Inver Reading List(s)

Inver

'The Butterfly House' by Marcia Preston

Recommend this one

'Roberta and Cynthia are destined to be good friends forever. When both your fathers are missing you have a lot in common. Unable to cope with her alcoholic mother, Roberta finds Cynthia's house the perfect carefree refuge.

Cynthia's mother keeps beautiful rare butterflies in her sunporch and she's everything Roberta wishes her own mother could be. But just like the delicate creatures they nurture, the women are living in a hothouse.

Years later, a hauntingly familiar stranger knocks on Roberta's door'

Read as part of a bookring on bookcrossing my review.

Loved the book. Liked the way it was written. So wanted to see where the butterflies lived in Lenora''s house. Nearly needed tissues towards the end though. Liked all the characters. Would have finished it sooner on my hols but was only finding time to read it at night and kepts falling asleep, but was nothing to do with it not holding my interest. Must put Marcia Preston on my wish list. Anyone else read others by her?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The Tea House on Mulberry Street' by Sharon Owens

What a lovely easy read. Based around 'The Tea House' it tells the story of the lives of those who use the tea house. Offered and running as bookring on Bookcrossing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'Say When' by Elizabeth Berg

Bit boring, but was a bookring on bookcrossing so read it and passed it on. First of this author I had read but won't put me off reading another of hers. Relationship turmoil of will they divorce or not....all turned out for the best in the end.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:friends0:My Reading List 2008:D

'Gang of Four' by Liz Byrski (Transita/bookring on Bookcrossing)

Finished at last. Another Transita book ticked of the list. I really enjoyed the book and should have gotten stuck in to it sooner. Four woman who name themselves the Gang of Four. They all reach a part of their lives they want to change and go about doing so. Loved all the characters and their outlook on life. I can appreciate how some of them felt stuck in a rut and wanting to make changes to their lives, but having the determination to do something about it is another matter. It is lovely to hear of a bunch of friends who see each other through the good and bads times (I know I have these kind of friends). The end of the book was very moving but lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

'Toppling Miss April' by Adrienne Dines (Transita)

'Playing with the Moon' by Eliza Graham

(both bookcrossing bookrings)

Gave up with 'Miss April' characters were irritating me, was a bit of a comedy, but just wasn't in the mood for reading that time of book.

'Playing with the Moon' is well worth reading. Intriguing story that starts off with a skeleton being found on a beach!

• 3 weeks later...

'A Friend of the Family by Titia Sutherland

Easy read relationship type story.It was a trial separation, and for Kate it hadn't really worked - she still loved Matt, and she was lonely. If it hadn't been for a friend of the family she didn't think she could have coped.

• 4 weeks later...

'Can't Wait to Get to Heaven ' by Fannie Flagg

Anyone who has read any of her books will love this one. Elner has a fall from a tree while collecting figs, it then transpires that she has died!!! Or has she? Amusing and touching well worth a read. The news spreads of her death and there follows the story and how it affects everyone who knew/knows her.

• 2 weeks later...

'Tuesday Night at the Kazbah' by Patricia Kitchin (Transita)

Easy read about a group of woman who attend a belly dancing class. Their lives intermingle in more ways than one. A wide range of characters, some you like, others you aren't quite sure about.

'Animal Dreams' by Barbara Kingsolver

Maybe I just took too long to read this, but I found myself losing interest and not finishing it, which I hate doing. Was skimming over the story and eventually lost what it was about. I'm sure it was a good read though had I read it in one and not stop/started.

• 2 weeks later...

'Neptune's Daughter' by Beryl Kingston (Transita)

Another bookring from Bookcrossing I joined. Easy enough read, non taxing family saga, widowed mother buys property, two daughters come to terms with her doing her own thing, eldest daughter assumes her mother will look after her baby while she goes back to work, or will she! A bit twee in places.

• 1 month later...

'Redemption' by Kay Langdale (Transita)

I joined this as a part of a bookring on Bookcrossing and glad I did. Was a lovely read. Six women, six different but interconnected relationships and they all come together beautifully at the end.

'After You'd Gone' by Maggie O'Farrell

Wonderful, compelling read. Recommended. This is the first of Maggie O'Farrell I have read, but don't think it will be the last.

Edited by Inver