The Island by Victoria Hislop

Louiseog

This is one of Richard and Judy's Summer Reads and it is a decent summer read.

It is about the island of Spinalonga which is a leper colony and the small community on the mainland of Crete which supports it from the second world war until today. It does make you think about the effects of a disease like leprosy on people's lives and the different fates which met those who ended up in the colony.

I loved the descriptions of Greek life and the life on the colony. I was not so sure that I really liked the characters that much and felt that they were not perhaps more than two dimensional.

Somehow it is a bit like Eve Green although the story is different, bittersweet and easy.

7/10

(Phew first review ever!)

(Phew first review ever!)

:)

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if they're short, or in depth.. they can all help other people who are looking for ideas / opinions. (Which is just as well, because mine are always short! lol)

• 2 years later...

I enjoyed this book, because the subject matter was interesting and something I'd never read about. I had no idea leprosy was still around in the 20th century, as I'd always assumed it was a medieval disease, so I was fascinated by this novel. It's an easy read, nothing too challenging, and would make an ideal holiday read.

• 2 years later...

At last I can say I have finished it, not that I wasn't enjoying it other bookrings etc came along and interupted the flow.

This was a well written tale of fact/fiction based on an Island in Crete called Spinalonga. Alexis wants to find out more about her mother Sofia's past as all she knows is that she grew up in a small Cretan village. She decides to go to Crete and Sofia gives her a letter to take to an old friend who still lives there. This she does and Fotini takes the time to tell her everything she knows. Alexis is astonished to find that Plaka, the village is only a short distance from the deserted island Spinalonga, the former leper colony. Fotina unravels the truth about her family and she discovers things that her mother has never told her, due to feeling ashamed about the past and memories and facts that she only discovered herself when she was 18.

It was a very moving and emotional read at times, mixed with love, and family secrets, illness, grief and filled with strong characters. I had know idea that this place ever existed. Very well researched and insight into such a devastating time for those who suffered from leprosy.

4/5

I agree! A very emotional book full of family drama and family tragedies and the ups and downs of love. I read it a couple of years ago and promptly forced it onto everyone else. I personally found the first part of the book while still interesting a little slow but it steadily gained momentum as it rolled into the second part and reached the conclusion at full speed, I just couldn't put it down!

My heart broke for the father and the mother (its been a while and I regretfully can't remember names sorry!) when she was sent away. And I practically screamed with fury at the elder sister!

brilliant book, I've been told that 'The Return' is also excellent but haven't read it yet.

Alicia

Hope you don't mind Inver, but I was sure I'd posted in a thread about this book before, and I just found it here ... http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/480-the-island-by-victoria-hislop. It's a very short thread, but funnily enough you have posted in it (5 years ago) saying you might get it!

I personally found the first part of the book while still interesting a little slow but it steadily gained momentum as it rolled into the second part and reached the conclusion at full speed, I just couldn't put it down!

That is how I felt too Alicia, maybe why I took a bit of time to read it.

Hope you don't mind Inver, but I was sure I'd posted in a thread about this book before, and I just found it here ... http://www.bookclubf...ictoria-hislop. It's a very short thread, but funnily enough you have posted in it (5 years ago) saying you might get it!

So I see....I did a search thingy for it but nothing came up. I'm never sure if I use it properly

I've done a merging! Did you feel the forum glue go all warm and oozy for a moment there? :P

Thanks for merging.:wink:

Unfortunately I couldn’t get on with this book. Every time I started to think “its getting interesting now” it stopped getting interesting. I found it hard to relate to the characters (possibly due to there being so many of them or dare I say because they had foreign names). I really switched off in the middle when the war came but war in books has that effect on me anyway. It really wasn’t what I was expecting I had assumed that the majority of it would be set on the leper island and to be more focused on how they dealt with their illnesses and the emotions that came with it.

For me the book would have been largely improved if the present ay story had been taken out of it. I can see that if it was a film then having “flashbacks” would have work a lot better but for a novel I felt it took some of the feeling out of the story. I would have preferred it to be told from the point of view of the teacher and her husband (their names have long escaped me).

However everyone I know who has read it loved it so perhaps I was just reading it with the wrong frame of mind.

• 2 weeks later...