Greetings from Germany

Julia

Hello,

my name is Julia, I'm 27 years old and I live in the south of Germany.

I really love reading and I am a member in various german book forums. But I like reading english books and so I am searching for a place about those books. I read many different kind of books. I really like all types of cozy mysteries (and this is a kind of books rarely translated into german, so I have to read the english books). I also love children and youth books and fantasy. A long time I was a great fan of all kind of historical books but at the moment I can't really read this kind of book. Well, I am sure after a pause there will come a time when I will love those books again.

Now I will go and look around here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Greetings from Germany

Julia

Hello Julia and welcome to the forum, I think this is just the place for you! :) Since you're from Germany and enjoy cozy mysteries, I was wondering if you've read Leonie Swann's Three Bags Full and if so, did you enjoy it? I have that book on my TBR and can't wait to read it :)

Hi frankie,

yes, I read Leonie Swans novel. I really love sheep and so it was a must-read for me. I must say, I enjoyed it. But I know some people who didn't like it at all. It's a really lovely book, but it isn't really a mystery story. So all the people who were waiting for a real thriller were disappointed. But as I said, I really enjoyed the book, it's so funny.

There will be a second book around the herd, it will be out in february in Germany. Of course I will read it, but I must admit, I am sceptically. I am not sure if the concept can work a second time.

Nevertheless, I wish you a lot of fun with Three Bags Full :)

Thanks for your thoughts on Three Bags Full Julia, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I dare say I did think it was a real mystery novel but I don't mind, I think it'll be a lovely read anyway. I've read some lines from the first page and the writing style seems really funny. And it's nice to read a book from a unique point-of-view, I can't remember any other novels where sheep are the narrators :) By the way, do you like other animal stories? There are a couple of must-read novels for doglovers for example, ones that some of the people on here have enjoyed, books like John Grogan's Marley and Me, Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Even though you wouldn't be interested in those kinds of books, I do want to warn you that your list of books to be read will increase alarmingly while you're on here :)

Well, I don't know the books you mentioned but yes, I think I do like animal stories. For example, I really like the stories from Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown.

And than, there is a german author, Andrea Schacht. She writes historical stories, and cats are very important. And some of her books are told from the point of view of a cat, and I think they are the best!

So, I think it is clear by now, I am not really a dog-lover but a cat-lover.

So, if anyone know some more cat-stories...

Andrea Schacht sounds interesting, I'm going to add her to my list of authors I might want to read at some point, thanks Julia! :)

I don't know any actual cat-stories, but I do know that Haruki Murakami, this awesome Japanese writer tends to have cats in his novels. If you're interested, here's a thread on him :)

Hello, welcome, have some cat-book suggestions :):

- Tad Williams, Tailchaser's Song. Absolutely fantabulous fantasy book about cats, one of my favourite books as a child (although I don't think it's actually a children's book).

- Rudyard Kipling, The Cat That Walked by Himself (this is actually a short-story for children, but does it matter, when the story is this good?).

- Julia Jarman, The Time-Travelling Cat (another childhood favourite). Should you like it, it's a series.

- T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Pratical Cats, aka the collection of poetry the musical Cats is based on.

- Lilian Jackson Braun, The Cat Who ... series. I plan to read at least one of these cat-mysteries at some point, as there's one called The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare.

- Soseki Natsume, I Am a Cat. Haven't read this yet but fully intend to, it sounds brilliant if a bit difficult to describe.

I also remember reading a really moving (fictional) book about a cat that walked an incredibly great distance to get back home to his/her owner(s?), but alas I cannot remember the author or title :)!

Hello and welcome to BCF, Julia! :)

I can definitely recommend one of my favorite cosy series of the Jonathan Argyle mysteries by Iain Pears. There are 7 of them, all about modern-day art theft. I've re-read them several times :).

Oh, here are other german readers :)

And members from Portsmouth. That's the town where I have lived for 4 month and which I still miss.

Thanks for all the wellcomes and reading suggestions!

I allready bought The Time-Travelling Cat.