• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am currently reading this book and it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. One of the best things about it and what Mantel is undoubtedly gifted in is she takes what could have been a quite boring subject and weaves a detailed and intriguing back story for Cromwell.

Most of it must be imagined and embroidered by her such as the dialogue and the descriptions but she makes it so believable that she has me hooked. Cromwell appeared to me a boring character from the Tudor period being I thought either a politician or a churchman unlike Anne Boleyn or Henry VIII or Elizabeth I etc but I am now fascinated.

6/10 is way too low. Can't think what else this person reads to give it a 6/10. They have obviously never read any really bad books.

• 2 weeks later...
6/10 is way too low. Can't think what else this person reads to give it a 6/10. They have obviously never read any really bad books.

A friend of mine recently tried to read Wolf Hall and gave up after 90 pages. On talking to him about it he echoed almost exactly what the review above says.

Unperturbed, I dived into it a couple of days ago and am currently about 320 pages in - and I think it's utterly brilliant. I feared the worst after my friend gave his views but nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps there is an element of reverse psychology going on. I certainly wish he'd given it more of a chance but, in the end, it just comes down to differing tastes. I think Mantel's writing style flows wonderfully, and it's carried me along to the point where only the need for sleep has stopped me from reading all night. The 'he' business mentioned in the review has not really jumped out at me at all.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished Wolf Hall, and I loved it! I hope there is a follow up soon as it is one of my best reads this year! On finishing the book, I just wanted to know what happened to Thomas Cromwell next!

However I have to agree with the use of 'He' as detailed in Readwine's review.

I noticed it early on, and decided if I just stick to the rule 'the 'He' in question is always Thomas Cromwell' I was able to filter it out, and enjoy the novel. I then noticed that later in the book Mantel started to say 'He, Cromwell,...' instead.

However this did not spoil my enjoyment of the book, and I also think 6/10 is way too low!

So I'm giving Wolf Hall 9/10!

• 5 weeks later...

After starting this book in February and after picking it up...putting it down several times I finally finished it last night. Incredible book. Yes it felt like a mammoth task to pick it up each time but as soon as I did I was there. Normally, I tend to skim the odd bits of books, but with this one I felt I had to read every single word properly as it was so intricate and you could so easily lose some brilliant nuances.

I'm looking forward to the sequel although with some trepidation because I know that bit of history...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eliza1

I loved this book. I also want a sequel because I know that Thomas Cromwell was executed for various reasons and I've read that King Henry VIII later expressed regret for the execution of someone he considered a true friend. The writing style I found confusing at times too and had to re-read many pages and paragraphs. The bibliography of characters at the start of the book is a must, I would have been lost without it ..

• 4 weeks later...

Very interesting to read people's thoughts on this book. I have been reading it for about a week and I agree that the writing style appears to be confusing, but somehow the meaning seems to come through. It does need very careful reading, but the character list is an invaluable help. Its not my style or type of book at all but its really intriguing me and I can't put it down. I would definitely recommend giving it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I read this earlier in the year and loved it. I found the writing style to be a bit of a hurdle but only because I wanted to speed through the book and get to the end. I forced myself to slow down and absorb the book properly.

I can't wait for the sequel!

• 5 months later...

I agree that the writing style left it somewhat confusing in places. At the beginning it did get in the way of the story for me, left me constantly re-reading bits and getting frustrated. However, I did overcome it mostly once I assumed he meant cromwell.

Good story, has left me wanting to know more about the history of the monarchy. I would have rated it 8/10 but the awkward writing style has lost it an extra point. 7/10

I am in two minds about it because I had have it is a bit of a struggle but I have enjoyed the other Hilary Mantel books I have read, so you never can tell, if I see it in Tescos, I will pick up a copy :)

Edited by Weave

A friend of mine recently tried to read Wolf Hall and gave up after 90 pages. On talking to him about it he echoed almost exactly what the review above says.

Unperturbed, I dived into it a couple of days ago and am currently about 320 pages in - and I think it's utterly brilliant. I feared the worst after my friend gave his views but nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps there is an element of reverse psychology going on. I certainly wish he'd given it more of a chance but, in the end, it just comes down to differing tastes. I think Mantel's writing style flows wonderfully, and it's carried me along to the point where only the need for sleep has stopped me from reading all night. The 'he' business mentioned in the review has not really jumped out at me at all.

I agree. I started this with some trepidation about the style (present tense, confusing use of he) but so far about 100 pages in I'm really enjoying it. I had been interested in this book since it was first published, but had been put off by the comments about the writing style. Only bought it as it was on offer at Waterstones before Christmas.

I loved this book; one of the best historical novels I have read. I studied the Tudors many years ago and this made it them come alive. The only problem with the sequel will be that I know the ending!!! But I suppose the fun is in the getting there.