next one with me. But I will be honest I wasnot overly impressed with it :tong: But It is a must read.

If you like the supernatural type stuff, I highly recommend Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, starting with Bitten. She also writes none-supernatural stuff and you may also enjoy her Nadia Stafford series (two so far), the first being Exit Strategy. They're all regular-sized paperbacks and will fit nicely in your handbag for airborne reading.

I actaully picked up my reservation for Bitten from my local library. As I was told this might be good for the plane the only problem is that my copy has a really small font, which I do struggle to read for a long time. But ill be packing it in my suitcase, if not my hand luggage... I have just reserved Exit Strategy! Thanks Kell!

Nelson DeMille is a good writer. I found and took his 'Plum Island' on a 12 hour flight to Hong Kong a few years back. Really enjoyed his style. 'Plum Island' starts a series of 4 with the central character of John Corey.

Lisa Gardner's 'The Perfect Husband' is another good one, but haven't we had a conversation about her? :exc:

Oh thats sounds very good!! Thanks Chrissy, and yep we did indeed have a little chat about Gardner :(

And of course DEAVER! We should never forget our Mr Deaver. :tong:

I can wholeheartedly second these two recommendations! :exc:

I'd like to add 'The Rosary Girls' by Richard Montanari into the mix, its the first of a great series rather like Tess Gerrisen's 'The Surgeon'. :(

And of course DEAVER! We should never forget our Mr Deaver. :tong:

Yes I have The Bone Collector on my TBR pile and I am seriously thinking about taking it. Thanks for reminding me Chrissy.

I can wholeheartedly second these two recommendations! :exc:

I'd like to add 'The Rosary Girls' by Richard Montanari into the mix, its the first of a great series rather like Tess Gerrisen's 'The Surgeon'. :(

Would you believe I have four of his books. Deviant Ways, Rosary girls, Broken Angels and Play Dead. I have had deviant ways in the 90's and I got Rosary girls since it first came out in Ppaerback all those years ago and would you believe I have never read them. I have always had something esle to read. I think I might read some of them soon.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Yes I have The Bone Collector on my TBR pile and I am seriously thinking about taking it. Thanks for reminding me Chrissy.

Catwoman

Definately recommend The Bone Collector - in my top 25 reads of all time but then again so are a few of Deavers novels including The Coffin Dancer which is based around aircraft and an air company/airport - Don't let the beginning of the book put you off though :D - it's still the safest form of transport! Enjoy the States

Catwoman

Definately recommend The Bone Collector - in my top 25 reads of all time but then again so are a few of Deavers novels including The Coffin Dancer which is based around aircraft and an air company/airport - Don't let the beginning of the book put you off though :D - it's still the safest form of transport! Enjoy the States

I am not the best of flyers I freak out during Turbulence, but once I took a book about 9/11... Stupid Mistake!!!! Hahahaha

Thanks for the recommendations.