Sick of same old, are these any good? :)

atticjnr

Today I finished a Terry Pratchett and started on another fantasy book called "Dragon... umm, something" and as you can guess, it is another stereotypical fantasy book and I found myself guessing everything that was about to happen and I was only about 30 pages of around 800 in.

I decided I needed to broaden my bookish-horizons, so to speak, and went to Foyles where I spent about an hour looking through the Classics, as I have previously really enjoyed a few even though it isn't a type of book I read regularly, and decided on three books. I just wanted to know if anyone has read them and what their views on them were.

I apologise if there are separate threads for these; I just thought getting them all in the same place would be useful for me. (That sounds very self-centered. I apologise again.)

The books are:

Norman Collins - London Belongs to Me

Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Oscar Wilde - Complete Shorter Fiction (I know this isn't an individual novel but anyone with views on his shorter works would be grand.)

Edited by atticjnr

Ah thank you.

I have started London Belongs to Me and so far I'm enjoying it and the whole concept of the story intrigues me. I know Wilde is a genius; I have read Dorian Gray ages ago and loved it, which reminds me it's due for a re-read when I find who I lent it to.

I may add to the posts about London Belongs to Me when I find it and have finished the book.

Any other reads that are set in old London, similar to LBTM?

:D

Ah thank you.

I have started London Belongs to Me and so far I'm enjoying it and the whole concept of the story intrigues me.... I may add to the posts about London Belongs to Me when I find it and have finished the book.

Any other reads that are set in old London, similar to LBTM?

:D

LBTM is certainly mentioned in the first couple of posts on my reading thread. I loved it!

Another one I equally enjoyed was Michael Moorcock's Mother London. The reviews listed as the three most helpful on Amazon say everything I would want to say (and better!), so suggest a quick perusal of those.

Read Oscar Wilde.

Short stories (I love The Canterville Ghost), plays (I love The Importance Of Being Earnest), and his only novel, The Picture Of Dorian Gray.

If you don't love him, your soul is about as reedeemable as Dorian's.

:friends0:

Ah thanks everyone for letting me know. I am really enjoying LBTM and think already I can safely say that I would recommend it, especially if anyone has an interest in 30's London! It's really interesting.

I can't recommend it... as I haven't read it! However, I have my eye on this, which is non-fiction (I don't know if that appeals to you or not?). It was written in about 1950.

Ah thanks everyone for letting me know. I am really enjoying LBTM and think already I can safely say that I would recommend it, especially if anyone has an interest in 30's London! It's really interesting.

Great choice of book atticjnr. I love Norman Collins and once you have finished LBTM, - a film of it was made years ago with Richard Attenborough as Percy - you may enjoy Bond Street Story. I don't know how easily available it is as it's been out of print for a while (I think) but it is a lovely story.

If you are also interested in books set in 30's London, then you really MUST read Angel Pavement by J B Priestley, my all time favourite book. It is set in a fictitious road in London and centres around the comings and goings of a group of people who work in a firm in Angel Pavement, the writing is just glorious.

Edited by SueK

• 2 months later...

You can't go wrong with Oscar Wilde. I defy anyone to read The Happy Prince without sobbing loudly! The Importance of Being Earnest and An Ideal Husband are quite rightly hugely popular but Lady Windermere's Fan is my personal favourite...absolutely heartbreaking!