Any Bukowski Fans Here?

Raoul Duke

• 3 weeks later...

I love Bukowski, need to get more though. Started with Post office, then, Ham on rye, Factotum, Women and most recently read Notes from a dirty old man which is short stories of twisted drunkenness. Only problem with Bukowski is that every time I re-read one, I have to fight my inner demons that are screaming at me to go buy the cheapest bottle of whisky I can find and BECOME Hank. Think Post office is my favourite, certainly the one I've read most. Even went as far as recently looking into getting a job in a sorting office! Ever seen the film of Factotum? Not great but Matt Dillon does a pretty good job

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really must read Notes [...]. I have read Factotum, Ham on Rye (my personal favourite), and Post Office. If you like Bukowski then you should also read some John Fante, as you can really see where some of Bukowski's influences came from in Fante's work.

I shall probably watch Factotum today, as I haven't done yet. It'll be interesting to see what was done with it!

I love Bukowski, need to get more though. Started with Post office, then, Ham on rye, Factotum, Women and most recently read Notes from a dirty old man which is short stories of twisted drunkenness. Only problem with Bukowski is that every time I re-read one, I have to fight my inner demons that are screaming at me to go buy the cheapest bottle of whisky I can find and BECOME Hank. Think Post office is my favourite, certainly the one I've read most. Even went as far as recently looking into getting a job in a sorting office! Ever seen the film of Factotum? Not great but Matt Dillon does a pretty good job

That is a dilemma indeed :D

I've only read Post Office, and I can't say I remember much about the plot or the characters, just that I didn't dislike the book but it wasn't one of my most favorite reads ever, either. I'm really curious about Bukowski though, I think he's one of those writers who you either get or don't. Notes from a Dirty Old Man is on one of my reading challenges so I think I will start with that one when I have the time.

I nearly choked on my cup of tea then, I read the thread title as Any Bukaki Fans Here?

(If you don't know what that is leave it be, and for the love of God don't Google it!)

:lol: L-O-L! For some reason it's spelled 'bukkake' over here. No idea what the original spelling is. And yes, I agree: Don't go googling it if you don't know what it means. Image googling in particular is a definite NO-NO!

I nearly choked on my cup of tea then, I read the thread title as Any Bukaki Fans Here?

(If you don't know what that is leave it be, and for the love of God don't Google it!)

Oh, gross! (Surely you knew that by telling us not to Google it, it was only going to make us want to know more.)

:lol:!

Oh, gross! (Surely you knew that by telling us not to Google it, it was only going to make us want to know more.)

So true!

I've read half of the stories from Tales of Ordinary Madness so far.

I've only finished reading pulp(awesome!) but I started hollywood just never got around to finishing it. I've seen the movie barfly with micky rourke and a documentary on him... definitely an interesting dude. I think its good to watch the documentary on him to get a feel for how he talks. I always read it in my mind in his style... makes an already enjoyable experience all the more entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read two of his, Post Office, and one other, I forget which one that was as I read them long ago. I did enjoy both especially Post Office; I remember that because I was working for the Post office myself at the time.

He certainly led a colorful life.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently reading Ham on Rye and I'm absolutely loving it. I'd read/heard somewhere that it's an autobiography but having now read most of the book I doubt it's all true? Any Bukowskiette out there who'd like to enlighten me?

I've only read Post Office before, but I'd like to read more Bukowski now, any recommendations? Is there some order his (Chinaski) books should be read in?